“Austin Restaurant in San Antonio”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Monterey - CLOSED

The Monterey
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Modern food, broad selection of American craft beers and terroir-driven wine; awesome patio; walking distance from downtown; open until midnight.
Houston, Texas
“Austin Restaurant in San Antonio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

El Monterey could have been in Austin. Very laid back, ecclectic food - good. Everyone was ordering the brussel sprouts (which I dislike) but since all around me seemed to know what they wanted, I placed an order too .... very good, very tasty and will order again. They ran out of the lamb so I had the rabbit, it was excellent. The frits could have come straight from Brussels, really very good. Service was friendly. Sat outdoors the night was great. Fun place.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank roadwarrior50

kerrville
“Food Eclectic food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

The service, food and value were very good. Menu changes with fresh item availability and there was an ecclectic mix of tastes.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank skgcdl
San Antonio
“I love the Monty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

I'm not sure I get the 'Hipster' thing that everyone mentions. The Monty is fun and funky but not pretentious or over-bearing. The bottom line and truly the only thing you need to know is that the food is fantastic- but no, it's not the same every week (because they source their products locally), some of it is kinda weird sometimes (but it will usually work, just trust them), and sometimes they get slammed and the servers are busy. Not everyone is going to like it- my mother hated it, in fact. You have to be comfortable in trusting that they don't want to serve you food you don't like but they also want to challenge things a bit. Tonight we ordered their curried cauliflower- we always get it when it's on the menu because it's to die for. We also ordered the smoked calamari- YUM- excellent smokey flavors and we ordered the foie gras on toast. Clearly, it's a bit eclectic. They do serve as it's ready so order stuff you want to share. The beer and wine list is extensive and ever changing. We only live a couple of blocks away so we come often. If you want to come hang out in a great outdoor garden, eat some good food and have a drink, then you'll enjoy it. Leave room for dessert if you can- that's always something interesting. Tonight it was the home-made smores pop-tart with toasted marshmallow fluff. Seriously- how could that be bad?

• Visited August 2012
Houston, Texas
“Oh My... Good Stuff!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Was reccomended by a local & was one of the best meals of our trip! Fried Green Tomatoes w/ Fried Eggs & Remoulade, Pancakes w/ Local Honey & Fried Sweetbreads... Awesome Mimosas... AND a Freshly Made Boston Creme Donught for Dessert! Since when do ya get dessert w/breakfast/ brunch?!? Well, I'm not complaining, 'cause it WORKED!!! I would be a regular if I lived around here. And I'd prob weigh 300 pounds (5'2")... But worth every bite! At least for brunch, give them a shot... Wish they were in Houston! Cute patio & good service as well!

1 Thank cdh713
San Antonio, Texas
“Wanted to like it, but hated the too funky food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

This place is a favorite of a colleague who loves eclectic food. I was excited to try it. I generally love food from different regions and was sure I would enjoy it. My husband and I ordered several items and honestly only liked the fries. The other items seemed to be the result of trying too hard and the flavors and textures put me off. We left feeling unsatisfied and slightly nauseous. I guess we are in the category that does not get the place.

• Visited July 2012