“Mimi's at the Rim”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have been eating at this Mimi's since it opened a few years ago, so we are familiar with it. We had lunch there today, and I have to give it a mixed review. My spouse ordered meatloaf, mashed potatoes with gravy and sautéed baby spinach. He was very satisfied with his dinner, although he thought the slice of meatloaf was previously cooked, sliced, frozen and reheated. It did not look fresh nor appetizing to me. I ordered the Fish and Chips, but substituted sautéed baby spinach for the fries and spring salad with a balsamic dressing for the cole slaw. The salad and spinach were extremely fresh and tasty. The deep fried four cod filets, however, were floating in grease. They were also very much over cooked. Our wonderful, attentive waitress immediately called the manager over to see it. He, in turn, swiftly banished the offensive dish to the kitchen and in a few blinks of the eye returned with four new filets, which had a golden hue instead of the previous ones that were very dark brown. He even brought a new spinach dish, even though I had consumed most of the original already. He apologized for it all and insisted on comping my meal for "my trouble." You cannot improve on such customer oriented service. Now I hate to end on a dour note, but I would be less than forthright if I didn't add that I still cannot recommend the fish. Even though the replacement was an improvement, Mimi's needs to change the breading and cook it at a higher temperature, so that the cooking oil isn't absorbed so much. I have had this meal at many other restaurants in San Antonio and all are better than Mimi's Fish and Chips. Tell corporate they will see why if they order this dish for themselves. This being said, Mimi's has a varied menu with lots of tasty selections, so do give them a try. No place is perfect.

There are newer reviews for Mimi's Cafe

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Went out for dinner in late April at Mimi's and found the old charm and service was back! Good food, excellent service and good atmosphere. They have made some very positive changes. Congrats to the staff!

Reviewed March 25, 2014

Mimi's is above average for theme, chain restaurants. The quality is consistent and service is normally good. Love their breads and also healthy fare. They have many good discounts all year.

1  Thank dwinningham
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Very good brunch omelets. Both the avocado omelet and the Marseilles omelet were prepared and presented beautifully. Neither was overcooked and the ingredients were also cooked al'dente.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

I keep hoping for a better than average meal and it does happen as a sometimes thing. Today I had on of the Madame burgers for lunch that came on a brioche bu and topped with a fried egg. Had it done medium. It was so juicy that between the flowing egg yolk and the meat juices I went through 3 large napkins. My wife was not so lucky with overdone fish and chips. Also, the batter was pretty thick and the accompanying cole slaw was very lackluster. What a shame! Mu wife swore the waitress had an attitude but I did not notice it.

Anyway, with a little more attention from the kitchen, the food might be really good. It's those little things that turn Mon Ami in to Moan Mimi.

1  Thank OmniEpicurean