“Food quality is deplorable”
Review of The Barn Door

The Barn Door
Ranked #112 of 4,727 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Crownhill
Reviewed July 21, 2012

While on vacation, we wanted to get away from the River Walk restaurants and head to something more special. After some research, we decided to take a drive out to the Barn Door in search of good food in a relaxed atmosphere. The hams hanging from the ceiling and checkered tablecloths certainly imparted a casual atmosphere, but you'll want to head elsewhere if you're looking for good food.

We were really excited about our dinner due to the reputation of the restaurant. My party of three decided to order an appetizer: gulf crab-stuffed jalapenos. They were boring--they could have come out of a freezer the taste was so bland. The stuffing had no texture and did not taste of crab at all. Meh.

I ordered a Royal Filet - ($30) for like 14oz I believe. I asked for medium rare. It took awhile considering it was not that crowded. The friendly waitress asked that I check the temperature of my beef. It looked okay--not really medium rare but more like medium. It was wrapped in a piece of bacon. Now, I know filet is not the most flavorful piece of meat, but this steak was horribly bland. It had no flavor--other than bacon. I love bacon, but I don't want my $30 steak to taste only of bacon. Seriously, good beef just needs salt and coarse pepper. This had absolutely ZERO seasoning. The texture of the beef was also strange. Sort of stringy. The cook had seared it at too high of temperature because the outer edges were sort of gray and tough. What a huge disappointment. The other guests in my party also had terribly bland steaks that were also somewhat overcooked.

So, if you're in search of a delectable steak full of flavor and prepared with some finesse, better head elsewhere. We'll remember the Barn Door as one of our greatest disappointments of our visit to San Antonio. Chain-type steakhouses serve much, much better food than this, sadly.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

Went for a birthday dinner on Saturday. Waitresses too busy chatting with each other to serve drinks or take order. Despite service, fod was as great as it has been since I first visited in 1960. Went for lunch today (Wednesday). Waited 15 minutes for water, 20 minutes longer for salad. Salad had no flavor. Paid $12 for a large plate of tasteless lettuce, four tomato slices, four cucumber slices and a small delicious filet. Th new owner has to do better or it will be the end of the Barn Door.
Sad!

1  Thank Connie P
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I had Sunday lunch at the Barn Door today and I'm happy to report the filet mignon is as perfect as ever! They've done away with the generous plate of salad and the huge dispensers of dressings on each table; now you get a small bowl of salad and syrup-sized dressing dispensers, but the dressings are tasty as always. They still serve the homemade rolls, but now with real butter-- a big improvement over that nasty oleo mix so many places try to pass off as butter nowadays. The Barn Door is also open for Sunday lunch now (also a positive change) but here's hoping they expand the Sunday lunch offerings, because lunch for one today (the medium filet and iced tea) came to nearly $30 and that's way too costly to make it a habit!

Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is a tresure in San Antonio. It is not a new restaurant. It has been here for over fifty years.
When you arrive, you are always greeted by folks who are truly interested in you having a wonderful dining experience and that you will feel comfortable while you are their guests.
The steaks are all hand cut by the staff, the drink list is new and the wine list may pleasantly surprise you. The desserts are all homemade and tempting!
The staff is genuine and knowledgeable about the menu and will remember you should you choose to return and have another great evening.
I have NEVER had a bad meal at the Barn Door.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

The Barn Door has been around a long time and the food is still as good as it was when I went there in the 60's.