“Great pastries”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Tuleta
Transit: Bus Stop in both directions to and from downtown, within easy walking distance.
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I had heard so much about this place and was really looking forward to eating here. The pastries loved up to expectations and more; moist, light and really good. Our meal , however, was disappointing. My grilled cheese sandwich was simply a bun split in half and toasted, 2 small pieces of cheese ( no idea what cheese) melted in the middle of each half and one small strawberry. It was dry & boring. My husband's non vegetarian sandwich was marginally better because he got a salad but he was not impressed. It is expensive for what you get. I will probably buy their pastries again but would not eat there.
It is an old home converted and that's pretty nice.

1  Thank JYPA

Reviewed January 3, 2014

I have eaten in this place twice, during a business week in San Antonio. The place is very very simple, the ladies are friendly and the food is gluten free. It's perfect for a simple Sunday Brunch or a simple lunch with friends or family. The food is absolutely delicious and the bread is the best of all. They have also food (fresh or frozen) to take away

Reviewed October 24, 2013

I went here recently for lunch. I had read about it, and being gluten intolerant was beyond excited to go have lunch somewhere where there was 0% of me being glutened. They have baked items such as bread, breadcrumbs, and frozen stuff like meat pies, pies, etc, as well as orderable lunch food and desserts. Between the two of us, we spent $58 on lunch and a loaf of bread! Granted, we ordered 3 slices of cake, but it was still extremely steep for the amount of food. We ordered a pizza, which was very good with a crispy crust, and a roast beef sandwich which was lackluster and small. The desserts were fantastic.The restaurant is also run out of a converted bungalow, and the ambiance would be best described as rustic and mom-and-pop-owned. Not too many tables inside.

Their white sandwich loaf is THE best GF bread I've had (but only when toasted.) Untoasted, it's kind of spongy, but when toasted it transforms into almost an almost gluten experience.

I probably won't eat here again due to the price, but will continue buying their loaves of bread.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

While staying in San Antonio we didn't have a car and were trying to save every dollar possible, which meant walking instead of taking the bus. So we walked all the way from the other side of San Antonio town to get to this little cafe. It is literally situated in what feels like the middle of nowhere.

It was worth the walk. Everything is gluten free. Not only that, but it tastes delicious. A wide variety of food on their menus, from burgers to pies to sandwiches. The cakes and sweet treats are delicious and they have a freezer full of frozen foods you can purchase to take away with you.

Just delicious. Even if you're not gluten free!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Two members of my family eat gluten free, so we are always on the lookout for restaurant options that will accommodate their diet when traveling. On a recent trip to San Antonio I read several positive reviews about The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe so my wife and I decided to give them a try.

The facility is rather small and has about 8-10 small tables inside the restaurant, and two small tables out on the front porch. Ordering is done at the counter before being seated. The lady who took our order was very friendly and answered several questions we had about the menu, as well as additional to-go items that are available for purchase. My wife ordered the waffle and I had the french toast. The waffle was a traditional Belgian waffle which she said was very good. The french toast was rather unique as it was fried and had a similar taste and consistency as a churro (anyone from Texas will know about churros if you have been to a local fairground). I will say that the portion was quite large and had a small amount of whipped cream, a few berries and syrup.

One thing that really surprised my wife was when she ordered her drink. She asked the cashier if they had juice for sale, and was told that they had orange and pineapple juice. My wife ordered pineapple and was handed a small can of dole pineapple juice and a cup. We have found that many restaurants which are health conscious tend to have fresh squeezed juices, so this was a bit of a head scratcher.

We decided to purchase an apple pie to take with us as well as a few slices of Italian Cream cake and share with the family. The pie was so-so, but the cake was very moist and creamy. Cakes are quite expensive ($50-55 each), but if you long for a delicious, gluten free cake, it seems you can't go wrong here.

If you are want to order a specialty item or cake, it is highly recommended to call in advance, as the selection of cakes in the display is a bit limited, compared to what is on the menu. We were told the eclairs were quite good, and should have thought to call in advance to had some made for our arrival.

I would definitely like to go back and try the lunch menu as there is a large selection of breads and sandwiches available, all of which are gluten free.