“Gluten Free Options Galore”
Review of The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Tuleta
Transit: Bus Stop in both directions to and from downtown, within easy walking distance.
Fort Worth, Texas
“Gluten Free Options Galore”
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Two members of my family eat gluten free, so we are always on the lookout for restaurant options that will accommodate their diet when traveling. On a recent trip to San Antonio I read several positive reviews about The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe so my wife and I decided to give them a try.

The facility is rather small and has about 8-10 small tables inside the restaurant, and two small tables out on the front porch. Ordering is done at the counter before being seated. The lady who took our order was very friendly and answered several questions we had about the menu, as well as additional to-go items that are available for purchase. My wife ordered the waffle and I had the french toast. The waffle was a traditional Belgian waffle which she said was very good. The french toast was rather unique as it was fried and had a similar taste and consistency as a churro (anyone from Texas will know about churros if you have been to a local fairground). I will say that the portion was quite large and had a small amount of whipped cream, a few berries and syrup.

One thing that really surprised my wife was when she ordered her drink. She asked the cashier if they had juice for sale, and was told that they had orange and pineapple juice. My wife ordered pineapple and was handed a small can of dole pineapple juice and a cup. We have found that many restaurants which are health conscious tend to have fresh squeezed juices, so this was a bit of a head scratcher.

We decided to purchase an apple pie to take with us as well as a few slices of Italian Cream cake and share with the family. The pie was so-so, but the cake was very moist and creamy. Cakes are quite expensive ($50-55 each), but if you long for a delicious, gluten free cake, it seems you can't go wrong here.

If you are want to order a specialty item or cake, it is highly recommended to call in advance, as the selection of cakes in the display is a bit limited, compared to what is on the menu. We were told the eclairs were quite good, and should have thought to call in advance to had some made for our arrival.

I would definitely like to go back and try the lunch menu as there is a large selection of breads and sandwiches available, all of which are gluten free.

• Visited May 2013

Kansas City, MO
“Absolutely superb gluten free food at Little Aussie”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Having learned about this place via the internet we were pleased to have lunch here today. This place is nothing short of fantastic. They have a great and interesting menu, and some of the most delicious looking cakes and baked goods you've ever seen. I had a delicious lamb sandwich that came with red pepper relish and a pesto also, served with a very fresh salad. Others in our party had excellent soup and pepperoni pizza. They gave us excellent garlic rolls to start and the texture of all the bread and bun items was among the best ever. This is unique place and everyone should support this fine local business. Highly recommended!

• Visited February 2013
San Antonio
“Good, even if you're not Gluten Free”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife loves this place and so I was naturally curious after trying their fresh in-house baked bread. At home I thought it to be sourdough bread only to find out it was gluten free. So on a cool Sunday morning we visited their quaint little baker off Broadway for brunch.

I had the French toast and with a side of bacon and coffee. Simple. The French toast was excellent and filling. The syrup was more like thick honey, lightly drizzled over it reminding me of a childhood memory of Indian Fry Bread in Arizona. The bacon, well... nothing mind-blowing here. The "side" is a single strip @ $2.50. Chewy & well-done, but not burnt.

I'm a dessert kind-a-fellow and I had no room for it this time, as tempting as their display of desserts is.

Overall, I would go back and try other menus items but not a regular basis as it was a little pricey. My wife had quiche, along with my meal plus a loaf of gluten free bread to go = $40+ for two.

The atmosphere was casual/hippie/artsy so feel free to break out your Birkenstocks and flannel from the '90s and a pair of jeans.

• Visited October 2012
texas
“All I can say is WOW”
Reviewed September 9, 2012

We visited this bakery as treat for my neice who is Gluten intolerant. We did not expect to have so a delicious and tasty lunch and dessert!! Everything here is gluten free and ther is so much to choose from, you will not believe it. My neice was so excited!! Cannot wait to mail order.

• Visited August 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
“Disappointing”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

What a disappointment for a first time experience at the Little Aussie Bakery! 1 hot dog and a less than desirable hot beef sandwich and I get a $28 bill! My child hated the bun and I can't say I blame him! I found both the hot dog and sandwich bun for the beef sandwich to be overly gooey. There was hardly any meat in the sandwich which didn't justify the cost. The bread tasted too much like tapioca bread and not enough of rice flour or potato starch in the mix. I would suggest sorghum to spruce it up a bit. I also had a soft drink, and my child didn't drink anything...we ate the 2 rolls that were offered (which I thought were complimentary but apparently not)...It would've been nice if they told us that because I wouldn't have paid $2 a piece for a tiny dinner roll! I checked the prices online again and there is no way I should've paid that kind of money because the bill was off by almost $6! WTH? Even if prices differed from the website that is quite a price increase! I was engaged in a conversation with the owner as I paid, so I didn't catch the amount until after I left which is my fault. I will never eat a meal there again! And by what they charge maybe they can spruce up the place a little too. Our table felt sticky and unclean which grossed me out...I just wished we had a better experience...Now I hope their flax bread tastes good, because I took one of them home to try...

• Visited July 2012