“Good, even if you're not Gluten Free”
Review of The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe - CLOSED

The Little Aussie Bakery & Cafe
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Tuleta
Transit: Bus Stop in both directions to and from downtown, within easy walking distance.
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My wife loves this place and so I was naturally curious after trying their fresh in-house baked bread. At home I thought it to be sourdough bread only to find out it was gluten free. So on a cool Sunday morning we visited their quaint little baker off Broadway for brunch.

I had the French toast and with a side of bacon and coffee. Simple. The French toast was excellent and filling. The syrup was more like thick honey, lightly drizzled over it reminding me of a childhood memory of Indian Fry Bread in Arizona. The bacon, well... nothing mind-blowing here. The "side" is a single strip @ $2.50. Chewy & well-done, but not burnt.

I'm a dessert kind-a-fellow and I had no room for it this time, as tempting as their display of desserts is.

Overall, I would go back and try other menus items but not a regular basis as it was a little pricey. My wife had quiche, along with my meal plus a loaf of gluten free bread to go = $40+ for two.

The atmosphere was casual/hippie/artsy so feel free to break out your Birkenstocks and flannel from the '90s and a pair of jeans.

Reviewed September 9, 2012

We visited this bakery as treat for my neice who is Gluten intolerant. We did not expect to have so a delicious and tasty lunch and dessert!! Everything here is gluten free and ther is so much to choose from, you will not believe it. My neice was so excited!! Cannot wait to mail order.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

What a disappointment for a first time experience at the Little Aussie Bakery! 1 hot dog and a less than desirable hot beef sandwich and I get a $28 bill! My child hated the bun and I can't say I blame him! I found both the hot dog and sandwich bun for the beef sandwich to be overly gooey. There was hardly any meat in the sandwich which didn't justify the cost. The bread tasted too much like tapioca bread and not enough of rice flour or potato starch in the mix. I would suggest sorghum to spruce it up a bit. I also had a soft drink, and my child didn't drink anything...we ate the 2 rolls that were offered (which I thought were complimentary but apparently not)...It would've been nice if they told us that because I wouldn't have paid $2 a piece for a tiny dinner roll! I checked the prices online again and there is no way I should've paid that kind of money because the bill was off by almost $6! WTH? Even if prices differed from the website that is quite a price increase! I was engaged in a conversation with the owner as I paid, so I didn't catch the amount until after I left which is my fault. I will never eat a meal there again! And by what they charge maybe they can spruce up the place a little too. Our table felt sticky and unclean which grossed me out...I just wished we had a better experience...Now I hope their flax bread tastes good, because I took one of them home to try...

2  Thank nbgal65
Reviewed June 16, 2012

Knowing this restaurant exists makes me so happy. 100% gluten-free and free of most other common allergens, you can get a great meal and never miss the stuff you had to give up AND not worry about cross-contamination: bread, waffles, cookies, pasta, pizza. You can order their bread, pizza crust, and other stuff online too and then pick it up at the restaurant to save on shipping. I spend a lot more time vacationing in San Antonio just so I can eat here.

Reviewed April 26, 2012

We ate at the Little Aussie Bakery on Thursday, April 26, 2012 at about 4:30 pm. We were greeted at the door by an unfriendly, hurried woman who barked "We are only taking to-go orders now" although we could have eaten their tiny portions in 10 minutes. It appeared that all the staff were in a total rush to leave work!

I ordered the Gypsy Chicken salad and my adult son ordered the Big Bloke Sandwich.

Our to-go order was ready in 3 minutes, and, at the time we didn't know why...

The salad looked like a $4 salad, not the $12 they charged. It appeared there was no chicken, but upon closer inspection there was a small sealed cupette of what looked like shreded chicken stew. I cannot remember a more bland salad anywhere in San Antonio.

Now, on to the "Big Bloke Sandwich". It was very thin, about 1 inch thick, bread bun and all. My son took one bite, and refused to eat the rest. On cloer inspection the beef strips were "all fat".

At this "Double Disappointment" I phoned the owner. I spoke with Hannah, who listened, then proceeded to make excuses. Not at all what I expected for a business that "lives or dies" upon customer satisfaction!

Well, live and learn I always say.
Let the market forces take action and weed out the "bad eggs".

Thanks, Greg S