“An Establishment of Great Food, Poor Communication”
Review of Luke - CLOSED

Luke
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Soledad St.
Description: San Antonio is now home to acclaimed Chef John Besh’s restaurant, Lüke, on the city's famed Riverwalk, Besh's first restaurant outside of his home state of Louisiana. The casual chic bistro features a menu of authentic Old World cuisine, combining classic German and French cooking techniques served in a warm and inviting space of stylish vintage interior, situated in San Antonio's popular downtown district. At the helm of the kitchen of Lüke is Executive Chef John Russ, born and raised in New Orleans. At Restaurant August, Chef Russ began to form the relationship with John Besh and he learned the importance of forming relationships with farmers and fisherman, which would later be reinforced by his time working on farms in Alabama, New Hampshire, New York and Maryland. Chef Russ returned to the Besh Restaurant Group as Chef de Cuisine on the invitation of Chef Besh. To complement its cuisine, Lüke offers an extensive wine list and beer selection.
San Antonio, Texas
“An Establishment of Great Food, Poor Communication”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

I have to say I have eaten at Luke before this experience and it had always been "average". And this experience was along those exact lines.
1. I had reservations for the Chefs menu, I had called the day before and spoke with the hostess about the menu and the best time to go. She mentioned a very slight change in the menu and stated that 4 would be a perfect time for an early dinner. Upon our arrival it was stated by the hostess the Chefs menu wasn't served until 5. After speaking with the manager she stated it wasnt served until 6. HOWEVER the Chef was beyond amazing and quickly pulled together the menu TWO HOURS early with no prep time for myself and my mother.
2. The servers had no idea about the Chefs menu being served. I do understand that we were served early, but the servers SHOULD NOT be asking the clients about the final product being served. Ask the managers or the people cooking. The food was served by the fantastic cooks making the food. Not one person explained to me what I was served and the servers had not an idea (as they were asking me). I understand a menu can change which might be an excuse to not tell the staff but a menu had already been emailed to me. So should the servers not have a basic overview of that menu?
3. My napkin was dirty and had a shoe print on it.

OVERALL: the complete lack of effective communicate throughout the several departments (hostess, managers, kitchen) was too obvious, the dinner was a scattered mess. But the food was fantastic, even though it was made hurriedly. And service was great especially the young man Evan and the girl training him Heather (I do believe her name was).

Johnson City, Tennessee
“This was our 25th anniversary and one of the best experiences”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We made reservations, asked for a table on the river, and informed the staff that it was our anniversary. We were treated like VIP guests of the chef. We got complimentary champagne, tastings, and all the recommendations were perfect. The plating was beautiful and the service top notch. The chef came to check on us several times. The manager checked on us, the waiter was attentive without being intrusive. The manager and assistant manager checked on us. If I had one small complaint, the live band we arrived was really loud, but they finished their set shortly after we arrived. But this did nothing to mar the wonderfulness of the evening!

• Visited May 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Pleasant Service & Good Location”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We selected the restaurant for its location near our hotel which was a convenient walk. Our service was quite good and she was most helpful in making a fish selection for my dinner as well as helping hubby with his entrée choice and salad options. Everything was nicely paced and we felt had a reasonable price point for the area and atmosphere. We dropped in early without a reservation and were seated promptly and would consider returning when in the area.

San Antonio, Texas, United States
“I absolutely am in love with this restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Though it can be a little pricey, it is worth is, based on the service, atmosphere, quality of food & quantity of food provided. San Antonio has a lot to offer foodies, but you will not be able to find another restaurant like this in San Antonio or any other place, for that matter. I dare you ;)

Visited July 2013
Los Angeles
“Almost As Good As New Orleans”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I'm a big fan of any John Besh restaurant. This was my first time to eat the Luke, San Antonio but I have been to the New Orleans location many times. The service at this location was a bit slow but not horrible. It's quite loud inside, especially when the band is playing. The menu is similar to that of the New Orleans location with a few local specialties added. The cocktail list is great. There is also outdoor seating which the New Orleans location does not offer.
If you want something other than Tex-Mex in San Antonio, Luke is an excellent option.

1 Thank KipF