“Pretty good food, slow service”
Review of Luke - CLOSED

Luke
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Soledad St.
Description: San Antonio is now home to acclaimed Chef John Besh’s restaurant, Lüke, on the city's famed Riverwalk, Besh's first restaurant outside of his home state of Louisiana. The casual chic bistro features a menu of authentic Old World cuisine, combining classic German and French cooking techniques served in a warm and inviting space of stylish vintage interior, situated in San Antonio's popular downtown district. At the helm of the kitchen of Lüke is Executive Chef John Russ, born and raised in New Orleans. At Restaurant August, Chef Russ began to form the relationship with John Besh and he learned the importance of forming relationships with farmers and fisherman, which would later be reinforced by his time working on farms in Alabama, New Hampshire, New York and Maryland. Chef Russ returned to the Besh Restaurant Group as Chef de Cuisine on the invitation of Chef Besh. To complement its cuisine, Lüke offers an extensive wine list and beer selection.
Austin, Texas
“Pretty good food, slow service”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were a large group of women so they accommodated us in a large open room upstairs in the restaurant. The place is pretty inside with large windows, wooden floors and tin ceilings. I really thought I was going to be very impressed with this place, but was disappointed. Part of our menu was fixed, but we had a choice of entrees and dessert. I'm not a fan of beet salad so that wasn't a big hit for me. The gumbo was fine, not too spicy, and it was tasty. I chose a pork entree which was shredded pork with some very small potatoes and grated cheese on top, not spectacular. Bread pudding was OK, but creme brulee was better. The wait staff were all very nice but the overall service was unbelievably SLOW. The meal took 3 hours. I like to visit with people over dinner but this was way too long a wait. We only had wine with dinner (a cash bar) and it was fine. I grew up in Louisiana and expect stellar food and service from a place associated with John Besh. Perhaps he should visit more often and tweak the menu and service to measure up to his standards in his N.O. restaurants. I would probably give this place another try on a future visit.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank peggydill

Dallas, TX
“Exceptional Food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Warm and welcoming restaurant with an exceptional menu selection. All the staff were very welcoming and helpful with the menu selection. Every menu selection was seasned and cooked perfectly. We loved our experience at the only John Besh restaurant outside of New Orleans and highly recommen it to those visiting San Antonio.

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank CatherineDallas_TX
“Good food, slow service”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Good food, but the service was slow. We liked the boiled shrimp. The beef loin was good, but a little too charred and the sides with it were indescribable. I literally don't know what they were! Somewhat tasty.

Visited April 2013
Washington DC
“Excellent”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We had an early dinner at Luke before going to the theater, and totally enjoyed our meal. We started with cocktails and their special raw oysters for the day. As main dish we had etouffee, shrimp with grits and a chicken dish, with gateau basque for dessert. All dishes and specialty drinks were excellent, I was frankly surprised. Service was friendly and efficient. The restaurant's interior was beautiful. I highly recommend this restaurant and would definitely go back when I find myself in San Antonio again.

• Visited March 2013
Horsham, Pennsylvania
“Amazing!”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We were going to try Luke for dinner but the menu didn't have many options for those who do not eat shellfish so we opted to go for lunch which offered a few more non-seafood options. The food was excellent! Onion tart was melt in your mouth amazing. The oysters in the Po'boy were like butter. The smokiness of the bacon was perfection. Staff was attentive and friendly. They even have a nice little kid's menu which offered a kid's size steak from my 8 year old. My husband had pork sliders which were fantastic. The beer list features some great Texas brews and the wait staff was happy to help us pick out something to try. Outside seating looking over the Riverwalk but also many seats by the window if you want to eat inside.

• Visited March 2013