“Pretty good, will give them one last chance”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak
Ranked #3 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 14, 2014

I have stayed here quite a few times with my family. We especially like the "Dinner" reception and normally the breakfasts. I am not sure why, but this last time they seemed to be having issues. The pool and smoking area door locks were supposedly broken after 10 pm (the pool is normally closed but the smoking area is open round the clock) but thy worked in the morning. Also, this hotel known to be pretty high class, however, this time they made me sign a slip that they added to the back of the registration card that says that they have a quiet hour, no parties etc. - So Maybe they started having issues at night? This was the first time that breakfast was also very "less quality". We stayed the same days of the week (Sat - Sun) and there were less selections, the eggs were cold and the employees (especially this real young looking guy I have never seen before) were not very attentive except to clear tables. I mean they really put their skimp on. I am not sure if there was a management change or why they decided on messing with the things that keep us coming back.

I am going to give them one more shot. I have made a suite reservation for this coming weekend and we will see how that goes and I will post back. I hope it all was one time deals and they just had a bad weekend. Note to management: Please feel free to look at my profile, you can match my reservation and verify the times/dates of my stay if you want to look at the issues we had in order to make sure they are addressed.

Room Tip: I have stayed from floors 5 to 9, from normal rooms to the suites, from the middle or the hall to th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
5  Thank ITGuyATX
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Thank you for your recent feedback and for your continued patronage. We work hard to deliver great value and exceptional service and can assure you that we've made no change in that commitment. In fact, we are expanding our "dinner" reception to include a variety of new items based on feedback we've received from our guests.

That being said, I was concerned that you were somewhat disappointed in your previous visit and we certainly regret that. We're grateful, however, for the opportunity to restore your confidence in us and look forward to serving your lodging needs again!

Michael B.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We arrived tired from a long flight and weather related delays, Nick and George greeted us at the front desk. They told us our rooms were on the floors with some high schoolers and we'd prefer to be in a quieter area. When we expressed that our trip was for the funeral of San Antonio Police Officer they went above and beyond to assist us.

The rooms were clean, quiet and very comfortable. I'm a light sleeper and did hear little children and adults at 1:30 or so in the morning, overall it was great. I didn't hear anyone else say anything about their rooms but - wow, these are comfortable beds!

Good breakfast with your room stay too!

Don't expect a bar or lounge. What they have is a set up in the same area where they serve breakfast. That would be my only disapointment because it would have been nice to sit in a lounge area to relax with a drink.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank CherylBoston
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for a night. Had the best experience! The 5:30 kickback was perfect for the kids and the free beer/cocktails for my husband and I made our evening. Great customer service. Clean spacious room! Love the up to date modern decor. A+ all around! Oh and I definitely signed up for the gold key club membership!

• Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Richardson6
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We are never disappointed when we go with Drury. We were in San Antonio for 2 nights and were able to get this room with an esaver rate of 79.99. Although it isn't deep in the heart of San Antonio and we had to drive to get to the downtown area, we felt the savings were worth it.

Nice clean room, big bathroom, 5:30 kickback and complimentary breakfast all are what I have come to expect from Drury. I have noticed the Plazas tend to be a little more upscale, a bigger dining area, "real" plates and silverware, etc...

Staff was friendly and knowledgeable and we stayed on the 10th (top floor) so there was no noise above us.

Room Tip: Use the Drury site to book; get a room on the 10th floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank kltbtravel
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed two nights at the Drury Inn. The first night was Christmas Eve. The room was clean and quite. The staff was cheerful and in the holiday spirit. We also stayed at the Drury Inn Dec 30 and it was more crowded but the staff was just as nice and the rooms were clean. This time we had a room closer to the highway so we did hear some of the traffic noise, but not that bad. The only thing I think we comment on from both stays is that they need to order new towels for their rooms, and check the drains….both rooms had slow drains in the tub and the sink. The towels are worn and it would not take that much $$ to bring the rooms up to a 5….They have a nice breakfast and they even have snacks available for a price . We have stayed at other hotels in the area and there are several off the highway. This is by far the nicest one and we will stay here whenever we visit our family in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away fro the highway and atrium, and on a less crowded floor….they will accommodate f...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Traveldiive
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We booked this hotel through Priceline Express and was amazed at the great deal! We booked two rooms for two nights as we came to San Antonio with our son and his wife and two young boys to go to Sea World. This hotel was perfect for us! Check in was very friendly and fast.

The rooms are clean and spacious with a large bathroom. Pretty ordinary and comparable with a Marriott standard room. The carpet is a dark brown industrial type so you can't see stains or dirt but I felt like they were nice and clean.

Nice tile led into the room and tile bathroom. The vanity is in the bathroom but it is large and roomy. They have dispensers for shampoo, body wash, and conditioner. There was a small bar of soap and lotion on the counter. Good hair dryer. The towels were a bit of a disappointment. Not very fluffy!

The beds are comfy with plenty of pillows. There is little fridge and microwave in the room. Nice flat screen tv and a good selection of channels.

The complementary "Kick Back" evening "meal" was perfect for us. Hot dogs, nachos, chili, salad greens, baked potatoes, Mac n cheese... Just what two little boys loved! They also give you a card for three free alcoholic drinks each evening. I saw draft beer, wine, and a few mixed drinks. They also had a soda dispenser, a popcorn machine, and a coffee bar. All complementary!

The complementary breakfast was very good. Pancakes, potatoes, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits and gravy were on the hot bar. They also had make your own waffles, plenty of pastries, fruit, yogurt, toast, etc. juice and coffee bars, and plenty of condiments such as salsa and cheese. Maple syrup pitchers and salt and pepper shakers were on each table. Nice! Coffee, tea, and hot chocolate were available with flavored creamers. Nice sized to-go cups with lids were available.

The best thing about their dining is that it is a huge area with plenty of seating space and they use real dining ware! Glass plates and silverware! I hate paper and plastic! They were also cleaning off tables throughout the meals.

Even though it was December and the weather was cool, the outdoor pool was heated and they had two hot tubs! We really enjoyed a night time swim! Nice, big area.

There is a Costco, WalMart, and other shopping stores within a block or so.

A couple of things I would suggest would be to serve something simple and sweet with the evening brunch. Warm chocolate chip cookies perhaps! A small night light in the bathroom. Newer towels.

I would and will stay here again! Very happy, with it!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank westernmom
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Recently stayed at the Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North and was pleased with the experience. I have driven past these units in the past but never stayed at one. The rooms are nice, very clean, and the work area is excellent. Great number of outlets so easy to charge everything. Nice lounge, nice outdoor lounge, and great free breakfast. Would definitely stay here again and try this chain's other units.

Room Tip: Avoid the Applebee's next door - the worst I have ever eaten at.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business