“I love this hotel!!!”

Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak
Ranked #3 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at a very busy time, the hotel was packed all week. Despite that, it was still a very nice stay, plenty of parking, not too long a wait for elevators. The hotel staff were all very hospitable. The free breakfast was always well stocked, fresh. They have a "kickback" every evening with free food, popcorn, and for the adults, free drinks. There is a soda fountain and coffee bar that seem to be always open. We had a two room suites which I highly recommend if you are traveling with young children. We have stayed in many hotels over the years and this was one of the most spacious suites we have been in. The kids loved it, plenty of room to play. The beds were firm, made for a great night sleep with soft bedding, plenty of blankets, pillows(of all types of firmness). The room darken so well with the shades and sliding door, and the air conditioning system worked well(no loud radiators that poorly cool the room). Of course there was free Internet, that was just available, you didn't have to search for a code; they even had free long distance not that anyone use the LAN line anymore, but it was nice just in case. The room had a wet bar area with a small microwave and refrigerator that came in handy. I can not say enough about how much we enjoyed our stay. We will be looking for other Drury Plaza hotels in other cities we visit.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy highway, but it is well soundproofed, but if you are the lightest of sleepers...
There are newer reviews for Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed 2 nights (Mar 9-11th) at this property with my 2 grand-kids for a spring break getaway from The Fort Worth area. This hotel is rated # 1 on the latest trip advisor.. Here's why... Check-in fast...free secure parking in 2nd floor garage... Clean room ( 820 )..Great kick-back at 5:30.(staffed superbly) .. Great breakfast ( many items to choose from..well staffed) Wireless internet was fast... Workout room clean with many options.. Laundry room (next to workout room) clean with new machines.. No place is perfect but this is close. 15 min north of Riverwalk.. Parked at Rivercenter garage.. The only thing about my stay was too many dogs and spotted a big dog at the pool area (unleashed).. Almost got in pool.. Never felt crowded at meals.. Spacious seating at dining area.. Pool is small ..For a great hotel should have been bigger with deep end for adults divided by smaller area for kids .. Wish was closer to downtown.

Room Tip: 5th floor is pool and workout room . 2nd floor is garage .
Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a mixed bag. The design is weird--kind of a mixture of HGTV meets hotel. I could tell that the hotel was aiming for a mixture of industrial chic meets environmentalist meets hotel chain. The result fell a bit short. It was a cheap imitation of an upscale hotel. That being said, it was clean. We didn't much like the "solid" vs. "Liquid" toilet flush forced choice. Call me old-fashioned, but I don't enjoy defining my waste before I flush it. Also, there were bulk dispensers in the shower for shampoo, conditioner, and showers gel. I appreciate the attempt to save the earth, but I like those little bars of soap! The only major criticism of the room is that the shower curtain rod sagged so severely that the curtain would not stay closed. Other nitpicks: Dogs were apparently allowed, and they barked--a lot; the breakfast was too crowded (think breakfast with 100 of your closest friends) and not great quality (no bacon or custom omelets here)--mostly carbs. If you like pancakes, this is the place for you; Also, towels were thin, and 1 was stained. It was a good location if you like the Stone Oak area. Parking garage and Free happy hour (5:30-7:00--we missed it both nights). Overall, I give it an A- for effort and a C+ for execution.

• Stayed: March 2013
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Plaza Hotel San Antonio North Stone Oak, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to Drury Plaza Hotel North. I was pleased that you noticed our efforts to be environmentally friendly but concerned about your impressions of our execution. As a side note, we also have an extensive array of solar panels on our roof that produce a significant amount of power for our facility.

Our hotel is only 2 years old and the extras that we offer, like the full hot breakfast served daily and the complimentary happy hour, are popular amenities. However, your experience with that many people is uncommon. We apologize for any inconvenience. I would enjoy the opportunity to visit with you personally in more detail about your recent stay with us. Please contact me directly at your convenience and we hope to welcome you back to Drury Plaza Hotel North in the neat future.

Michael Bazar

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I planned a last minute overnight trip to San Antonio for my parents, my daughter and her family, and myself to celebrate my father's 80th birthday. I spent a few hours online the night before we left looking at different hotels in the area, mindful of plans to go to a Spurs game in the evening and the river walk area the following morning. I finally decided on this hotel based on the price and the reviews and ranking in tripadvisor. We weren't disappointed. Despite the fact that it was a bit of a drive to the AT&T Cetner and River Walk, I'd definitely stay again and recommend it. Check-in was easy, the desk clerk and other staff was friendly and helpful, they accommodated our request for adjoining rooms, and we parked for free in their gated parking garage. On our visit, there was plenty of popcorn in the lobby, and a free dinner buffet with several selections (not gourmet, maybe, but tasty enough) and free drinks (each of us got a card redeemable for up to 3 drinks) - a pleasant surprise that saved us time and $$ before the game. The property is new and attractively appointed with generously sized rooms and great views of the surrounding area on the higher floors (we were on the 10th). The beds were comfortable, I didn't notice any A/C noise (yay), the shower was hot, and, at least on the (Wednesday) night we were there, our rooms were quiet. There were lots of choices for breakfast the following morning, and all of us enjoyed what we got.

The agent I spoke with when I called for reservations advised me that Drury's "Plaza" properties are a bit more upscale than their Inns & Suites properties. He also told me about the "e-saver" rate so that I was able to get a rate that was lower than AAA - at this property, anyway. (I called a Drury property in another state and the AAA rate was lower at that one.)

We all thought the hotel was a great value for the price we paid, and I was thankful that everyone really enjoyed our stay and was happy with my choice. I wish I could find a similar deal/value every time I travel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 10th floor to enjoy the view of the Texas landscape.
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Booked a room here after reading the wonderful reviews. We have traveled all over the country, and appearances were a bit deceiving. We came to get a decent night of sleep. Unfortunately for us, it is the start of Spring break and EVERYONE and their many kids were staying here.

On the plus side, the room was large (though since we were on the poolside, don't expect to try to sleep prior to the closing hours with the noise from the kids playing.) Room was very clean, though the two type of toilet flushing (to conserve water) where you have to push the button for 'liquids' or 'solids' was not our preference. Hot breakfast with many selections (if you don't mind waiting with 100 other people in line). By the time we got thru the line, the food on our plates was cold because the lobby was so cold.

On the minus side, 1) the abundance of people in the lobby for breakfast reminded us of the "cattle call" on cruise ships, with about the same noise level, wait lines with styrofoam plates, and two waffle irons for the whole crowd. 2) it was advertised that hot popcorn is in the lobby. On the three times we went there (morning, 1:30pm, 3pm) there was none made. What was there at 7:30pm was burnt. 3) The "spa" outside was not even the 104 degrees that hot tubs are so not very hot, and the "heated" pool was that warm so we skipped those. 4) we have a wonderful jackhammering that we are hearing this morning which is convincing us another night is out of the question because we just want to chill. 5) The pillows in the room are very fat, so if you are used to sleeping with something thinner, bring your own. 6) The beds have some sort of ripples (perhaps a pillowtop) and between the mattress and pillows, we barely slept. 7) You still hear doors slamming and footsteps in the room so not as soundproof as we would have liked.

In comparison to a Le Meridian, Biltmore, or Drake hotel, we would rank this under them and thus the three star rating.

Room Tip: Do not get a room on the pool side. Noisy from construction and kids in the pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank parodyqueen

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced while staying at Drury Plaza Hotel North. For a hotel that prides itself on personal service, we regret any disappointment you may feel. San Antonio is a very popular location for families celebrating Spring Break week and Drury Plaza Hotel North is the hotel of choice because of the many extras that we include at no charge.

I would welcome the opportunity to visit with you in greater detail about your experiences. Please contact me directly at your convenience and we hope to restore your confidence in us and welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Michael Bazar

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I booked this hotel based upon the Trip Advisor reviews and was not disappointed. My room was huge and very clean. I heard very little noise from other guests, and the staff was friendly. Breakfast was nice and the happy hour was appreciated, but I'm not sure that hot dogs and fake-cheese nachos presented quite the image this hotel is going for.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TexMomx3
Reviewed March 4, 2013

First tip-make sure you have the RIGHT hotel. There are 2 Drury properties side by side...this one (Drury Plaza Hotel) and the Drury Inn and Suites. Make sure you stay at this one...the Plaza Hotel.

As far as the review...it was great! Checking in was no problem once I found out I went to the wrong hotel next door (Drury Inn and Suites)...lol Hotel lobby was decorated very nicely with modern decor. Spacious is the word that comes to mind. There was free fresh popcorn and soda/coffee availabl. The staff was very courteous and I love the more private layout of the hotel.

Other amenities-we used the pool (outdoor/heated) and hot tub which is a very relaxing area on the rooftop. The hotel also has a parking garages whose elevators let you out right into the same elevators in the lobby, so it was convienient. The hotel has a kickback time where they offer appetizers and drinks (1 alcoholic drink per person, and limited bar available for regular pricing).

The only negative thing I found was the walk in shower. Don't get me wrong....it was a beauitful bathroom!! It didn't look as if the floors in the walk in showers are easy to clean, and you can't see with the dark tile below your feet...so I was hoping that the floors were cleaned well. I might be the only one that feels this way about it, so take it for what it is worth and perhaps bring shower shoes if it would bother you. Otherwise I won't let this affect my review.

Overall, price was very reasonable for room and amenities. Quiet stay. Clean rooms. Courteous staff. You can't go wrong with staying here really...