“Best pizza in SA”

Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Side
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Whenever I'm hungry for pizza, I choose Grimaldi's. I've tried other "great" pizza places recommended by friends, but their pizzas just don't compare. Some hints: We used to ask for extra sauce but have found that it's not much different from the regular portion, so we save the money on this one. I only wish they wouldn't charge for ingredients on the whole pizza if you just want them on half. For instance, I love mushrooms on my pizza, but my husband does not. If I want to have them on my half, I have to pay for them on the whole pizza. I agree with another reviewer that wine nights make it even better. It's a great way to try out different wines and eat a great pizza. Occasionally, the pizza has come out a little more done than I prefer, and I've had to ask them to re-make it. Such is the chance you take with coal oven pizza. If you want a salad, definitely plan to share because they are huge! On the whole, my experiences have been great here. In fact, I think take-out is in order for tonight.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stopped at the La Cantera Grimaldis the evening of 5/24 for a pizza. Our expectations were to have a positive experience similar to what we previously enjoyed at this location, as well as the Corpus Christi restaurant. After a 20 minute wait (reasonable considering it was a Sat. night of a holiday weekend) we were seated. We ordered a salad and a vegetarian pizza. The salad came right out and was fine. Then, the wait began. We sat thru a neighboring table of 8 being seated and served before the waitress even dropped by to tell us that "our pizza was coming right out". After another 15 minutes,during which a couple dining nearby returned their food twice, the manager came out and told us that there had been a mistake with our order and pepperoni had been mistakenly included on our pizza. He said that he had told the kitchen staff to re-make our pizza as ordered,and it would be just another few minutes. He apologized and offered an appetizer, which we declined since our pizza would be right out. Another 10-15 minutes went by. By this point our waitress was just pretending we didn't exist as we tried to flag her down for a status report on the pizza rumored to be headed our way. She finally was unable to ignore us any longer and very graciously agreed to check. Shortly thereafter a different girl brought out a pizza and unceremoniously dumped it on the table with a half-hearted '"sorry for the wait". We started to eat the pizza, although it appeared to be minus the extra cheese we had ordered, and was somewhat skimpy on toppings in general except for SAUSAGE. Apparently the kitchen staff was a bit pissed with having to re-fire our original order,and sent the new "vegetarian" out with sausage. We miraculously got the attention of our waitress and asked for the manager who again came over to apologize. He seemed mildly upset, but not that surprised that his kitchen staff had once again failed to put out a very basic order. When we expressed that we had reached our breaking point and would be leaving his culinary house of horrors,he offered to make us a pizza to go. Given the amount of time we had already wasted trying to eat dinner I could only assume we would be receiving a breakfast pizza by the time it arrived, and it would probably not be what we ordered anyway. We declined his offer and left, about an hour and 15 minutes after entering, hungrier than when we had arrived and very disappointed with our experience.
The difference in this visit and our previous trips to Grimaldis was night and day. The restaurant staff failed in virtually every category. They were very disorganized, painfully slow, terrible at communication, and most important, took no pride at all in serving good food as it was ordered. In addition, other than a couple of meaningless "sorries" no one would even take responsibility for the mess they all created. Based on this dinner (our last at Grimaldis) I'd say the service, food quality, and any sign of self respect or pride in your job from the bussers to management has hit rock bottom. With the many other dining options nearby, Grimaldi's had better think about making some changes or failing that, close the doors. This place is a disgrace.

Reviewed May 20, 2014

Had lunch with several friends and we all shared two large pizzas, several appetizers, a few beers, and some wine. Excellent overall dining experience. Pizza crust was fantastic and toppings were all fresh. Service was excellent and courteous. Highly recommend for those in search of excellent thin crust pizza.

Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Grimaldi's is the best pizza in San Antonio! The customer service and atmosphere are on point! We eat here frequently!

Reviewed April 20, 2014

While shopping at La Cantera, we decided to have dinner at this pizzeria and it was excellent. Portions were huge and food was not over-priced. Rely on the waiter's suggestions when making your selections - our waiter was fabulous. Although this is not Chicago style pizza, which is what I am accustomed to, the ingredients were fresh and the pizza was well done. I would definitely go back, if visiting San Antonio again.