“Just average”

Ranked #139 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Melbourne, Australia
“Just average”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We stayed for two nights. The area where the hotel is situated is quite old and a little scary. It's about a twenty minute walk to river walk etc, and coming back in the evening was a bit spooky for women. Breakfast was almost non existent, no toast or cereal, just a couple of Danish pastries and a muffin. We really don't regard these as breakfast foods. There was nowhere to eat breakfast other than our room. We skipped it and went into town for breakfast. It would be better if they simply sold the room without breakfast, then guests would not have any raised expectations. The room itself was okay, wifi didn't work very well.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
KNIGHTSSANANTONIO, Owner at La Hacienda Inn Alamodome/Riverwalk, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for you Comments.
The common comment for this area has been about Bad neighborhood. The area is not Bad But it is Poor. ( Been here during Construction phase and opening of the Hotel, To my surprise Nothing has gone broken or robbed compared to other 3 Big Brands Hotel I manage in San Antonio) Just like Many Cities in united states have a poor neighbourhood near downtown this one does also. The San Antonio city has Rezoned this Area to push it to be a better neighbourhood. We are the first ones to come in, unfortunately. Hopefully the change will happen soon. If we were able to provide a better breakfast and be in a Richer neighbourhood then the Rates will reflect the same. In fact due to many Comments we are in process of just providing Coffee and no breakfast at all. I Do Appreciate your Comments about rooms being okay. Our Internet has a good speed, The company that provides 24/7 Support has to many Hoops attached to it to connect to internet for the safety of the network.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

As soon as I pulled up I thought to myself, "oh hell no, my stuff is going to get jacked." I stayed two nights and loved everything except the parking (the picture is accurate). The staff was extremely accommodating, the room was gorgeous and the bathroom was really clean. The next morning I drove around and realized the neighborhood was actually very pretty. The neighborhood seemed safe enough and even charming (after my initial shock).

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Atanwright
Thank you for your time to give us a comment. We check every room every day. Just very very few few days we donot. Your Comments makes us keep on doing right things. Yes the neighborhood is poor but have been very fine until now. You did judge it right. Thank you Once again
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The ad makes it look and sounds like it is down by the riverwalk. Well, it isn't. We finally found it in a very bad rundown part of town. We decided to give it a try anyway. So after paying for the room, we went upstairs to find it had not even been cleaned since the last guest left. Towels laying around, bed unmade, etc. We left and went to a decent ( of course we had to pay more) hotel downtown. I will never stay at a Knights Inn and can not believe Trip Advisor gave it a good rating. Someone must have been paid to write those reviews. I have trusted Trip Advisor to steer me to good place. I am wondering what I will be walking into next with my other reservations. Shame on American Legion for listing it on their website also. Live and Learn.

Room Tip: Beware of Knights Inn. You get what you pay for.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Apologise for the Mistake from our side. The two Rooms were left Dirty Due to shortage in housekeeping from previous day (A Common practice in every segment of Hotel Industry ). The desk person did not check on that particular room and Rented it to you. This should have not happened but it does happen, it is inevitable in ANY segment of the hotel industry. You just dropped the keys and left without giving us a chance to correct our mistake. You would have just given us a chance to show you and prove that it was an honest mistake and we can correct it. Neighborhood is poor not bad but have proved to be safe till now.
Austin
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We wanted a place close walking distance to the Alamo Dome.. Got it! Market close by with a oddities shop and a great hamburger place called Marks Outing close by.The room was clean staff nice. NO its not fancy but great room with all you need especially if your only going to be out enjoying what the town has to offer! Great Location !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Augsburg, Germany
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights and it was not the best motel we have slept in.
The room is ok, not very clean as you can find hair that do not belong to you on the floor, the first day no one was cleaning up our room so we had to bring our trash out of the room by ourselves and breakfast is compared to other motels "nothing" - only coffee, no fresh milk and some mini muffins. Thats all.
The area around seems not very safe but I think that´s just the first impression, we were walking there at night and it was ok. The view out of our room showed very old houses you could not imagine someone is living in there but they acutally do!
Near the hotel is a railroad and so you can definitely not sleep very well at night because of this incredible noise. Everytime you fall asleep you will wake up by this noise and of course all the dogs in the neigbourhood are barking all night. I love dogs, but if I cannot sleep for 3 nights .....
The a/c in the room is very loud so you have to chose, a/c on and no conversation or sleep possible or a/c off and it´s getting hot!!!
The WiFi was working very well!

All in all, the stay was ok, the price was fine for this area and you could walk to the Riverwalk Center but I think next time I would stay in another hotel and pay a little bit more.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Maybe driving past the hotel and into a bad area of town late at night, set the tone. After seeing all the burglar bars, I was a little concerned. However, the hotel was clean, had comfortable beds, and provided a restful night....except for the kids we heard running down the hall at about midnight. Don't be expecting a full breakfast, but for the price, it is fine. The hotel is near the Alamodome and convention center. It was certainly better than paying $300 for a place to sleep and shower!

Room Tip: Maybe downstairs might be quieter....
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Hartsville, SC
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have never stayed with Knights Inn. I have to admit that I was quite reluctant to do so.

As other reviewers have stated, the rooms are quite nice. The linens are clean and fresh. Rooms are services regularly. The televisions are very nice, beds are comfortable, and there is a hairdryer and coffee maker in the room.

The staff is not the "typical" staff of a hotel. They are not necessarily friendly, but they weren't rude either. We needed more towels, we asked, we received. There weren't any smiles, or hints of appreciation for the business, but it was effective service. The hotel manager called me on the day of the reservation to confirm that I was coming and if I needed directions. That's good service, if you ask me!

There was an event at the Alamodome on the day we arrived. Traffic was unbelievable. From the airport, it was easier to go all the way down to I-10 East and then head North on New Braunfels Avenue up to Commerce. (Just a hint, if you need it.) It was a twenty minute walk to the entrance of the Alamodome from the hotel.

There are six rooms on the bottom floor and maybe twelve on the top floor. We were on the bottom floor and experienced no noise disruptions from other guests. The back of the hotel faces a bad neighborhood. The windows have bars. Every now and then, a car with the stereo on will park behind the hotel with the radio on... full blast. I didn't feel unsafe, at all. But this was a disruption from time to time.

The continental breakfast is quite limited. There is coffee, bananas, apples, danishes and muffins. It is on a tiny table next to the check-in desk. It is... small. But sufficient. Don't expect a waffle maker and fresh juice. But for the price, I couldn't have been happier.

If in the area again (for a day or two) I would definitely stay at the La Hacienda Inn again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family