“Delicious meal”

Ranked #78 of 4,644 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: New establishment in the Pearl Brewery area.
Leesburg, Virginia
“Delicious meal”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

Took a taxi after this place was recommended as something a little different than places on the Riverwalk down by our hotel. Loved the wide variety on the menu. Excellent food. Everything we ordered was delicious. Service could have been better, but it was tolerable. Would return again as the food just had a unique flair and the Riverwalk area here was much calmer and more beautiful. Great outdoor seating!

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Suzibell

San Antonio, Texas
“Authentic Mexican”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The tacos al pastor are fantastic. The food is authentic, fresh and well-prepared. I highly recommend trying the roasted corn--best I've ever had. The atmosphere is Texas-outdoor--my favorite and you can top off your dinner with a walk down the scenic, peaceful, "park-style" part of the River Walk. I've never taken a friend or family member here who was not impressed. It does get busy like any popular San Antonio hang out.

• Visited March 2014
San Antonio, Texas
“Great food and atmosphere, but service was lacking”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I went with a friend as they raved about the food, friendly staff, and atmosphere. I'll admit it met most of the criteria except for a responsive server. Our server took quite awhile to even stop by the table and greet us...for some time there it didn't seem like we had a server. Once Stevi did show up to the table, she wasn't all that friendly and the time it took to get the orders was a bit longer than expected--and the order ended up being wrong--ordered the Tradicional Queso but was given the Chorizo con rajas. Thankfully, it tasted awesome, but it wasn't quite what we ordered. It didn't come with enough corn tortillas so we ordered six more...they delivered five. We had beers and one of the beer bottles ended up being chipped on the top--could've easily been cut by it. I'll give it another try because the food, atmosphere, and other wait staff seemed friendly and response. Crossing my fingers the next visit goes great!

Rockport, Texas
“It just gets better each time!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Had lunch at La Gloria again today and once again it was outstanding! The food is absolutely fresh from the chips and salsa to the crispy chicken tacos to the roasted corn slathered with cheese. What I love about this place is that nearly every entree is a "small plate" size, so you can order two or three items and have enough to share a bite or two with your dining partner and vice-versa. They are priced very reasonably as well, so you are not breaking the bank to enjoy a top notch meal. Our server, Mari, was so personable and enthusiastic about the cuisine. She had suggestions and could answer all of our questions.
This restaurant is not to be missed on your trip to San Antonio!

San Antonio, TX
“After 3 bad experiences; its time for a review!”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

I rarely give average or poor reviews after just one visit. A bar or restaurant can occasionally have a bad night, which I believe should be taken into consideration when reviewing a place.
However; after 3 bad visits over the course of the last 15 months or so; its time to comment.
In actuality; there have been 5 less than stellar visits. The first time we came; it was to try the food and enjoy the patio. The food was average at best; pricey and the servings were tiny; even for "Street Food!" Having lived in San Antonio for 38 years, I feel like I can be a good judge in that regard. We tried it a second time a few months later; the result was the same; so La Gloria's food was no longer an option. However; I've kept going back for a couple of reasons. A fabulous patio and some of the best Sangria's in San Antonio.
And that is root of my complaint. The last 3 visits over the course of 15 months or so were all bad! In each case, we came just for drinks. In all 3 cases, we found the bartender to be surly and completely disinterested in serving us. The same male bartender served us twice most recently. The first time we waited at the bar, 15 months ago or so, we noticed a horrible sewage-like smell at the right side of the bar and mentioned it to the bartender. Some months ago on a repeat visit, the same smell still lingered. (It appears to come from a couple of pipes clearly visible on the exterior bottom of the bar). Last night; same thing... surly bartender and the smell of sewage emanating from the pipes at the bar. (We overheard a couple also discussing it as we ordered our drinks).
Clearly this is not a new issue at La Gloria; although for whatever reason, its not been addressed in all of this time.
La Gloria has the absolute best spot at the PEARL development, with a nicely shaded patio overlooking the San Antonio river. This has got to be the reason this business continues to draw crowds. My recommendation is simple; FIX the stench issue once and for all. And whatever it is that makes your bar-staff so consistently surly should also be addressed.

2 Thank txgerman1