“Authentic and great food”

La Gloria Ice House
Ranked #68 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: New establishment in the Pearl Brewery area.
Reviewed January 4, 2014

My son and I were traveling to San Antonio for the Alamo Bowl football game. We disagreed on where to go, but as we were celebrating his 30th birthday, i deferred. When we arrived, i was pleasantly surprised. The atmosphere was perfect. As it was very cold, we ate inside, but the patio was covered and had heaters. This is real Mexican street food. Having lived in Texas all of my 60 years, I have eaten LOTS of Mexican food. I saw many things on the menu that i had never had before. Our starter was my least favorite: queso fundido with chorizo. This got cold rather quickly and congealed too fast. However, everything else was very tasty. I had grilled fish tacos…they were very small (as is traditional in street tacos) and garnished with pico de gallo.
My son had two different sopes, which he enjoyed. We also had very good guacamole. The chips were of the thick variety (chips and salsa are not complimentary, i think they were $5, but it was noted on the menu). Our service was outstanding…we asked lots of questions and the waitress was very helpful!

Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Really loved finding LaGloria several years back. What was a great place to get food has been infected by the Riverwalk disease: food and service that is mediocre at best. I have no problem with the serving size but I want it to taste like something. Was most disapponted by the cerviche. I won't make the drive much less the walk to the Pearl for LaGloria

Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Hubs & I have been here at least 7 times. We always stop in (at least once) when in SA. On our last trip, we brought the whole family with us (in laws, grandma, etc) to try it out. They loved the location and the atmosphere. We were concerned that they might not enjoy the small plate concept as much as we do, but... No worries, they loved the food as well, once they saw how to order... We've heard that they are expanding & new locations are in the works. I do hope that that's true- esp the Houston location... How great would it be to have our own LG here close by!

Reviewed November 15, 2013 via mobile

This place was awesome. Food was delicious and reasonably priced. Very authentic Mexican food. Portions were just like they are in Mexico. Angela was very patient and helpful. Live entertainment was cool and the atmosphere was pretty cool.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

Fresh off the plane, this was the first stop for lunch. The unique multi itemed menu of typical mexican street food made for an interesting decision for orders. The staff was incredibily patient with me and my questions. I had the Mexican Pizza and it was fabulous, flan for dessert. It is situated right on the Riverwalk and has a senic view of the river,

Been to La Gloria Ice House? Share your experiences!