“Excellent Authentic Mexican Dinner”

La Gloria Ice House
Ranked #119 of 4,883 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: New establishment in the Pearl Brewery area.
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband, his co-workers and myself loved this Resturant. Great menu selection of tacos, tortas, tlayudas,sopes,and ceviche. I had the fish tacos and they were excellent. The house margarita was also very tasty. This is a very good and authentic Resturant in San Antonio, it's on the river walk but not part if the touristy section. Skip the restaurants that attract tourists on the river walk and check out La Gloria. You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I arrived on a busy Saturday nite totally expecting the wait so it did not surprise me the wait was 1.5 hours.. What did surprise me is that I was paged less than an hour into my wait that our table was ready...we sat at a tiny table that overlooks the lawn and river..perfect for date night..our waitress -Erica or Riggs as our receipt says-explained the menu and recommended the camarones in the agua chili and a mariscos moljacete..and they were every bit as good as she described...this was a great experience and I will be back many many times

Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is a very popular place on weekends and evenings, but we often drive down for lunch during the week to indulge ourselves in the delicious food and atmosphere at La Gloria. Portions are almost like tapas, not large, so get several and share. The Pescado Veracruzano is a must, a delicious cerviche served with crunchy tostadas. We get one of the versions of fish tacos, and the pork and pinapple tacos, and sit outside by the river whenever the weather allows. Birds, ducks, warm sun and afternoon breezes make the whole experience like a little vacation!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We came on a Saturday afternoon. There was about a 45 minute wait, but we sat in the yard under a tree overlooking the riverwalk, drinking a fine margarita. So the wait was actually a nice part of the meal.

Got molcajetes, panuchos, and a sope. The food was all excellent -- much better than usual restaurant tex-mex.

Definitely recommended.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

My first visit to this restaurant was 3-16-2013 and we almost didn't get a chance to try it out.

First of all, you walk up to the restaurant and there is a line at the door to put your name on the list to be seated. After waiting approximately 10 minutes to get to the host, he tells me the wait is 1.5 hours. I was in no hurry, so I put my name on the list.

Then, there is another line to the bar in order to get a drink. We waited in this line for approximately 25 minutes just to get a drink. The bar tenders are extremely slow and act completely overwhelmed. Also, while you are in the line, there is some man trying to sell you his poetry (he is not associated with the restaurant).

Well, while we were waiting in the line to get a drink, I noticed A LOT of empty tables. This really tells you that this restaurant is not being managed properly. I went to let the host know that I am seeing a whole lot of empty tables for an hour and a half wait. He told me that it's probably because they are trying to give the people waiting for a table time to come back and get their table. Anyways, his response was stupid.

Well, after we got our drinks and sat down for another 30 minutes or so when we decided to walk off and find another place to eat. While we were searching, La Gloria texted us that the table is ready, so we went back.

At this point, we were concerned about the food and service just because of the long wait. Fortunately, we got a good waitress who served us very quickly and who was very nice. This was a pleasant surprise after everything we experienced prior to getting a table.

Food is good, but not hour and a half wait time good. The overall experience was good once we got seated.....