“It's Cool (in the winter)”

Pearl Farmers Market
Ranked #61 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: The new Pearl Farmers Market is located along the banks of the beautiful San Antonio Riverwalk and is open every Sat. from 9am to 1pm
Reviewed January 2, 2013

There's nothing better than fresh veggies and the farmer's market is the place for seasonal produce at the peak of its flavor. Between this place and Boggy Creek Farms in Austin, I could almost become a vegetarian. H-m-m-m-m . . . . maybe not!

Wear your coolest (temperature-wise) clothes in the summer months when the sun is at it's zenith and this place becomes a tarviated inferno that cool drinks, tents and shade trees (the few that there are) struggle to mitigate.

One is forced to pay scalper's prices for a bottle of water (so bring your own) or run for shelter under an icy margarita at La Gloria to satiate your thirst and cool your head.

Autumn is much more temperature friendly and it is actually comfortable to stroll the booths and pick out fresh items for later consumption.

There are newer reviews for Pearl Farmers Market

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Had a friend in town from NY. She has been here before, so I was looking for something that she hadn't already seen. Enter the Pearl Farmers Market. We arrived rather late on a Saturday morning, and had no trouble finding parking. There's plenty of it and at no cost. We walked around to the various stalls, finding friendly vendors and a nice assortment of items for sale ... vegetables, fruits, grass fed beef (wish I had brought a cooler), herbs, lavender, soaps, coffees, jams, etc. Following that, we walked along the new section of the River Walk which is just behind the market. Beautiful trek on a Saturday morning. We capped this off with a casual lunch at the CIA Bakery Cafe (yes, there is a branch of the Culinary Institute of America here in SA). Lunch was delicious and just what I would expect from the CIA.

1  Thank MuffetB
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We happened to be passing by on the way to Corpus and stopped for some food. Parking is free and plentiful, and that's a plus. There were a lot of organic choices as well as grass fed beef vendors, not to mention numerous people selling very good baked goods. Too far from San Angelo to make a special trip, but if you are in San Antonio, I'd say go for the fresh food that is available. Go early!

Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were happy to see the big crowd at the Pearl Farmer's Market in March 2012. It looks like San Antonio was in need of such a place and the people have really embraced it. It could use a few more farmers but it's pleasantly full. There were at least a half dozen vege people, a couple of bakers, coffee, jams, jellies, soups, a few live plants, olive products, grass fed meats, and fish/ hydroponics.

There was live music as well as a cooking demo. Plus all the ritzy shops at the Pearl.

Another market of crafts has sprung up near the parking area, under the overpass. They would be wiser to incorporate these folks in to the main market, but we'll see what happens.

So, if you are visiting the Riverwalk, make sure you head to the beginning and visit the farmers market on Saturday mornings! Support local farmers!

Reviewed March 21, 2012

It's always tricky going to a farmer's market when you're staying in a hotel and don't have a kitchen. However, I love farmer's markets, and so we went. We were not disappointed!

The Pearl is a local market, so everything is local to the area. While I wasn't buying greens or meat, there were plenty of things to buy and taste for a non-cooking visit. I had some of the best coffee of my life there, and there were places with prepared chicken and waffles, and little sausage-filled buns whose name I've forgotten, but were really delicious.

The setting is also really lovely. The river winds through there, and there are little chairs out on the grass where you can sit and look at the water. We stayed for the morning, chatting and munching on our purchases. I highly recommend a visit!