“Cinnamon Rolls and chicken fried steak”

Lulu's Bakery and Cafe
Ranked #83 of 4,597 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Diner
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sugar Land, Texas
“Cinnamon Rolls and chicken fried steak”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We've been picking up the three pound cinnamon rolls for years and bringing them back home for neighbors. We finally had lunch our last trip and, wow, the food is really good. This isn't health food, but it is really good home food.

Visited March 2012

Houston, Texas
“Hands Down Best Chicken Fried Steak...EVER!!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was on several Travel Channel eatery shows over the years. They have a chicken fried steak to die for. It comes in three sizes.....The large is the size of a truck steering wheel!. They offer a homemade chili con queso instead of gravy for the chicken fried steak...TRY IT!!!!!. They also offer a 3 lb cinammon roll as well (not kidding!). These are always fun to take home as gifts....lol. The food is very much comfort food but it is all well done and prepared just for you.

Visited August 2012
Willis, Texas
“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

When we entered the doors and waited at the hostess stand, for the first few minutes they seemed to ignore us. Then when we were asked "Do you want breakfast?" Ummm, yes please. We were told "You can have that table over there." The "hostess" pointed to a table about two feet away. We walked over to the table on our own, without menus. We sat and noticed that the table was still dirty from the previous occupants, and their credit card receipt was still on the table.
We waited about ten more minutes before we were even able to order coffee. At this point, I was ready to leave, but my husband wanted to stay.
When we finally did order, it took about another thirty minutes to get our food. I observed that other customers that came in had about the same quality of service and no, it was not that busy.
When the food arrived, it only gets worse. It was warm at best, but we had waited so long and the service was terrible we decided to choke down the food anyway.
The server, never returned to even ask if everything was ok or good.
Which by the way, the food was NOT GOOD. I had a short stack of pancakes and they were barely warm and gritty. When I cut them into bite sized portions, they were so dry, they crumbled. The taste was reminiscent of having sand in my mouth.
When we had enough and wanted the check, we actually had to go up to the counter and have the girl there find our waitperson to retrieve our check.
I will close with this, it was awful. I won't return and I will most heartily advise you if you do chose to eat here.....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

2 Thank nomadladymedic
Aubrey, Texas, United States
“Great cafe!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We chose to visit Lulu's while we were visiting San Antonio over Labor Day weekend because we saw it on Man vs. Food. I wanted that huge cinnamon roll! We went Labor Day morning for breakfast. The cafe is pretty typical of what I would expect a cafe to look like. I saw some reviews complaining that it was dirty but it didn't strike me as dirty at all...it's a cafe not a high class restaurant! Yes, the floor was a little sticky, some chairs were a bit worn with holes in the padding but so what? We came for the food and it did not disappoint!
I had french toast with bacon and eggs. It was great and priced well too. I would expect to pay the same for just french toast without the sides at a chain breakfast place. Instead of a tiny glass of juice like at most places they brought out a nice, large cup which my husband and I thought was really cool. Service was friendly, a tad slow but it was a holiday morning and the place was quite busy so it was to be expected.

We took the 3 lb. cinnamon roll to go and ate on it for the whole week at home. It was very good! I plan to visit anytime we are in San Antonio!

New York
“interesting”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

we tried the 3 pound cinnamon roll. To our surprise it was very good. I would stop there again.The place was very busy but they took our order quickly.