“great stay”

Ranked #145 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“great stay”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We booked this hotel to meet friends flying in to SAT. It was a conveinent for us driving down from Dallas and for them flying in. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we were upgrade to the executive floor. Not sure what the difference is, but the room was very well furnished and roomy, although the two double beds made the bedroom a little tight. The staff was one of the best, most friendly that we have run across. The hotel is close to the expressway to downtown (about a 15 min trip). If we return to SAT, I'm positive that we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try for an upgrade
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Southern US State
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Writing reviews on my Hotel stays gets to be a reminiscing of sorts...and a free way of being right back there (especially if it's a good experience!). Well, this is one of those times that being right back there would be a really good thing!

I will say, this trip didn't start out at the Staybridge Suites; no, we were originally booked somewhere else. I just wasn't sure about that somewhere else, so just before I was committed "elsewhere", I did some looking around and found some very reasonable rates here at the Staybridge Suites Stone Oak location. I know Staybridge, and I have generally relied on their quality of service and pleasant hotels. The rates were so comparable to that other place, that this was an easy decision!

Check-in was relatively smooth. Kind of bummed-out that the gentleman (sorry, forgot your name!) who checked us in wasn't able to offer us IHG members any kind of upgrades, or even the elusive "5th Floor", however, stepping in to the room we did have on the 3rd floor was very nice just the same. It's such a "Welcome Home" feeling when you step in to a hotel room that has clean carpet, even some faux wood flooring in spots, and a FULL-SIZE fridge/freezer, hot stove counter, sink, and even a nice compliment of dishes, silverware, cookware, and so on. It's like a small taste of home while away. The room was very clean, smelled fresh...but... I was quite astonished to find a TOWEL still laying in the floor of the tub!! It wasn't a huge towel...like a face-cloth size, but it just surprised me just the same. Accidents happen; I'll chalk this one up to just that. Everything else about the room was clean, and this one incident wasn't enough to cause a stink; just, a reminder to the front desk.

Unfortunately, this wasn't a Tuesday-through-Thursday stay, because this location does host a nightly Manager's get-together. The foods offerings on the calendar looked tasty. Oh well...we'll accept the delicious and well-varied spread that was offered daily for breakfast. Must be honest, for the rate we paid, and for the variety (all sorts of breads/bagels, pastries, 4 different juices, waffle maker, eggs, sausage or bacon, sliced cheeses, about 6 different sliced-up fruits, 4 different fresh fruits, milk, chocolate milk, yogurts, and even for me...the famed Soda machine), you could not leave breakfast hungry. In my opinion, it rates right up with that "other" hotel across the street when it comes to breakfast.

The evenings were pleasant, even though the hotel seems relatively well-booked. You MUST be aware...this location has been hit several times by vehicle burglaries. Don't take chances, follow the warning signs, and try to park in well-lit areas, even though that's not always possible, and sometimes you don't have a choice. It didn't feel "unsafe"; these burglaries can happen anywhere...but just be forewarned, they ARE happening here once-in-a-while. Parking also can be full at times, but there should be sufficient space for us all...although, I can imagine if it was even busier!!

Well, I came to find out that indeed there would've been space to get us up to the 5th floor...I just dealt with a different front desk clerk. This kind of disappointed me somewhat, but I'm not there to stay my whole time-away in the hotel. I just called in to question a bit of integrity with the gentleman who originally checked us in. Anyway, we decided to stay in the room we were given....

A couple other notes: If you face the highway (north side), you WILL hear highway noise...no matter what! If you are a light sleeper...ask for a room that faces the pool. Sorry, but this is an absolute reality - even with the AC turned up.
Secondly...I have FINALLY found an outdoor pool I can swim in, and I won't find icebergs or ice chips floating on the surface!!! YES!! I finally found one! I cannot swim in cold pools, sorry...just can't! I can only spend time in hot-tubs or spas. But the pool here at the Staybridge is delightfully WARM! Yes, they also have a lovely spa, but I was so appreciative of the pool warmth just the same.

Special mention needs to go out to the two folks who maintain the breakfast spread during the morning. These two were extremely friendly, pleasant, and helpful. They treated me like a really valued guest, and I'm sure they treated everyone else just the same. Staybridge should be very proud that young folks like these two represent them and they take such pride and care in their guests. Way to go!

Although this hotel is not really in walking distance to much, there are plenty of restaurants, grocery stores, and gas stations (to name a few) within just a few moment's drive. It's well uptown from the famed (and HIGHLY over-rate Riverwalk area), and that's just the way I liked it! Been there (SEVERAL times), done that (and WON'T again!). So, if you're looking for things to do really close to this hotel, you probably will need a vehicle to get you just about anywhere from here...to there!

If we find ourselves visiting the San Antonio area again in the near future, we will certainly look at booking this hotel.

Safe Travels!

Room Tip: See if you can get a room on the south (Pool) side. There is definitely highway noise affecting the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Melvin doesn't get any better with customer service. He is attentive, professional, and the absolute best with multi-tasking. I asked a million questions and he responded with such courtesy. Thank you, Melvin, for making my stay a home away from home.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Verona, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I didn't realize this was a animal friendly hotel. There were a lot of dogs staying the week I stayed. I stayed July 2nd to the 9th. When I arrived it was a very nice appearing hotel. Nice and clean. Checked in with ease. I asked for a room on the back side away from highway and was told nothing available on that side. I asked about highway noise and was told he never heard complains and the insulation of both windows and walls were made to keep it quiet.

The good. I liked the hotel. Nice pool and spa. Great outdoor area on back side. ( which is why I choose this hotel ) Clean room and nice lay out. Kitchen and living room separate. Bedroom and bathroom is separate with a door. Tub and toilet had a door but sink and mirror basically in the bedroom. Two tv's. One in bedroom and one in living room with a dvd player. Kitchen was very nice with 2 burners. Microwave, dishwasher and fridge. All the basic utensils including plates, glasses and two pots. Very nice altogether.

The bad and I'm not picky. The AC unit is in your bedroom in a locked closet and boy it is noisy. On and off all night long. If your on the highway side you can expect to hear the highway all night long. Like having a AC window unit. The dogs barking and howling. I guess the room across from me on the second floor had two dogs and when they left the room the dogs started to howl. One morning at 7 am the dogs started to howl for 20 minutes. Not sure if it was the same room but also had dogs barking during the day and as late as 11 pm. And that was not the only room that had noisy dogs trust me. They also let the door slam when they were coming and going. I had a hard time sleeping on the bed. I found the topper to be a little lumpy.

The best part. The people that worked there. They were friendly and very very nice. The outdoor part in the back. The pool and lounge area were GREAT! Hung out many evenings out there. Pool was quiet almost everyday during the day but busy at night but very nice. If you could only get people to treat places like it was there own then everyplace would be a better place. People just don't care enough anymore.

I will never return because of noise of both the dogs, highway and AC noise.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the back side and see if you can avoid animal rooms. Not sure if all rooms hav...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Robert H
South Dakota
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is almost brand new remains in fantastic condition. That is a huge selling point with me. However, this factor in my overall satisfaction was eclipsed by the exemplary customer service! I had made my reservation months in advance....then a week or two before arrival, I adjusted the time frame (ie, removed one day from our stay). Our originally scheduled room type should have been available; however, for reasons I don't understand, the on-line reservation system put us in a different room type...with a long day of air travel involving flight delays followed by an introduction to San Antontio heat/humidity, this was anything but welcome news. BUT here's the great part: Akash, the Operations Manager, personally stepped up and took charge of our situation. He didn't rest until the situation was resolved to our satisfaction - no, to our DELIGHT. That is quite rare these days....kudos to Akash and to Staybridge Suites for having the good judgment to hire him. Jason, the front desk clerk, was also a gem....he actually listened to our concerns and carefully read over my hard copy reservation information; he didn't just shrug us off with an attitude of "whatever..." We saw Jason throughout our week's stay, and he consistently remembered us and cheerfully greeted us, etc. The other desk clerks were great as well. We had a mishap with our rental car, and the company left another car in the middle of the night. In the morning, I picked up the keys at the front desk, but had no idea where to start looking for the car (or even what kind had been left)....this young man personally escorted me to all three parking areas and helped me until we located the car. What a nice touch - certainly more than I would have expected. Beyond customer service, the hotel offers other great features....such as a complimentary dinner on selected week nights (we had hamburgers on the grill one night and BBQ quesadillas the next - both were tasty)....also laundry facilities - the three washers and six dryers were in great working order and they were FREE! (After doing two loads of laundry for a whopping $10 in Georgia, that was a welcome change of pace!). The acoustics of the hotel were wonderful, too (also getting to be a rarity these days)....the hotel seemed quite full, but I never heard noise in the hall or was awakened by such in the night. That was a huge plus as my daughter and I were getting up early each morning and needed our sleep. All in all, I can't think of a single aspect that was anything less than awesome. This is high praise, but extremely deserved. Good job to the staff at Staybridge Suites, San Antonio - Stone Oak!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SDakotavisitor
Kampala
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Having arrived late at Stone Oak and spending over an hour trying to trace this hotel, my eventual arrival at this Staybridge was so relieving.
The gentleman at the reception was quite professional. My reservation had been upgraded to the Executive wing on the 5th floor at no additional charge. The only drawback was that my room card could not activate the lift access to the 5th floor. But I did not complain as I had no problem coming out on the 4th floor and taking the stairs to the 5th floor since the card could open the door from the stairs on the 5th floor.
My hosts had earlier told me they had a corporate deal with Staybridge such that I qualified for a discount and free transportation to my host's offices in Stone Oak. But when I got there the receptionist seemed not to be aware of any such arrangement.
But the issue was efficiently sorted out the following day such that not only was I chauffeured to my host's place, the extra money I had paid was refunded to me.
When I got into the room I was so overwhelmed; I decided I would check out the next day three hours later than I had planned to.
There was a kitchen, complete with cutlery, coffee, tea, cream, kettle, microwave, cooker, fridge and much, much more. The room was so homely, with a comfortable bed. There was no curtain, though. This should not have been an issue as it was the 5th floor facing downhill with the immediate neighborhood being made up of wooded residential areas—am just tuned into sleeping in a room with closed curtains.
Since I had no device of my own, the private 5th floor business center helped my catch up with the rest of the world through internet.
The breakfast buffet was full of variety
Being on the 5th floor I had access to free drinks and snacks from the small store next to the reception area.
Had I anticipated what to find here I would have planned to stay at least two nights. No doubt, I plan to travel back to San
Antonio just to stay at this Staybridge!

Room Tip: The rooms away from the side of the highway are quieter considering the roadworks on 1604
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike O
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

Great for a long term stay option. Newer hotel - lot of amenities! We were there 40 days. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suite with my teenage daughter. It was plenty of space. The social events were great - especially the free beer! They have an awesome outdoor area!!

Downside - on three washers so you have to be willing to wait or plan in advance. But all the guests are friendly so it was not so bad!

• Stayed May 2013