“Not a good experience...”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Not a good experience...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I spent a week from 9/30/13-10/6/13 at this Embassy Suites Hotel for our anniversary. We were both greatly disappointed in this particular Embassy Suites.

1) The room (suite) was much smaller than depicted in the pictures on the website.
2) A two-block area on Soledad street leading to the hotel was filled with hobos, panhandlers, and thugs. Wife was vey frightened in this area.
3) Food preparation for the breakfast was available in two ways...dry eggs & very greasy bacon and sausage.
4) Manager's reception food lacked imagination...every night was like the movie 'Groundhog Day'.
5) Our' statement of charges' was incorrect...the October rate was changed in the computer but not reflected in our statement. On the elevator Sunday morning another guest said he was charged for 8 days of parking for a 3-day stay.
6) Both tvs in the suite were malfunctioning and losing the signal for a few seconds every 5 minutes or so, tough to watch any show, much less, a baseball or football game. We notified the desk and were told that the Engineering Dept. would check it out, however, it was not resolved.
7) $27.00 per day for parking plus $2.23 sales tax equaled $29.23 per day...OUTRAGEOUS!!!!
8) $33.00 per day State, City, and County sales tax, plus parking expense, resulted in our $184.00 room rate actually being $246.00 per night.

Loved San Antonio...but, Embassy Suites not so much!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank imdash22
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the property. We strive to provide our guests with an exceptional experience at the hotel and I apologize that we failed to achieve that goal during your stay with us. We typically receive great feedback from our guests regarding our suites as well as our complimentary cooked to order breakfast and evening reception and I am sorry that these aspects of your stay were not to your liking. As our goal is to create exceptional experiences I have shared your feedback with members of my management team so we may learn from your comments. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Joe Melton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Upon arriving in the room, there was a dirty rag on the vanity in the bathroom. I'm not sure if it was from the housekeeping staff or a previous guest. I put it in the hall and it was gone in the morning. In addition to the rag, there were stains on the bed sheets. The TV in the bedroom was not working. I pulled out the dresser and found the cable was not connected to the TV. After plugging it in, it worked. The AC unit in the bedroom was extremely loud. Wifi in the suite was horrible - basically useless. The signal would drop every 3 minutes and disconnect you from the internet. This happened on 3 wifi devices the entire stay - it was not an issue with the device - it was a wifi issue. All in all, the hotel was sufficient, but I was expecting more from an Embassy property in such a high profile location.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at our hotel. I certainly apologize for the challenges that you encountered with both the cleanliness and condition of your suite during your stay. Our objective is to be part of a great memory of time spent in San Antonio and I apologize that we failed to create that exceptional experience for you. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to provide you with the exceptional product and service I know we are capable of providing.

Del Rio, Texas
Reviewed October 5, 2013

The hotel is your typical Embassy Suites, friendly staff, large rooms, and free breakfast. My issue was placing room service and having my order lost. When I called to check on it at 10:30 they acknowledged losing it and offered to cook our dinner if we wanted to wait an additional hour. Seems like if you have lost an order you would offer to get it replaced as soon as possible. No way a steak and kids meal should take that long.

We got dressed and went to Luke's were they were happy to seat us even though it was a few minutes before closing. The food was excellent.

Breakfast was below par for an Embassy Suites. They failed twice to cook eggs properly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience with us. I am glad that you found the staff to be friendly, the suites to clean and spacious, and the dining experience in LUKE to be excellent. I am disappointed in the experience that you had with your room service order. Our objective is to execute all of the aspects of a stay that work together to create a great experience and I apologize that we failed to do that during your stay with us. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Temple, United States
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My exeprience here was wonderful. The breakfast and evening social exceeded my expectiations. Real hot food with a large selection. The location is on the river walk but not close to the noise. My rooms are all wonderful and the meeting layout was great.

Amersham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I am quite a fan of Embassy Suites hotels, and this one didn't disappoint. The location is excellent, within walking distance of Riverwalk restaurants and the Alamo. Suites are spacious, if a little dated, and since I had a bit of a bug whilst I was there I had the opportunity to spend a little more time testing the comfortable bed than I would have liked.The inclusive breakfast was good, although the breakfast area was a bit of a zoo at peak times. Recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Carmel, Indiana, Usa
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. The exercise romm is small, however the machines are good. I enjoyed the evening cocktail hour, however, the drink selection is limited. The complimentary breakfast has a good selection of food choices that are tasty with the exception of the taste of your coffee. Our conference area received premium coffee and when I attended the first floor breakfast, the coffee was weak. The room size, quality of materials, complimentary amenities in the room & bath, and the location in the building was perfect.

Oak Grove, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I was very impressed with the hotel and thought it was a beautiful place to stay. I overall enjoyed my expierience there and the evening reception was great as well as the breakfast choices. The only issue I had was it took a little long to check in and out of the hotel and the vending machines were not working on the 3rd floor. Also the housekeeper did not provide clean towels daily until late day and left the trash two days. Other than that, the stay was great. I would reccomend this motel to anyone. Beautiful place. The restaraunt was not very impressive as they had music that was too loud and table of people that were extremely loud and univiting. The drinks we had were average but the rolls were crisp. Prices also a little high.