“Hotel Great; Coffee Horrible”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Hotel Great; Coffee Horrible”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Great hotel right on the San Antonio Riverwalk. Evening reception drinks were spot on, but morning coffee needs help. Not all the cream and sugar in the world could help the coffee. Believe us, we tried. Overall, the hotel is clean and beds are comfortable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience with us. I am thrilled that you enjoyed the location of the property as well as the evening reception. A critical element to the hotel stay is being able to have a comfortable nights sleep and I am happy that you found the beds help facilitate that experience. I apologize that you did not enjoy the coffee offered at our complimentary breakfast. I have shared your feedback with my Culinary Team so they may delve deeper in to this concern to ensure we are offering a quality product at all times. Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Joe Melton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Korean first
New York, NY
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I have stayed at other much more expensive hotels in San Antonio but liked this one the best. It is great value for a huge suite with an amazingly comfortable bed. The breakfast buffet and happy hour with hors d'oeuvres were all free and an incredible value. The location is also great on a side canal on the river walk so less crowded but everything was accessible. The parking by valet was expensive but there is a much cheaper lot right across the street. The only other negative was the chamber maids. It took them until late in the afternoon to clean the room. It still wasn't done by 4PM so we called. The lobby and restaurant are freezing so bring a jacket when you go to eat! All in all I think this place is a true bargain giving so much more for the price.

Room Tip: Higher up the better. Don't overlook the pool as it was crowded with kids and I am sure very noi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank segmd
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am very happy that you found the value that Embassy Suites offers to be something that you really enjoyed. In addition to our value our location does work very well as you can enjoy the action of the more crowded section of the Riverwalk and we are just a few steps away where you can relax and unwind. We take great pride in the product and the service that we provide our guests and I am thrilled that we were able to be part of a positive memory of your time in San Antonio. Should your travels bring you back to San Antonio I hope you will give us another opportunity to be your home-away-from-home.

Greenville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2013

I had a small group of university students with me for a conference. The suites were perfect for them. It was an excellent value. Everyone enjoyed the breakfast and the location worked well. It was a short walk to the convention center and there was easy access to the Riverwalk. There were many affordable eateries in close proximity.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Debbie M
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay experience. The Embassy Suites brand is designed to create a great value for our guests and I am thrilled that we were able to create a memorable experience for you and the students that you brought to San Antonio. When you couple our value with our convenient location it really makes for a great stay. Thanks again and should your travels bring you back to San Antonio we hope that you will look to us to host your stay.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

The Internet is sporadic, the service polite but lacking in professionalism. The area is charming, the location very good. All in all our trip was marred by staying here.
The Internet was the most frustrating.

Would look elsewhere in future.....

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Gia K
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I certainly apologize that we failed to provide you with the quality of internet service that you expected as well as the level of professionalism you deserve. We take great pride in providing exceptional experiences and creating great memories and I am sorry that your experience just left you with an average impression of our hotel. I have shared your commentary with my team so that we may improve from this feedback and hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Yuma
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I recenly stayed at this hotel with an associate while attending a conference. I have always liked the Embassy Suites brand and chose it over others in the area. It is sad to report that while we were at breakfast one morning someone was able to get into our room and steal cash that we thought was well hidden. This property does not have safes in the room and of course it was naive of us to have thought our room was secure. Although management had an investgation that even involved the police. We were never contacted again to let us know of progress or even if we were doing okay. We actually decided to stay the length of the reservation. It is a huge disappointment that the hotel never followed through. When checking out the front desk wasn't even aware of the robbery.
Lesson learned. There are many hotels on the riverwalk i hihgly suggest that others find a more secure hotel when staying in San Antonio.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank captrue
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. The safety and security of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and I apologize that we failed to create that environment for you during your stay. We take any report of loss very seriously and although we failed to follow up with you during your stay I assure you that the hotel conducted a thorough investigation in to this matter and has shared our findings with the San Antonio Police Department for further investigation.

Panama City, FL
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Whatever you do, don't let the name fool you! Some might think of an Embassy Suites as a lower tier hotel and immediately pass it by, however this hotel, along the San Antonio RiverWalk, will not disappoint. Upon entry, you're greeted my a fairly impressive three story atrium-type lobby. We arrived long before check-in, (at about noon) however we were able to get into a room right away. (See my note about the room we ended up in.) The room was very clean and spacious with a good sized balcony. Wet bar with microwave and mini-fridge was super handy too. The blackout curtains were great, definitely doing their job quite well and the bed was comfy. The reason I rated the sleep quality what I did had nothing to do with the hotel itself, but because I was woken up by policy sirens a couple of times. Obviously not the hotel's fault at all. Only major complaint about the room was the water that leaked - make that poured - out of the shower. It's almost as if they forgot to put the rubber sealant strip across the bottom of the shower door to keep the water in. We had to get at least two extra towels every day just to clean it up. Minor annoyance. Other great aspects of this hotel is the complimentary breakfast and the nightly manager's reception. The breakfast consisted of premade scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, a cook-to-order omelet station, various cereals, yogurt, bagels/pastries, fruits...the list goes on. Hands down, this is one of the best and most extensive complimentary breakfasts I've seen. The manager's reception featured another nice spread of foods, like cold deli salads, chips and salsa, various snack mixes, sweets and free alcoholic beverages. And from what I could tell, there was no limit on the number of free drinks. All in all, two great perks! Parking was a bit steep, coming in at $27 per day, but it was valet with unlimited in-out privileges . Taking the massive freebies into consideration, I was more than happy to pay for secure parking. The hotel is on a more quiet section of the RiverWalk, however a quick walk - five minutes tops - gets you right in the thick of things. Bottom line - I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Our room (1022) was billed as a RiverWalk view room, however only two VERY tiny portions of the actu...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. We are very proud of the service and the product that we have to offer our guests and I am thrilled that you found everything exceeded your expectations. From the 2-room suites, to the complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast to our evening reception everything is designed to make this your home-away-from-home. We look forward to having you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I'm an HHonors member and have never been disappointed with this brand of hotels. Embassy is one of my favorites for the amenities and the consistency with the environment. I knew my way around the hotel as a result I could find things easily. The staff was great and helpful in recommendations on means of transportation to some out of the way places we wanted to go to. We didn't fully participate in the daily breakfast or nightly manager's receptions however it was nice to know if we didn't feel like going out we had an option to grab something quick and meet new friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends