“Great Stay at a Great Hotel”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Our party of three adults stayed at this Embassy Suites for six nights during Christmas week. The hotel was very nice, including the lobby area and the room. I've read some of the other reviews about rooms with complaints about odd layouts, no tubs, shower problems, etc., but we didn't encounter any of these issues. We had a suite with two queen beds and everything was very spacious and nicely appointed.

All of the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Check in was quick, valet and bell services were fine (valet could be a little slow at busy times, but you can call from your room to have the car brought up front), housekeeping did a good job and the breakfast and evening receptions were good, even when very busy. Also, both the front desk and valet employees were very helpful with directions to local attractions.

The hotel is on a quieter segment of the River Walk, but its only like a two minute walk to the busier area. Also, there's a bus stop right outside the hotel door where you can catch the downtown area trolley service.

Our only complaint would be about the $27 nightly charge for valet parking. It seems kind of steep. The signage at the valet stand says it $14 a day, $27 for overnight or $7 for restaurant parking. It seems they could give you a bit more of a break for overnight parking for their hotel. Yes, you can go find cheaper parking, but that wouldn't include in and out privileges or the valet service.

I would definitely stay at this location again.

Room Tip: We paid a small upcharge for a larger corner suite. The upcharge was nominal.
1  Thank Deb62862

Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

New property located on the river but away from the crush. Large, spotless rooms which we found to be very quite. Full breakfast and cocktail hour included. Instead of the managers reception, consider the happy hour at Marks, the on site fine dining facility. From 3 to 6, wine beer mixed drinks are half price along with fifty cent oysters and other half price apps. Not just at the bar but the entire room. Its far more peacefull than the lobby reception. guess you get what you pay cor. Also, consider parking one block down the street at the Weston Center garage, a clean, modern, safe facility for $12 vs using the hotel valet for $27. At busy times, the wait for your car at the valet can be long. This is a good option if you have little luggage.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank THEPOW
Reviewed December 30, 2012

We've been traveling to San Antonio from Austin for years and really enjoy staying at different properties mostly on the Riverwalk. Having eaten at the signature restaurant Luke and walked through the lobby we always commented that "we should stay here sometime". This Christmas trip with the family was the perfect opportunity. The lobby of this Embassy Suites is different and much better than others I've seen. It's absolutely beautiful complete with waterfalls and being situated right on the river the waterfalls continue outside and plunge directly down to river level. There's little question that this a four star lobby.

The location is one of the best on the river. Located on the corner of Houston and Soledad it's a stones throw from everything including the most popular part of the river walk but just far enough away to avoid the crowds and noise of that section of river. You can take a nice leisurely stroll north or south on the riverwalk and see some of the most beautiful sections of the river without ever running into the more "touristy" sections. Houston street has some of the best restaurants in town as well as the Majestic Theater as is only a couple of minutes from the lobby.

The rooms are typical suites for ES and very nicely appointed. The bedding is on par with finer hotels and the rooms come appointed with two flat screens, dining and living area and a bedroom. Small kitchen area with micro and refer come in handy. Generally quiet except an occasional screaming kid running down the hallway.

As much as we enjoyed our stay it didn't come without some complications. Under no circumstances should you book the "romance package" with "complimentary upgrade to river view room (upon availability)". Our son booked this package as a surprise and discovered the surprise was on him at check in. The upgrade to a river view room is totally at the hotels discretion and they certainly don't voluntarily adjust your room rate to a standard room if they don't have the river view rooms available.
The cheap champagne and strawberries (on the first night) certainly aren't worth the extra $20 plus per night. To their credit management volunteered a river view room with two queens after the first night but by then let's just say the "thrill was gone" and our son didn't want the hassle of moving. My recommendation is to book a river view room and BYOB or just wait for the complimentary drinks at the nightly managers reception.

When you get tired of the "free stuff" some of the best food in town is right off the lobby at Luke restaurant.

Overall this hotel an excellent choice for downtown and on the river.

Room Tip: If you want a river view room book a river view room online. Don't count on the complimentary up...
3  Thank callmaniac
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I tend to stay at Embassy Suites when I travel and booked this one for a convention I was attending. It turned out to be a bit of a walk from the convention center, but the price was much better than the hotels next door to the convention center that were the "headquarters" hotels.

What I thought was odd about this Embassy Suites is that it seemed to have been a different property in the past and was probably converted to an Embassy Suites. There is no atrium and the rooms (at least mine) appeared to be converted from your basic hotel room to a "suite." The living area seemed small and narrow (see picture) as did the bedroom and the bathroom. Most Embassy Suites I stay at (was at the Embassy Suites Dallas Park Central last week) have atriums and the rooms are pretty much the same kind of layout. No big deal, just not what you might be expecting if you tend to stay at Embassy Suites like I do.

Probably the thing I found most odd about the suite was the shower in the bathroom. Instead of the shower head being on the narrow end of the shower, it was on the longer, back wall. The first day I used the shower I literally flooded the bathroom as the shower was pretty much open and the water was spraying towards the bathroom, not the back wall like you would normally have in a shower. The next day I had to get creative and I removed the shower head aparatus from its' mount and would put it in the bar on the shower and angled it to spray in a different direction when I wasn't holding it. Hope this all makes sense (See picture I added). If not, check it out if you stay here. Also, check out my picture of the ironing board in the closet. It makes it almost impossible to put things in and take things out of the closet.

The breakfast was your typical layout and it wasn't ever too busy, although I went down fairly early for breakfast (6:00 - 6:30 a.m.). They even asked me for my room card, which I thought was odd as they rarely ask you for your room card anymore. I asked if I looked like I had just snuck in off the street, laughed and walked on. I got no reply.

As for the Manager's reception, it was one of the weirdest layouts I have ever seen. First of all, I am not used to gummy bears for a snack with wine, beer, margarita, whatever. The vegetables...cauliflower and broccoli seemd to glow. Seriously. They both tasted odd. Never seen anything like it. How hard can it be to make vegetables glow and taste odd? I have no idea what that stuff was. Be sure and check it out and taste it for yourself. They had lots of other stuff including a rice cracker kind of mix that one day tasted OK and the next day tasted stale. Unfortunately, I have forgotten all the other stuff they had...seems like they may have had chips and salsa and some cheese and crackers. Bottom line, lots of stuff but not very appetizing.

I do remember that the beer and wine was decent. Some Embassy Suites (actually most) serve the cheapest wine they can get their hands on and generally serve a less expensive beer. Every now and again you will come across a Manager's reception where you can get beer like Shiner Bock and some wine that tastes decent and this Embassy Suites came through on that. However, I tried one of their margaritas and it wasn't too hot. So, basically, hit and miss.

The area where they have the breakfast and Manager's reception is huge, so I didn't encounter any long lines for drinks or had to hunt for a place to sit. As for kids...typical Embassy Suites. I will never understand why parent's bring their kids to what I believe to be an adult event...as in alcohol being served. In Dallas last week, the kids were lined up in the bar line to get a soda. Oh well, that's just my 2 cent opinion.

While the Embassy Suites is on the "Riverwalk", it's probably not what you would envison when choosing a hotel on the Riverwalk. They have a restaurant on the main level where you can eat out on their patio on the "Riverwalk," but it is not a very scenic location. If you are looking for something a little bit more romantic in conjunction with the Riverwalk, you might want to choose a different property. The Embassy Suites is kind of on the tail end of all the restaurants, bars, hotels, etc. on the Riverwalk and again, not a very scenic location.

All that said, if you like Embassy Suites, you won't be all that disappointed, just know that this one is "Not your typical Embassy Suites."

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed at Embassy Suites on Christmas weekend and I was pleasantly surprised. Though i made decision to stay here after reading reviews here and i must say, this place sticks to its reputation. I had King Suite first night but that was bit small for my family so i got an upgrade to Two Queens for remaining days. Staff was nice and polite and ready to help. Location is best for visiting River Walk. There is an elevator going down straight from Restaurant to River Bank. This was blessing for us as we were traveling with infants in Baby Strollers. Breakfast was plenty and good to have a quick fresh start in morning, in evening there is Manager's Special Happy Hour where you can have some snacks, juices and drinks on the house. Only issue was parking which was around 30$ overnight, however that is almost same in this area. There is an outdoor parking lot right in front of hotel where you can park for 20$. I got a special value package via Hilton Promotion so for me this place offered way more than I paid for. Will highly recommend to anyone visiting San Antonio.

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Meero
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel Thanksgiving night as we were coming through San Antonio. The hotel itself is gorgeous. The rooms are decorated more elegantly than any other Embassy Suites I have ever seen, and believe me, I've seen a lot! Now for the down side: the rooms are a bit smaller than the usual Embassy Suites and the room only had a shower, no bathtub. And you better like kids, because they were literally running around everywhere during the breakfast buffet. The parking situation leaves a bit to be desired as well. It is expensive whether you self-park or valet. But breakfast was good.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DilleauxL
Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk in September and I was very impressed with the Hotel and the staff, that when I was making plans to visit San Antonio again in December I knew where I wanted to stay! I was impressed once again!! The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas and it was a little busier then when I stayed in September but this didn't stop the Valet, the Bellman , the front desk staff or any of the staff for being attentive or friendly.When my family and I arrived at the hotel we were greeted by Jesus Manager of Valet. Vernon N brought our luggage upstairs he always goes out of his way to make sure we have everything we need and makes our family feel comfortable .We feel Vernon N is an asset to this Hotel and an employee like him make us want to continue staying at the Embassy Suites.We always opt for a bellman to help us bring our luggage to our room since we travel with our 2 year son it makes it easier for us. We are very impressed with the service we get at this hotel!! We arrived on a Friday evening the front desk was busy but, we didn't have to wait long to be checked in.We were greeted by Tiarra she was very friendly . We stayed 3 days at the hotel and on all three days the staff was friendly . Kelsey was at the front desk on Sunday night when I had questions she was very helpful, friendly and has a great personality ! We love staying at the Embassy Suites on the Riverwalk the rooms are always clean , the hotel is beautiful, the staff is friendly , we love the Manager's reception in the evenings, the complimentary breakfast in the morning is a great start to our day.Rudy is very nice and the guys that made our omlets were very friendly and make great omlets! We love staying on the riverwalk and we love the riverwalk veiw from our room. We always bring our 2 year old son with us when we travel and the Embassy Suites Riverwalk always makes us feel like he is welcomed . We ordered room service and the food was delicious and reasonably priced and the ladies that brought our food up to us was on both nights were very nice. We will continue staying at the Embassy Suites on the Riverwalk when ever we have to travel to San Antonio . I don't have anyhing negative to say about this hotel. There isn't too many hotels you can stay at that offer free drinks whether bar brands or not every evening and complimentary breakfast every morning where you can order an omlet to your liking and that the hotel is clean and beautiful with a friendly staff that is always at the front desk .We also enjoy the chips, salsa , fruit and etc served in the evenings with the complimentary drinks and my son enjoys the gummy bears , too!! Thank you Embassy Suites Riverwalk for a great stay !! P.S there is also, computers and a printer that we were able to use to print out last minute directions.

2  Thank Seghers K