Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Decided to take my wife to the Riverwalk for our anniversary, tried to get a room at the Hilton Palacio Del Rio, but they had no vacancies. The young lady recommends we try the Embassy Suites on the Riverwalk, boy we were not disappointed in the least. On the day of our arrival we were running late so I call to let them know. Mika who is running the guest services desk tells me not to worry that we still had a room, she ask if we have made dinner arrangements for our anniversary, I had not, so she recommends a nice Mexican Restaurant called Acenar. She gives me the number and I make the call and we are in. Once we arrive check in was a breeze and we are greeted by Mika who had everything ready for us. The room was awesome; we had a view of the Riverwalk below a very nice touch. It is people like Mika at guest services and Warren who met us out front and helped with our luggage and parking that make Hilton Properties a joy to stay in, if you have time a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river if you can, you will not be disappointed.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 9, 2012

I have stayed at many upscale hotels all over the United States I have to say this is the BEST hotel I have ever stayed at ! When you pull up to the front of the Embassy Suites you are greeted by a very friendly valet/ bellman staff. Vernon N and all the valet staff are very friendly and helpful. Vernon was very polite and went out of his way to help me on several occasions . If you need great directions somewhere , he's the guy to ask! I was staying at the hotel for my son's graduation from USAF BMT at Lackland AFB. When you step into the massive lobby you will notice how beautifully decorated it is and the cleanliness of this gorgeous hotel. There is beautiful waterfalls and large areas of seating all over the front lobby . The people at the front desk are very professional and courteous. Kelsey at the front desk helped us check in and was very informative , she had the biggest smile and the most bubbly personailty on all 4 of the days we were at the hotel every time she saw us she would ask us how we were and if we needed anything! The rooms are beautiful and very spacious and very clean , especially great for traveling with a toddler.In the morning the hotel has a wonderful breakfast and you can order omelets to your liking . In the evening down in the lobby everyday from 5:30 pm - 7:30 pm there is a free reception for the hotel guest where you can order cocktails and snack on appetizers.My husband and I ordered room services and the food is delicious ...room service stops at a 11pm . When you want to go outside on the riverwalk you can go through Luke's Resturant to use the elevator , this is very helpful when you have a small child in a stroller. Luke's Resturant also , has superior food!!! The riverwalk boat taxi will pick you up right outside of the Embassy Suites for a fee. I honestly have to say, "this is the best hotel stay I have ever had in all my traveling" !!! I have never stayed at a hotel before where All the staff is super friendly and so willing to help you out!!!

Room Tip: The beautiful outdoor pool is on the roof on the 3rd floor . I enjoyed having a room on the 15 th fl...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 8, 2012

The strongest selling point to this hotel is the downtown location on the Riverwalk. It's a short walk to the main restaurants along the water, to downtown businesses or to the Alamo.

The downside to the hotel is it's a "volume" hotel -- it's huge and caters to large groups, including high school sports teams, weddings and tour groups. As a result, there are long lines during the free breakfast and evening manager's reception, especially on weekends. The breakfast is huge area seats about 200 -- a sign of how busy this property is. They've got a good "industrial cafeteria" set up so that people and volume move efficiently, but it's always crowded, reminiscent of an airport property.

The rooms are well appointed but small -- they cram a lot of furniture in a small space. The decor is OK and they've got a good selection of channels on TV.

Housekeeping is poor -- they didn't clean the shower or vacuum once during my five nights. The housekeepers were surly, aggressive and looked unhappy. Food trays were in the halls throughout the day and night. The valet parking also is painfully expensive - $29 a night -- but the valet and bell hop team was great..

The postage-stamp-sized pool only gets sun in the morning hours and was swarming with kids during the day and wedding or tour group revelers at night.

Luke, the onsite John Besh-signature restaurant, was only "average." They too are a "volume" establishment, though they've got a great bar for watching sports and enjoying the AC.

For business travel it's completely adequate, with all the basics covered. It's also a good value for the price if you book through a discount website.

Room Tip: If you're a Hilton Honors member, e-check-in online early and pick your room from the Web.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Joe Melton

Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had company in for the labor day weekend so I decided to take them to San Antonio and burn some of my Hilton Honors points for a couple of free suites. They absolutely loved it! The rooms are elegantly furnished. Evening manager's reception was great. Along with the standard fare of liquors and drinks, they also had a good selection of appetizers. It was hot, but the hotel was cool. We had riverview rooms. There is not a lot of action on that part of the river, just taxis, mostly. Anyway, I reccomend this property. I was going to stay at the Hilton Palacio del Rio but I correctly assumed my friends would appreciate the happy hour and breakfast. I found a new favorite among the Hilton properties for San Antonio.

My pet peeves were nonexistant here, there were plenty of electrical outlets for me to charge my electronics, and internet spped was fine. Happy travels!

Room Tip: I liked the riverview rooms. We were on the 8th floor and had a good view. I think anything below th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We chose this hotel based on location and the fact that they have rooms that will accomodate a family of 5. We opted for a 2 room 'larger' suite over the river view (after viewing both) and it was a great choice. The river is more of a canal so the view is not spectacular and we were much happier with the extra space. Large bedroom with 2 queen beds and expansive living room that was easily twice the size of the bedroom. Pool was satisfactory, breakfast was standard ES fare, managers reception had a nice assortment of food (tex-mex, cheeses,fruit, veggies). Easy walk to the River Walk and the Alamo. No need to drive anywhere which is always nice. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: The '2 Room Larger Suite' is MUCH better than a River View room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2012

First off as a Silver Hilton honors member who clearly has a request to never be near an elevator I do not appreciate being put directly across the hallway from an elevator. Woke us up several times and we had people knocking on our door just for the fun of it since we were so close to it. Secondly on our 3rd night there when we had been at sea world all day long and stayed for the firework show, when we get back to our room around 11 o'clock at night I expect all three of our keys that were never around our cell phones to work. We had clearly been locked out of our room even though we were bookedthere for a four night stay. When I have to go all the way down back to the lobby from the 17th floor and no one really seems that concerned this really bothered me. Last but not least. If you're sitting in the lobby make sure you never look underneath the coffee tables at the bottom part of it because you will see a very thick layer of dust. Also when housecleaning comes to clean our room I clearly expect them to get my hair that I put on the shower wall that comes off in the trashcan for me. This just shows they never scrub the shower walls. Last but not least, we went out to the pool around 11AM on a Saturday. There was no bar open and no kind of water or anything for children to get a drink out of. We brought our cooler down from our room because we had kids water and juice in it and some beer for us(100° day.) We were there for about 3 1/2 hours before they finally opened up the bar and then the bartender got onto us for having a cooler down there. By that time we had only brought a few beers and had only water and soda left. We were told we were never allowed to have a cooler there to begin with. But had the bar been open like it was supposed to be we would not have needed it. Overall I think the customer service sucked here and this hotel was not at all prepared for Labor Day weekend crowd. Hotel itself looks beautiful but I would not stay here again and I do not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for sharing feedback regarding your recent stay experience. I certainly apologize that we failed to provide you with the quality of product or service that you have come to expect from us. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience and your feedback has been shared with our team. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider giving us another chance to exceed your expectations should your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Joe Melton

Reviewed September 3, 2012

This Embassy is not built around an atrium so it is quieter. Nicely appointed rooms and very nice size bathroom. The decor gives a sense of luxury and the back of the hotel is on the riverwalk. The evening Manager's reception is well garnished and they make sure that it is stocked for the totality of the happy hour (unlike certain Embassy properties that serve the cheese tray once and that is it...).And the girls at the bar were really great as well as the wait staff. The reception desk people are neither here nor there. They essentially check you in...for that type of unpersonal service you could have a machine do it... on the reservation it was marked 2 adults I am standing in front of this guy with my husband that hands him his credit card and he still asks me if there is a second adult in the room?... There is a way to ask the question such as "I see you have reserved for 2 adults would you like 2 keys?" I do not think that English was his native language but if that is the case, then Management should at least ensure (for whatever slight role they may have in this position) that the way the language is used does not irritate the guest? It is well placed. The only reason I do not give this hotel an excellent rating is because to have very recently built a hotel this size and made a miniature pool is idiotic above all in the summer when everyone wants to cool off, you can't even get into the pool and there are not enough chairs. That was really disappointing for an otherwise really great property.

Room Tip: If you ask for a room with a view or a terrace you will pay more. I did not see that option when I b...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple