“One night stay on the Riverwalk”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Newcastle
“One night stay on the Riverwalk”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed here with our 10 year old son and a couple of family members the weekend before last and it was excellent. The room we had overlooking the Riverwalk was nicely decorated and clean, the beds very comfortable and given that it included a tasty cooked breakfast including freshly made omlettes, it was very reasonably priced. Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank L4dge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Korean first
georgia
Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights and it made an "Embassy Suites Chick" out of me! I was spoiled by them from the second I stepped into the lobby! We enjoyed peaceful moments in the Lobby, the excellent breakfast as well as the Manager's Reception. The room was awesome and so relaxing. Location can not be beat! I'm returning in 2 weeks w/other friends and will definitely stay here!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank georgia2009
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 16, 2012

This newer hotel on the riverwalk is great for couples and families. The rooms are clean and well furnished.
The location is a short distance to all the riverwalk attractions.
The only small complaint is the slow maid service.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012
RSM, California
Reviewed April 14, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful stay here. We were there 5 days and 5 nights. We were highly impressed and would highly recommend this hotel and location to anyone. We must have missed the spring break rush as our "crowds" for breakfast were non-existant (as many previous reviews mentioned lots of people and waiting involved). The breakfast room was 3/4 empty at any given time on each day. The hotel is spotless clean and is one of, if not the, BEST Embassy Suites I've ever stayed in or seen. Our service attendants (desk, valet, breakfast, and managers reception) were ALL outstanding in every way. It seemed obvious though that are room housekeeping attendance were different each day. Each day our room was "cleaned" slightly different. In the 5 day stay, non of those days did we come back to the same look or service. The hotel is in a good location. Though not located as close to the main portion of the riverwalk as some other hotels, it really is only a 5 - 10 minute walk to pretty much every main attraction in San Antonio. We walked to the Alamo (10 quick minutes), The Rivercenter Mall (next to the Alamo); The Mexican Shopping Market "El Mercado" (8 minutes in the other direction), and of course the famed riverwalk (5 - 7 minutes). Even the Alamodome Sports Complex is not that far away. We could see it from our 9th floor balcony. I read a few reviews back about the hotel being in a "shady" area of town. We didn't see it that way. The entire area and Houston street in which it is located, is VERY historic with MANY photos and historic explanations located all around Houston street and the streets connecting to it. It is really a neat area to walk and soak up the history of the riverwalk area. The only thing we would do different is NOT park a car at the hotel. $27 a day is crazy. A 5 day stay,... you do the math. We were hosed. Between hotel taxes and valet, that was almost $50/day on top of the hotel rate. Keep that in mind. Every family is different if they need a car or not, but we would probably not even get a car next visit. We hardly used it. Just about everything that you would typically do in SA is within walking distance of the hotel. All-in-all, we would highly recommend this hotel and area to stay. I hope we can return some day.

Room Tip: We had a room with a larger balcony than most rooms facing down (East) Houston Street and the Riverw...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Travlin2
Cedar Brook, New Jersey
Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We just returned from a family vacation and stayed at Embassy suites. Not only was it a great location from everything in town (Alamo, Riverwalk right next to hotel, restaurants) but the hotel makes a hot breakfast included in price and a great happy hour with some simple appetizers included in price! Our daighter slept on the pull out couch which allowed my husband and myself some privacy in our room. I thought it was a beautiful hotel in a terrific city and would reccomend it to my friends....so why not strangers, too!

Stayed April 2012
Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel is great. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is very clean! The staff is so friendly and helpful. Everyday there is a buffet breakfast. My husband loved it. There is aan omelet and eggs station. This was great. The omelets were wonderful. From 5:30 - 7:30 everyday there is also a manager's reception. Free drinks and food. Things varied slightly, but for the most part was the same daily. This was a nice time to relax after a busy day and hold us over until our dinner. The rooms were nicely decorated. It's nice to have the 2 rooms. We enjoyed being able to sit on a couch and not have to worry about hanging out on a bed. Hotel is on the Riverwalk, just around the corner from the busy section. This was perfect for us. You could be to the "main" section of the Riverwalk in a 5 minute walk. We felt hotel had a perfect location for ALL that we did. Hope you enjoy it as much as us!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Altadena, CA
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Oh Hilton, I love you but this property let you down
It is a combination of the little things.
Greeting your customer when they roll up to check in. You didn't. Even when I checked out, there was no one at the desk. The obviously rushed young lady was making copies for the guest ahead of me. The phone was ringing, ringing, ringing.

I just wanted to know where to stow my luggage...and no one was around. Finally the young lady came back, and I understand her fluster. She was swamped.

Smile, say hi. I know you may have had a rushed day, but so have I and I still said “hi”

Checking in: Upon entering my room, I noted the place was very large, beautifully laid out, with three separate rooms (bathroom, bedroom and living area/dining table. Gorgeous. But that went downhill when I ordered room service around 1PM. It wasn’t too busy. I SAW the lobby. No one there.
The food:The tomato/mozzarella salad with balsamic dressing was just sad. I may be resigned to tasteless tomatoes (few do it well), but the mozzarella was also bland and so was the dressing! How do you do bland balsamic dressing??? And, in one of my admitted pet peeves, you used bagged prewashed lettuce…that you did not check or rewash once it left the kitchen.
How do I know?
I took pictures of the wilt around the edges of the salad. The chicken tortilla soup lacked much flavor. The cup of coffee was fine. Better than what I got at breakfast.

After the first breakfast, despite it being free I was at Starbucks down the street. Their oatmeal was much better too, as the oatmeal served for breakfasts at Embassy was properly thick the first morning, but a watery gruel the next and only brown sugar and raisins and granola on the side. I love berries, or fruit to be added. Chunky cantalope won't work.

The valet service was a minor bright spot. Helpful and courteous and they said thank you. I remember that. It is a bit steep (29 bucks a day) but given the issue with the street parking meters not working one day, it was my only option.

The cleanliness of the property was another bright spot. The managers reception is fine. A pasta salad, fresh fruit, cheese, wine, beer, tortilla chips. Very nice.

I was stopped by security before being allowed to board the elevator each night, and that is probably a good thing, to keep non hotel visitors out of the guest sleeping areas.

Summary: Look, I want to love you Hilton. I am a fan. I am one of your members. But your property “phoned it in” as they say. San Antonio is a huge conference town, but this was not a great or even a good experience for me. Your kitchen let you down one day, but is started on check in. Say hello, look me in the eye, thank me for my business. Because really, I just want to be reminded of why I am so loyal to you...this was forgettable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business