“Great weekend at the Embassy Suite Riverwalk in San Antonio”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband and I went for a quick weekend to San Antonio (April 6-8, 2012). We stayed at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk. I would highly recommend this lodging to anyone. The managers reception each evening at 5:30 pm was tremendous. Drinks and plenty of food. The breakfast each morning was outstanding. The staff was extremely helpful. We just walked out the door and across the street was the riverwalk. We did not rent a car, so we walked everywhere. The Embassy Suites is within walking distance of pretty much anything you would want to see in the downtown area. It is one of the newer hotels in the downtown area.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown

Reviewed April 8, 2012

This is a great hotel - excellent location on the riverwalk, nice new rooms, and lots of space for families. But the maid service was really, really bad.

One day, we returned to our room, and the maid was in the hallway having supposedly just cleaned our room. Although she made the beds, she did nothing else. The trash remained in thhe trash cans, the towels weren't changed, no new toiletries, coffeemaker had no new supplies, and the bathroom sink wasn't wiped down. When I went back into the hallway, the maid was chatting with a friend and using her phone. I asked her for towels, etc., and she barely apologized and told me she was having a rough day.

Also, the hotel allows room service trays and glasses to remain outside the doors for over 24 hours. It looks sloppy.

While the included breakfast is great, the bus seripvice in the dining room is lethargic. You might have to wait for over 10 minutes for a clean table to appear. We had to flag someone down each morning to ask them to clean a table.

This hotel has so much going for it, and management really needs to address these issues. The only thing preventing this hotel from being truly outstanding are some service issues, and I think cleanliness is important. I hate to sound picky, but several other TripAdvisor reviewers have also noticed these issues.

Room Tip: High floors have great views!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your expectations and based upon your review I am actively participating with our housekeeping and culinary teams to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Joe Melton

Reviewed April 5, 2012

Beautiful hotel but if you want your room cleaned you need to be out by 9:30 AM at the latest. If the maid knocks on the door and you are still there, she will not come back later. We told her we would be leaving in 5 minutes and she responded by offering us towels. I thought she was simply asking if we needed any additional towels before we left for the day, but apparently she did not intend to come back at all. I should have accepted the towels because when we came back after being out from 9:30 to 4:00, the room hadn't been touched and there were no clean towels. I called and asked if it was too late to get the room cleaned and the man who answered the phone said no, but when the maid arrived she asked "what do you need?" I asked if we could get our room cleaned and she said "what specifically do you need done?". At that point I backed down and just asked for new towels as we left again to get out of her way. We came back 6 hours later to find that all of our old towels had been taken and no new towels had been left. I called the front desk to ask for towels. After an hour they still had not arrived, so I called again. I was very apologetic but the clerk hung up on me after saying she had already sent them. I waited another 30 min and called guest services. The man who answered was a bit friendlier and after another half hour we finally got our towels.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank CandC60885
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The two-room suite gave me a place to check email at a desk and watch tv from a sofa, then retreat to quiet uncluttered bedroom. Bathroom was spacious and clean. Free breakfast and manager's reception gave me great opportunity to socialize with colleagues. They became our meeting points at each end of the conference. Meeting rooms comfortable both for presentations and luncheon. Also close to restrooms and nice wide balcony with comfortable chairs for breaks. Of course, the location was steps away from Riverwalk, local shopping and .5 mile from the Alamo historic site. I'm signing up for their loyalty program because I know I'll stay at Embassy Suites again.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank HappyCent
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Recently stayed here w my family of 5. The hotel is located in the perfect spot. We walked everywhere, but it was quiet after dark. You can be to the center of the action within 5 minutes, but don't need to hear it all night long. The breakfast is one of the best we have ever had at any ES. We stayed in a corner suite and it was huge. If you need extra space, choose this room type.

Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Illinitrav5
Reviewed March 29, 2012

We just returned from a 3 night stay at the Embassy Suites and it was near perfect. We had two adults and 2 teenagers in our room and it worked out well. Having the two rooms was so nice. The living room is a fine size and although the pull out couch wasn't as comfortable as a regular bed, it wasn't too bad according to the over 6 foot tall teenager who slept on it. It was nice that there was a sink and a large mirror over the sink in the kitchen, so that someone could use that to get ready if the bathroom was occupied. The beds in the bedroom were very comfortable. The room is a bit of a tight squeeze (we had 2 beds) but it was fine. There are 2 closets-one in the room and one out in the other area which was helpful. The dresser drawers are huge which was nice. There are lots of outlets on lamps for all the electronics which was also nice.

As far as the room goes the only negatives were that the air condioner in the bedroom blows right onto one of the beds so my husband was freezing, but the rest of us were fine. I also wish they had a makeup mirror in the bathroom,but not a huge deal.

We did use the pool and the fitness room, both of which are on the 3rd floor. The fitness room had lots of cardio machines (maybe 9?) including elipticals, treadmills and a bike. The pool is adequate. Don't plan on doing laps. It is a square pool. We went in the afternoon and it was in shade at that point so no suntanning but the water temp was fine. There is a hot tub too. A bar also which we didn't use so can't comment on service or quality.

Last but not least, the breakfast was quite good. The line was very long the first day (Spring Break) but they made accomodations the next day and put the hot food on a table so the line could go on both sides and it was separate from the omelette station-good move on their part. Nice crispy bacon and tasty omelettes. Get there early if you want bananas. They ran out of those every day. The managers reception in the afternoon was also nice. Pretzels, chips, salsa, cheese, beans, fresh veggies, cold pasta, popcorn, nice soft gummie bears, cheese (wish they had crackers) and a few other things. Wine, beer, margaritas, mixed drinks, sangria, rum punch.

There is a river taxi stop at the hotel which we used a few times. I wish the hotel had a bar or restaurant on the river level as others do, but they don't. Not sure why.

It was a nice stay and we would stay again. It is a very convenient location!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank coloradowahine
Reviewed March 24, 2012

I came with two friends for spring break looking for a good deal on a Riverwalk hotel. We chose this one because of the location backing up to the river, the price, and the good reviews.
We stayed in a king suite. It had a good amount of room for three girls with lots of toiletries. It has a good size bathroom as well as a long counter with a sink in the livingroom area. There were two TVs and two closets as well.
The first night we stayed was St. Patrick's day, so we were worried about the potential for noise and rowdy neighbors, but once we came back to the hotel around 1AM, all was quiet in the hotel and we slept without interruptions.
Although I had read about issues with the maid services, our experience with the guest services was excellent. In fact, the maids, bellhops, and room service staff were more friendly than the front desk staff. A maid came back to our room in the evening to bring us towels without being asked on a day that we had slept in and missed our room cleaning. One night, there was a tornado watch near San Antonio. The lady who brought us our room service was very understanding and told us not to worry - the hotel would call us if the weather got too severe near the hotel. Over all, our experience with the service people was great.
A big perk of the hotel was the complementary breakfast. There was a huge selection: omelettes, pancakes, cereal, bagels, oatmeal, biscuits and gravy, eggs, etc. I would suggest trying to get down there before 8:30, because every time we came down after that we had to wait to get a table and the food was lukewarm.
For the price, the location was quite good, but it was near the edge of the Riverwalk area and was surrounded by sketchy areas on a couple of sides. Let's just say I wouldn't want to walk alone on some of those streets at night.
We really had a great stay at this hotel and would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends