“Resisted giving AAA discount”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #17 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed January 20, 2012

This hotel is lovely and clean. We loved our suite and the view of the Riverwalk below. When we checked in the staff was very "snippy" and did not want to give me the AAA discount. In order to "see if I could get the AAA discount", the front desk clerk had me walk to a phone across the lobby and talk to a corporate Embassy Suites operator who was holding on the line. This operator gave me the AAA discount and told me to give the phone back to the front desk clerk. I explained that I was across the lobby and not near the front desk. She told me to put the phone down, not to hang up and walk to the front desk and tell the clerk there to pick up the line. I did as she told me, but then the desk clerk could not reconnect with the corporate Embassy Suites operator. This problem cost me another 10 minutes of standing at the front desk as the desk clerk searched his computer to find the information that the corporate operator had just entered. We used our AAA card at hotels all across the country and every hotel in which we stayed (except this one) immediately gave us the AAA discount.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Riverwalk, of course.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank Campers5
Write a ReviewReviews (2,212)

Reviewed January 20, 2012

The location on the riverwalk (right in between the Alamo and the Market) was great. It was easy to walk around and the riverwalk was beautiful. We had a river view room which probably wasn't that much different from the other rooms. I did see inside a room on a lower floor and the ceilings looked really low, so our room on an upper floor seemed like a better bet. The room itself was giant. It was great to have the separate living room and bedroom when everyone gets up at a different time. The breakfast downstairs was huge (and the biscuits on the weekend were delicious). There was also a reception each evening with drinks and snacks. There is also a fridge and microwave in the room. It could get pretty crowded at the weekend breakfast, but the lobby and dining area are quite large to accommodate.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 10, 2012

This is a great hotel. Pleasant atmosphere. Quiet. Clean. Nice reception in the evening, and as always, great breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I was disappointed (just pouting, really) that they didn't have a river view suite available for me, but I really didn't matter. This place is impeccably clean, nicely furnished and full of helpful staff ready to offer assistance. It's right on the riverwalk but nicely removed from the chaotic crowds in other areas. I'll be going back to this place!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2012

Really liked this hotel..did not book river view but asked when we arrived and they said if we could wait an hour we could have it. We gave them our cell phone and they called us when it was ready. Room was very nice. Like the Embassy because of the managers reception and complimantary breakfast. The hotel was crowed but they were very organized and getting drinks as well as breakfast were fast and easy. As for being on the riverwalk...this hotel is not on the river walk "proper", but just a 5 minute walk to the main part. Also liked that this hotel is between the market and river walk and walking to either is easy.
For the negatives...first...parking! It was $24 a day to park. We were there over a weekend so parked on the street and fed the meter on Saturday, spent about 6 bucks and then Sunday is free. There is a lot across the street which is 15 a day. Other negative was the only bar is located in the adjoining restaurant, which closed at 11:00. So, when we got back Sat.night and wanted a night cap we had to go across the street to the Valencia Hotel.
But...even with those short comings we had a great stay and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank lashcroft
Reviewed January 6, 2012

I stayed 3 nights at the upsacle new Embassy Suites. Front desk clerk put us in handicapped room without our knowledge or blessing so no hot baths for my achey back pain. Then the shower head had only a slow trickle of lukewarm water. We complained about the inadequate shower but no change. Then on our 3rd day before a big event, we oculd not get our room cleaned. I called and complained and got nowhere. I tracked down the maid in person and got nowhere. I finally got some towels about 530-6 pm when it was too late to use them. So with no shower working and no towles, I went to be big event looking pretty shabby. After the big event on our final night we were not allowed access to our room at 1 am and had to wait about 30 minutes for elevators to be availab.e We begged to walk up the few floors to our room and 3 different desk clerks refused us access. All the guests were furious since we were exhausted. The final straw was the army of ants in our room. We wont be back. I provided written complaints to Embassy Suites directly and no response. Mary, Galveston,TX

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank mferriswheel
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I've stayed in dozens of Embassy Suites but this one is now my favorite! Checking in took about 2 minutes. The attendant was helpful in suggesting restaurants to us. But what set this hotel apart from the others, was the beautiful room! It was straight out of the '70's decor, but it was so pretty! It's laid out a little differently from most ES and it really felt more like a suite. The only negative I have was with breakfast. They were very short staffed and trying to find a clean table took a long time. Upon checking out, the manager asked me how everything was and I told him my only complaint was the dirty tables in the dining room at breakfast. He then told me he was not fully booked Saturday morning, but by Saturday night, the hotel was completely full and he was short staffed. I'm not sure if he thought that would justify the customer pointing out the fact that there were dozens of people roaming around the dining room with their food trays in hand looking for a place to sit. Nevertheless, I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple