“Very professional”

Ranked #20 of 281 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Come on down (way down) at the largest underground attraction in Texas! Daily guided tours allow guests to explore large underground chambers and see huge formations. The largest room is bigger than a football field. Above ground, discover rocks, minerals, and rough-cut gems at the Natural Bridge Mining Company Sluice. The Canopy Challenge will test your agility on over 40 different obstacles while you are on our 4 story, 60 foot high Adventure Course. Then you can fly across the scenic Texas Hill Country on our zip-lines! (Canopy Challenge is open daily but weather dependent.)
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Easy destination to find with our rental car and my google map app on my i phone. Very nice buildings and gift shop. Guide was very nice and knew her stuff. The cave was very hot even though the temp was only 70 the humidity made it feel like 85. I had to bail on the tour very quickly as I am claustrophobic, however my husband and friends enjoyed the tour very much while I waited outside. Incredible these were only discovered in the early sixties.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,234)
All reviews
"own pace"
in 35 reviews
"other attractions"

Reviewed February 17, 2014

- Discovery tour is for the first timer and it does not involve crawling into tight space,over the mud etc. Tour itself lasted around 75 minutes and charges $19 ($2 off to AAA, coupon etc). Combo ticket also available.
- Suitable for all ages (elderly be careful of steep walkway, dim light) and especially to those never been to other famous caverns of USA like giant Carsbad Cavern of New Mexico or easily accessible and beautiful Luray Cavern of Virginia.
- Nice picnic areas in parking lots and I saw many family enjoying before and after the tour. Some are even doing bbq (grill provided). A more careful plan could save a lot of money since only cafeteria like place at ticket center is expensive. $28 for a whole pizza, really!!
- Canopy challenge after exiting the cave and mineral finding activities (for smaller kids) for additional fee.
- Less ripped off fee for a group photo at the end of the tour ($10.99 is the fairest I ever seen in those tourist trap places).

Things could improve:
- food and drinks could be sold at a lesser ripped off price.
- size of each tour should be smaller. Current limit is around 50 and people at the end of the group can not hear what was saying at the front.
- should have a combo, discount ticket with Natural Bridge Wildlife/Safari tour since people already drove 1 hour out of San Antonio. This make more sense rather than a part of combo deal or day pass with other low value, tourist trap activities in town. People will spend most of the time in town and will rarely make it to the out of town attraction like this one.

5  Thank bigboy61455
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our trip to natural bridge caverns was amazing. I never imagined the caverns would look like they did. The hike thru the caverns was a little steep at times, but was well worth it. My only complaint was we were with a tour group that had very small children that kept crying, making it impossible to hear the tour guide. I would not recommend this attraction for small children, the elderly, or the physically challenged as there was flights of stairs and steep inclines. With all that said we plan to return soon with our 15 year old.

1  Thank brazosport69
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I've been to other caverns before, but I thoroughly enjoyed the Natural Bridge Caverns! The waiting area is very nice, with food & beverage options, information on the caverns and surrounding area, a nice gift shop, and very clean restrooms. Our tour guide was fabulous, very informative, and fun. I highly recommend it for all ages, but would recommend backpacks for the toddlers. It's a lot of walking and can be slippery.

1  Thank Laura C
See more reviews
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Went on a tour with my son's 5th grade class today. The caverns are absolutely beautiful and very interesting to see. However, I was very disappointed with our tour guide. Her knowledge of the cavern and it's history was seriously lacking. She had little to no interaction with the children and seemed aloof and unconcerned about their questions....I hope to have a better guide next time.

2  Thank Twirlygurl
erin_nbc, Manager at Natural Bridge Caverns, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the Caverns and apologize that your tour guide was not up to par. We do expect our guides to be both friendly and knowledgeable and I am sorry that is not what you experienced. We will address the issue with our guides and I do hope you will visit us again in the future so we can provide a better experience.