“Great Service”

Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #167 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I was sitting in the lobby, waiting for the 3PM check in. Sandra (front desk) asked me if I was waiting for somebody. I told her no, I was waiting for 3PM so I could check in. She told me there were available rooms now. With a great smile, she checked me in at around 2:30 PM! I was impressed because early check in ( even just half an hour early) is an issue at many hotels. The room was somewhat small, but clean and quiet. I did not eat at the restaurant so I can't comment on that. There are nearby restaurants I went to. Sandra checked me out-again with a great smile.
The service at this hotel was great. I gave the hotel only 4 stars instead of 5 stars for 2 reasons:
1. There is a noticeable amount of trash in the back parking lot on the grass, in front of the barbed wire fence at the back.
2. I recently stayed at a Holiday Inn in Dallas where there was a great complimentary breakfast. There is no complimentary breakfast in this hotel. That needs to change.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the top floor and towards the back facing the back parking lot. I did and it is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Anonymous322

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a few days a few weeks ago (July 2013). The hotel is a little inconvenient to get to because of its location off of the Hwy 281 North traffic. A female attendant had a much more bubbly personalty than then men staff. The rooms were nice but a little cramped. Bad lighting in bathrooms (for women and make up application). We did have dirty towel with shoe prints on it? Don't know how staff could have NOT seen that when they hung it in our room. The refrigerator did not get too cold so don't expect to "chill" drinks in HOT Texas climate. Just keep going to ICE machine by elevators. In fact, I was worried the fridge was broken for the first day or two it stayed so warm. I think our room temperature was colder than the fridge. This sucked for all the left overs we brought home while out vacationing. I found the front desk staff to be decent. I was really disappointed that at $100 plus a night there is no free buffet at this Holiday Inn nor even continental breakfast. There is over priced restaurant and staff there were not too friendly. I think they were used to no customers so it appeared that it kind of bothered their group social gathering at a back table when I placed my food order. There were mini stacked washer off elevator in small glassed room which I thought was neat and convenient. We didn't use it, but I constantly saw families in there while waiting for elevator.

Room Tip: Don't come if you have family and are used to utilizing Holiday Inn's free breakfast to defr...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The troubling part about poor hotel service and the poor quality we experienced with this hotel, is that no matter the experience, the hotel will still continue to move on in its ways, so my review is merely my tiny way of informing even just one person about the quality of this hotel. First- the hotel is difficult to get to because you are fighting horrible 281 North traffic (and it does not matter what day, weekend, or time- this hotel is right in the middle of construction and thus congestion). I come from a town riddled with traffic, so its nothing new to me, but a huge inconvenience that I want to point out nonetheless and if the hotel was even half way decent, I might even say that fighting the traffic and having to go very out of your way to get back to the hotel was worth it, but sadly, it was not.

Additionally, there was no one at the front desk when we arrived for check in. There was poor communication among the hotel staff because no one knew who could check us in, or what we needed to do so we wound up waiting around in the lobby for over 20 minutes before someone with a clue even showed up. When that staff member finally did show up, there were no apologies, no "thank you for waiting", just a curt "what can I do for you" and then another 20 minute wait to check us in. From the moment we arrived we felt as if we were inconveniencing the hotel staff. The room is of very poor quality, the colors are all black and grey and did not inspire the most clean and sanitary feelings in my mind. We only stayed one night and the next morning we were visited three times by the cleaning staff asking if we were ready to leave so they could clean our room...it was a full 3 hours BEFORE check out!

At check out we learned that my sweet parents had already paid for our room and settled up the bill downstairs but the hotel still charged us the room fee and had it not been for my husband double checking that we were all squared away, we would not have found out until much later that our room had been paid for twice. In my opinion that was VERY poor customer service. I'd like to say that it was due to a change in staff and maybe miscommunication from the staffer leaving and the one arriving, but it was the same staff member who we encountered the night before who was working the desk early in the morning and at the time we left at noon. When my husband tried to get the front desk clerk to refund the room fee to our credit card because the room had already been paid, the clerk gave my husband a very hard time.

This hotel is not worth the $100/night fee. I have stayed at many many better, customer oriented, and cleaner hotels for that cost. This particular location really gives the "Holiday Inn" name a very bad reputation in my book.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels HAVE GOT to be better than this.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
gmredland, Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences that you encountered while staying with us. I take these comments very seriously and I will address them with my staff. Please allow us another chance to show you how pleasant your stay should be. Thank you for your comments and we are always striving for improvement.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Went to Texas for a family reunion, The rooms are nice. The carpet is a deep rich color. The beds are okay in the comfy zone. The pool is small. The food for the family banquet was good. The restaurant breakfast food was also good. I would get a rental car. It's close to many things like six flags, the Alamo, and other San Antonio attractions

• Stayed: July 2013

We are so pleased that you enjoyed our hotel, thank you very much for staying with us and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

we spent one night here and we will be going back .we visit our kids and grandkids in san Antonio once or twice a month this will likely be home base for us from now on. friendly courteous staff clean pool are and room. only draw back no free breakfast not a problem for us.

Room Tip: only tip I can give you is try it you will like it
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we pride ourselves in making our guest happy and comfortable. It is wonderful to hear positive comments about our staff and hotel; we hope you think of us on your next trip to San Antonio!

Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn North on Redland Road again based on my great experience the first time. Unfortunately, my experience wasn’t as good, but still turned out okay. My biggest disappointment was that there was no one at the desk to check me in when I arrived. I actually ended up sitting in the lobby to wait.

The road construction is finished close to the hotel, which made the traffic much more tolerable this trip. Just don’t miss the exit or you’ll add in a nice distance before you can loop back.

My room was just fine. This hotel has very nice design, and is different than most Holiday Inns. It is interesting that with such contemporary decor there is only a small shower/tub combo which only has a soap dish low on the wall for those taking baths. Almost always there is some sort of soap or shampoo shelf higher up for showers.

I still like this property, but may consider the other Holiday Inn on University next time based on my check-in experience. We’ll see.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
gmredland, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

First of all I would like to apologize for your stay not being up to our standards. This is something that I will address with my staff and it is unacceptable. We are thrilled that out of all the hotels in San Antonio you chose us, and I am sorry that was not expressed to you. Please allow us the opportunity to have you be our guest again, so you can feel the real Holiday Inn experience!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed for about a week for business conference. The rooms are adequate, with a nice standard if cleanliness. Desk helpful; they were able to connect us to several restaurants, and even get us to the Riverwalk. Food service during the conference portion was ok, adequate but nothing stunning.

Internet connectivity was very hit or miss; could use another server as it was near impossible to get on in the evenings. I gave up and just used the 3G on my phone. Also the hotel didn't give any amenities (newspapers even) for Priority Club elites - fail. Expected at least an acknowledgement and newspaper and they totally missed it. Not just one day but every one of the stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Chrssher,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding internet connectivity and Priority Club perks. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.