“Disappointing Stay”

Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #168 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I previously stayed at this hotel during 2011 and was quite pleased with my stay. However, during a recent stay at the Hotel, I was not satisfied at all with my stay. I checked in on March 22, 2012 along with my husband and two kids. The following day, we left the room at around 11:20 a.m. At the time we left the room, we removed the do not disturb sign and on our way out we encountered the cleaning crew who were working on the rooms adjacent to ours. We said good morning and went on our way. When we returned to the room at around 5:30 p.m., the first thing that we noticed was that no one had cleaned the room. As a result, I called the front desk and inquired as to why the room had not been cleaned. I was asked if the do not disturb sign was on the door. I replied to the lady that the sign was on early in the morning but we took it off before we left, which was at around 11:20 a.m. The lady replied that it was common practice for the facility not to clean rooms when the do not disturb sign was on. She also mentioned that the room would not be cleaned since the cleaning crew had already left for they day. The only thing that she offered was to send someone with towels. Fifteen minutes later, a lady came to the room and brought in towels and toiletries. She also emptied out the trash. I have stayed at many hotels (from 2 stars to 5 stars) throughout the U.S., Mexico, Europe and Northern Africa and have never encountered this type of problem "ever". It is unacceptable for a hotel to skip such an essential part of the hospitality industry as cleaning a room. All other places have the crew come back to clean or call the room to inquire if you want it cleaned. It just shows a lack of excellent customer service and laziness from the staff. There is no excuse: the do not disturb sign was removed, we left the room early and the cleaning crew saw us leave, so they knew the room was available to be cleaned. I am extremely disappointed in this hotel. Needless to say, I will not be recommending it to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank millenniumgirl_2000
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2012

Dear millenniumgirl_2000,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHG Care

Reviewed March 29, 2012

Stayed for two nights on business.
PROS:
New, clean, efficient.
Quiet (I had a room facing the parking lot on the 4th floor.)
Good value.
CONS:
Miles from anywhere (San Antonio has urban sprawl, and too few freeways.)
Commuting in the morning and evening from this hotel can take some time.
Walls seem thin....could hear the folks in the next room.
Noisy AC.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 2, 2012

This hotel is relatively new and very modern. It has a great restaurant and bar on the ground floor (so you don't have to leave for dinner), a relaxing swimming pool and very nice rooms. The staff is friendly, and the hill country location is beautiful, while also being close enough to San Antonio (or Fredericksburg to the north) to be convenient. I will definitely be returning to this hotel.

Room Tip: Top Floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Puma431
Reviewed February 27, 2012

I stayed at the Holiday inn on Redland Road in San Antonio last weekend with our high school athletic team and needless to say, the weather was terrible so we had to extend our trip. Dot and her staff took care of us right away and made sure that all the fine details were taken care of. The rooms were great and the value was fantastic. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Edna B
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is my 3rd (maybe 4th) time in San Antonio. I have been staying downtown (near the Riverwalk) the last couple of times, and the one thing I don't like about it is paying for parking. This time, I decided to stay a little farther away. This particular location is a little over 10 miles north of downtown San Antonio.

This is a wonderful hotel. It looks new, and the rooms and bathroom are nice. Especially for the price. And did I mention that the parking is free?

It's in a nice area with access to a lot of restaurants. There's also a mall nearby if that's your thing.

We went to visit the Alamo one day, and then the Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch the next day. The hotel's location is right in the middle, and is convenient to both attractions.

Breakfast is not free, but kids eat free (with a paying adult). The restaurant/breakfast room has a flat screen tv in every booth, good for keeping the kids entertained.

We had a great time at this Holiday Inn. Will most likely stay here again the next time we're in San Antonio.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Ewr01
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We got into this hotel rather late at night, but it was beautiful. Our room was very clean, very big too with lots of room.
The indoor pool area and exercise area were great!

Hubby had to pay $10 to eat breakfast the next morning. He said it wasn't all that great and the woman who was supposed to be taking care of the food was ignoring people and just standing there yapping with another staff member.

There is room service available.

I would stay here again, it was very clean, very nice, a bit upscale-ish for a Holiday Inn perhaps? :)

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn V
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This was my second stay at the Holiday Inn San Antonio North in San Antonio, Texas. The property has only been open for a few years, and still has that new hotel smell. It still has that new hotel attitude. I like it.

The staff were well trained and extremely cordial. The property is very nice, and is architecturally pleasing. Everything was clean and comfortable, and I had an excellent club sandwich at the hotel restaurant/bar. (Note: this is a Holiday Inn, not a Holiday Inn Express. Holiday Inn’s don’t typically offer free breakfast, and many don’t have breakfast buffets. This one doesn’t, just menu offerings. So don’t book here if you are expecting free cinnamon rolls.)

On this trip after dinner I went back to my room to relax and was serenaded by the (very loud) music wafting into my room from the building next door. It went on most of the evening. That was something I'd never encountered before. I wonder if I would have heard it if my room was on the other side of the hotel?

The single most wonderful invention ever in a hotel is in this one... the "constant fan" button. The room air conditioner/heater unit had a button that said constant fan. This feature should be standard in every hotel. The fact that I could choose a loud fan in this room completely blocked out the party next door. So, with the help of a lovely martini from the bar and the fan - I slept like a baby.

There is often a thorn on the rose though, and in this case it was the hotel’s location. Getting to this hotel requires some serious traffic, and if you miss it – too bad. You have to drive halfway to Austin before you can turn around. There is a back road I found, though, and if you follow it a ways there is a decent Mexican Restaurant as well as shops and fast food. I’m glad I found it because driving on the main road in is a huge problem in rush-hour traffic. I know it isn't the hotel’s fault about the traffic, but it does make a difference on where I choose to stay on business. Finding this escape route means I'll be back!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business