“HOLIDAY INN SAN ANTONIO NORTH-HILL COUNTRY”

Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #156 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“HOLIDAY INN SAN ANTONIO NORTH-HILL COUNTRY”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

The atmosphere was very fresh, clean, relaxed and professional. Very fast very reliable fast service.Ricky at the concierge desk... definitely adds a great touch of professionalism and friendliness. The furniture and decor is very modern yet still inviting and this attitude is aided by the great service of Ricky when you come in. The Hotel is very ADA accessible but after such a long trip I was just to tired to put my clothes in the dryer so I asked Elena in housekeeping to help me. I did not realize it was just before 5 pm, which was when she was supposed to get off since I travel about 15 days a month, this was my third hotel in less than 6 days so my sense of time was off. She stayed till way after five to make sure my laundry got was done. Then, I was in the business office and didn't realize my laundry had finished but wasn't dry. They took my laundry to their own dryers and free of charge Ricky ensured that my laundry was not only completed but also folded and brought to my room. I was amazed. Then After all of the great service so far, I went to have a hamburger and the restaurant and Victoria was again a great representation of professionalism. She knew what to recommend on the menu, and the food was fantastic and again even though it was past time for Victoria to leave she stayed around until I had finished my meal. The hotel as a building is fantastic but individuals such as Ricky, Elena and Victoria made this a definite top 5 hotels of all time I have stayed at. OH, I almost forgot, the ADA room I had my favorite type of shower and was super easy and so accessible. The bed was great and everything was gorgeous and it would have earned a top score anyways but the staff just made it that much better.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank robroddy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
east coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Very convenient hotel, right off 281, & about 15 minutes north of the airport. Almost new place with wonderful indoor pool, hot tub, and in house restaurant (moderately priced) and bar. We were with family and had a lovely time. Room has frig and microwave. It is also 5 minutes from the largest grocery store around. Staff is super nice, friendly, and accommodating, with good advice about the local area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank afirsttimer
Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had some minor issues and one deal breaker - Front Desk staff did not smile or make eye contact at check-in, stung by fire ants at the entrance, restaurant waitress kept rushing us at breakfast though the restaurant was empty (she brought the check at the same time as our food - was tacky) and the front desk agent tried to check us out on the wrong room (we were staying on reward points, so you can imagine my horrific surprise when she tried to charge us full price). But the reason we won't be back is the mattress. Maybe we had a different bed from everyone else since the reviews are so high... but our mattress was unforgiving and hard. So much that it felt like sleeping on a table. We did not get any sleep because of how uncomfortable that horrible mattress was!

On a positive note, this hotel is EXTREMELY clean! And I loved that! I also loved that smoking and pets are not allowed and heavy fines are given for those who breach these rules. But the bed being so uncomfortable made it impossible to get a good night's sleep.

It's important to note - I am a Priority member and love HI. We also are very quiet people and did not make any complaints. Just made a mental note of our experience and moved on. And we won't be back.

Hope this review helps someone else.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QuinnW17
San Angelo, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

Although our trip was for medical purposes, the extremely polite and professional service we received from the front office manager to the restaurant staff as well as the housekeeping personnel, made our stay even more relaxing and comfortable.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank sprousehouse
El Paso
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Eat at the hotel restaurant. The food is nutritious, service good, and price fair. I don’t know who put together the menu or what chef is cooking in back, but I highly recommend eating in the hotel versus driving to another restaurant. Meals are offered with fruit and plenty of vegetables versus the typical greasy options. The restaurant atmosphere is nice and some booths at TVs to watch a game or have kids see cartoons.

The hotel rooms are standard, yet clean and well decorated. Our air-conditioner worked well, which is a must in the Texas summer. Housekeeping did forget, however, to empty the ice bucket and refill the in-room coffee. The beds were very comfortable.

We purchased some late night snacks from the small snack shop and found the prices fair and food fresh.

The front desk staff person was nice, but seemed a busy. There was only one person at the front each time I went to the desk.

The indoor pool was nice and we enjoyed our short time at the hot tub. The kids made a few friends while swimming.

While the location is a bit odd, I’d recommend this Holiday Inn to friends and family. This hotel is a real value I think.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phanstern
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

This is a 3* hotel, 3* price. That said, yes, this is a new hotel (1 year old). However, please note it is a Holiday Inn; NOT Holiday Inn Express. So forget your ideas about HIE -- free breakfast buffet. This is a new class of HI... their so-called "new generation" of hotel with an indoor pool and an in-house restaurant. HI's attempt at "upscale" it would seem.

The hotel is definitely fresh, clean, tidy -- all of the basic things one expects for in a hotel. Beds are comfortable, soft linens. Choice of pillows is nice (though more than four TINY pillows on a King-size would make more sense). Flat screen TVs in room and throughout hotel (including in restaurant), but seems like all hotels have these now.

The worst part of this hotel: location, location, location. Arriving on 281 South, we had to exit 281 @ 1604, go down 2 lights, make a U-turn, get back on 281 (and into the horrible afternoon traffic), and exit again to get to the hotel we had passed about 15-20 minutes earlier. Access is just ridiculous. You must repeat this process anytime you want to leave or return. Just plain silly, very poorly thought out. For this reason alone we will not stay here again.

Bathrooms are basic, but are new and clean. Decent marble shower & matching vanity. Water pressure during our visit seemed low especially in the sink. Had to flush the toilet twice to get TP to go down. Shower was okay, one of those nicer showerheads, ok pressure (could get the soap out of my hair). Bathroom has standard finishes, is a bit tight on space, but is workable. Plenty of towels. Poor lighting in the bathroom for doing hair and/or make-up. I ended up at the desk by the window to have enough light to see to do my make-up. Has one of those tiny pretend hairdryers on the wall.

Room has a small microwave, coffee making set up and a small in-room fridge.

Ah, the view: 281 highway traffic, houses for miles and the backside of a strip mall. Not much. From the back of the hotel I think it's worse: just a view of the parking lot and dirt. But at these prices, I guess a view is not to be expected.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. Easy check-in. Nice lobby area.

We were VERY surprised to find out there was NO breakfast buffet, but now I know to watch MUCH more closely when booking. There is in fact a difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express (and not just the price). They have what they are calling a "restaurant" instead. It's very quite small and quickly becomes noisy (add several families with squaling kids and a few groups of execs yukking it up on their cell phones). Service here was ok. Food was nothing special, rather bland. Typical Holiday Inn breakfast buffett type food -- however, at the rate of an $8.00 minimum (oh and don't forget to add $2.00+ for any beverage, side order). Your $8.00 breakfast is quickly heading to a $15.00 breakfast. At Holiday Inn?? Uh, I think not. This is not a "bistro like restaurant" (as hyped in HI's relaunch material for their "next generation" of prototype hotels). I ordered the egg, bacon and cheese croissant. I got a plate with 2 hugh croissants and a giant pile of potatoes, enough for at least 2 really hungry people. I could only eat 1/2 a croissant, the rest I got to go (lunch later?). Some smaller portion choices would be nice. I'm not a truck driver and I don't need enough food to last me until 6 p.m. Judging from the restaurant set up and prices, this is about making money, not meeting customer needs. Unfortunate. This is reason #2 will not return. There are too many other options in decent locations that INCLUDE breakfast.

The walls seem a bit thin. We could hear people in the hallways; kids running up and down the halls screaming last night, and can hear the cleaning people outside in the hall when present. Moderate noise from overhead (again kids, people stomping/walking, housecleaning staff). Once you are in for the night and the kids settle down, it was relatively quiet.

The biggest in-room issue however is the air conditioning unit. It is LOUD. When it cycles on and off, there is a big clonk sound. Very annoying. It woke me up more than once. I finally set it on auto and adjusted the air so it would not cycle on and off constantly. It is still very loud though. For a brand-new hotel, the AC units seem archaic. There is no wall thermostat. This are the old-type of in the wall units popular 15-20 years ago. Surprising given that this is a new property.

PROS:
1) New facility (1 year old). Clean, fresh, well maintained.
a) Soft linens.
b) Okay bathrooms.
c) In-room microwave, coffee maker, fridge.
2) Friendly staff.
3) Smallish indoor pool with hot tub.
4) Respectible room size, moderately well appointed.

CONS:
1) LOCATION!!! An annoyance to SEE your hotel and have to go thru 20 more minutes of traffic and U-turns to get BACK to it on the other side of the highway. Very poorly considered location with bad access issues.

2) No breakfast buffet. $20+ for breakfast for two? A captive audience may feel obliged to pay this since there is nothing within walking distance (that I can see), but there are too many other hotels that offer inclusive breakfast -- and too many other dining options in general (especially if you have a car). I expect this at a higher level hotel (4*+), but not at a basic Holiday Inn. If you want breakfast included, stay elsewhere or pay the $20 upcharge on your HI room rate.

3) Very noisy AC unit in room. Old-fashioned in window/wall type unit that clonks on and off and is very loud and irritating. I don't get why HI would build a new facility and put old AC units in. Crazy.

Value for money: 4/5 (clean room with good bed, shower, nice linens for fair price).
Location: 3/5, depending on where you want to be in SA, but consider access issues described above before booking.
Food: 3/5, Meh! I think not. HI restaurant food was edible, but overpriced and bland. Room service is available with the usual service charges added.
Pool: 3/5 Small, but definite plus if you don't mind the noise and kids.

Stay here again: No.
a) Poor/complicated access from highway.
b) AC noise
c) No traditional HI breakfast buffet.
d) All other issues above.

Room Tip: Consider location OUTSIDE Loop 1604 @ 281. Get a top level room to avoid noise.