“Your vehicle might get broken into on the hotel parking lot”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio SeaWorldR/Lackland
Ranked #130 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My husband and I are “Premier” Marriott credit card holders and have been loyal Marriott Rewards members for the last 12 years. We stayed at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott near San Antonio’s Sea World this week. On the 2-nd night of our stay our car was broken into. Our vehicle was parked directly under a parking lot light and a security camera was trained onto the car. The passenger window was shattered; electronics, several prescription glasses/sunglasses and other things worth around $2,000 was stolen. A spare tire was stolen from another guest's rental car the same night.
The hotel receptionist called the police and paid for a cab to take me to work while my husband dealt with the police, auto insurance company and waited to meet with the front office manager. A clerk at the front desk showed my husband the view via parking lot camera of our car and revealed that the theft should be recorded. The manager arrived at around noon-time and assured my husband that he would contact police and review the video.
Several hours later we checked with the manager on the status. He said that the police were notified but he had not had time to review the recording. When my husband asked why he had not reviewed the recording, the hotel manager said that he had other things to do. My husband asked what could be more important than theft that two of his customers experienced. The recording could help to identify the burglars and his procrastination and lack of concern was giving the thieves time to sell/trade the stolen items. My husband asked if he could view the recording and the manager stated he could not allow anyone else to see it since it was hotel property. “So, the customers’ welfare and security are not an essential or important part of the business?” My husband called to the Marriott customer service and corporate services and he was treated even worse. It does not seem that it's in hotel interests to stop the crime and help their customers to recover losses. A friend asked us if we had considered the possibility of hotel involvement since the manager refused to let us see the recording. We have no evidence of this but it is a curious matter to us why the manager refuses to view the recording or to let us view it. We made a follow-up call to San Antonio police department to inquire about the investigation of our case and to ask if they had viewed the recording but have not heard from them either.
We stayed there one more night but were never contacted by the management again. I left our contact number with the front desk associate and asked the clerk to let the manager know that we would like to get updates on the incident but we have never heard back. We came home and next morning I received an E-mail from the hotel general manager stating, “It’s our goal to exceed your expectations and make you feel part of our family as you may be away from yours… We want no more than to WOW you, and it is my sincere hope that we have done so!”
Guess what? They did not even come close to our expectations and the Marriott lost some loyal customers and credit card holders.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank lvw24

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I enjoyed my recent stay in early September. Me and my family went for Labor Day Weekend. It was 25 of us, we had 5 guest rooms. Plenty of children. The breakfast was great. Sunday morning, I asked for the conference room and we were able to have church before we went to see the sights. This place is a gem, Uber-clean. I haven't been in the summer yet, only in the early fall so I don't know about the noise level but we had a grand time. Each room was great and we appreciated the high level of customer service. This place rocks....

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the double room, it has a sofa bed. Each room could sleep six comfortably.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were recommended to this hotel by a friend, and I would recommend it to you! It was nice and clean very modern, but simple. The rooms were great...we were in the Two Queens with the sleeper couch and it was a perfect size. We have three kids and most rooms are cramped with that many, but this was great. The room is laid out like what I imagine New York apartments to be like--pocket doors with separate shower and toilet areas. Overall, we were very pleased. It was right off the freeway, close to lots of dining, and of course ...Sea World. Nice indoor pool, workout area, and breakfast, too! But I have to sat the best part was the SHEETS! I have to admit, I came home and tried to buy a set. Clean & Crisp, yet soft!

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is new and very nice. The staff is friendly and helpful. We stayed for 3 nights and after breakfast the first morning we went to a restaurant for breakfast. We are big breakfast people and the hot breakfast that is served is ok. Hard scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffles and breakfast breads. Everything is served on plastic. I don't like plastic plates and cups. There was one day when our room was not cleaned properly, but the other days it was cleaned very well. We used the shuttle service the hotel offers to Sea World. Going to Sea World in the morning was great. Coming home was a disaster. They need a system. We called at 8:30pm for a pick up and gave our name and room number. When we saw the shuttle we walked over to get on and a group of 9 people pushed in front of us. I asked if they had called the hotel and asked for a pick up and they said no, it is first come, first served. The shuttle bus driver did not say anything. He was very nice when we came back and did not let another groups do the same thing again, but there needs to be a way for the hotel to know who called to book a return and pick up those that called first. As it turned out, 6 of the people that pushed in front of us were not even staying at our hotel. I would recommend staying here though. The rooms are comfortable and the staff is great.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were visiting San Antonio for my son's basic training graduation. This was the perfect choice for accomadations. Our rooms were big !! Everything was so clean!! The breakfast was a great perk and the shuttle service was awesome. They were very accommodating to all of our needs. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to meet all our needs. On our last day we went to the Riverwalk with our son and upon returning to the hotel to retrieve our luggage, we were concerned about time. We needed to get to the airport and our son needed to get back to base. They were great!! They took him back to the base!! We appreciate all they did for us. I would definitely stay here again.

2  Thank Conray
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Booked our 4 day stay because of a great stay at the same chain in Boise, ID years ago. We arrived to a nice looking hotel. Lobby had some over-scented aroma that my husband said, "Smells like they spilled a lot of Fabreeze." Very unpleasant--but did eventually fade to a reasonable level. Very modern looking and completely different than the hotel in Boise.

--Location
Close to Lackland Valley View gate. 15 min from airport and about 20-25 from Riverwalk.

--Room
very thin walls. Had one night of sound problems from the room above--the hotel staff took care of in a reasonable amount of time. You could hear very loud toilet flushing sounds from rooms next door. Maid service late afternoon. Uncomfortable hide-a-bed.
--Bathroom
No bathtub. Bathroom split into 2 separate rooms with frosted glass doors.There were some maintenance issues, large cracks in tile floor, big scratch in center of bathroom mirror, stains on the carpet, our door needed some adjusting--would catch and be difficult to open at times. burned out light next to our door never taken care of.
--breakfast
1 waffle maker that had a long line whenever we were at breakfast. Very, very slow toasters. Food selection was fine. Hot and cold options.
--pool
very small and indoor, no hot tub. Not that you would want one in the hot weather here.

I have mixed feelings about our stay. On one hand it was a nice hotel--on the other the issues we experienced above.

Room Tip: get a room on the top floor to keep the noise level to a minimum. Go to breakfast early.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mbberg8066
Reviewed July 14, 2012

My family and I just returned from a week (7/8-7/14) at SpringHill Suites, San Antonio SeaWorld/Lackland! We had the 2 queen suite, which was plenty big enough for 2 adults and our two girls, 13 & 11. There were 1 1/2 baths, which were separated. A fridge & microwave in the room, as well as a sofabed & desk/work area. Like I said it was plenty big for us! The hotel & room were very clean! Housekeeping came in everyday to clean and make the beds. We always came in/out from the side door, so not too much interaction with the front desk, but they were very helpful when we did need anything, which was only shampoo! Breakfast was good & plenty, was very busy on some mornings, especially on Saturdays (beware), They had an indoor pool, but we never used it.

We enjoyed our stay there! It was in a great location, very close to SeaWorld, and easy to get around! WalMart & everything else you will need is right next to the hotel, which was great! My husband was amazed that it was as nice as it was! Always clean, and everything you would need, and didn't cost as much as some of the BIG named hotels around!

We will definitely stay at SpringHill Suites S.A. SeaWorld again!!! Thanks for a great week!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family