“"OK" for a 1 night stay for a quick trip to Sea World. (2.5 "STARS")”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio SeaWorld/Lackland
Ranked #138 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We have annual passes to Sea World and decided to take a quick trip this past weekend. I looked around for hotels in close proximity to Sea World and there aren't really many to choose from. In fact, there really isn't much of anything in that whole area. But anyway, I was able to get a decent rate at this property and selected it over a newer Holiday Inn that is even closer to Sea World because the Holiday Inn had many reviews complaining of auto-burglary.

About an hour out of San Antonio we called the hotel to confirm our reservation and ask if we could check in late (we decided to go straight to the park). The font desk confirmed the reservation and said he would make a note on the reservation.

After a long day at the park we headed to the hotel to check in. It's in a decent location but a little tricky to get to when coming FROM Sea World. Though there are probably better ways than our GPS took us.

When we checked in the front desk clerk told me that he had to give up our Double Queen room. This makes no sense to me. 1) I had a reservation. 2). I called to confirm 3) I asked for late check in which was confirmed for about 630-700 (we were there at 645 4) They had my phone number on file and could have called to inform me of this long before i arrived. So, my face was visibly unhappy and the young desk clerk was not pleased to be left to be the bearer of the bad news. I asked what my options were and he said he THOUGHT he could put me in a double double (which in our experience doesn't make for a happy family) but definitely could put me in a king "suite". I am guessing the dbl dbl would have been pulled from someone else's reservation but it was too small anyway, so I asked about the King and he told me that there was a pullout couch. I said well if someone is sleeping on a pullout couch, I am going to need a discount. He called his manager and they discounted the room by $30. This was an excellent recovery but I think they could have been PRACTIVE and called me prior or offered me a discount without me having to ask.

On to the property. It was fairly full I'd say. Lot's of families.

The lobby was clean and orderly but I think there should have been more than 1 person on staff.

The room was clean but not spotless. There was a, eh hem, "hair" left in the shower. The bathroom tile must not have been super clean as it blackened the white bath mat/towel we placed on the floor. The bathroom is actually 2 rooms. A small "potty" room with a sink and a slightly larger room with a shower (no tub) and a sink. Not having a tub was a HUGE hassle with two little ones. My wife says had she known that before I checked in we would have gone elsewhere. Neither bathroom has a vent and so the shower room smells "stale" -- perhaps mildewy.

The bed was clean but nothing to write home about. The couch was nice but the pullout portion was not, at all. Way too thin of a mattress. So, for space's sake I slept on the couch and let my wife and kids have the king bed. There were no sheets for the pullout in the room. I had to go downstairs and get them. I also had to go downstairs to get the extra towels and pillows we requested when we made the reservation online. I guess whoever got our room got those as well.

There were 2 disturbing notes it the room. 1) Stating that the San Antonio Police Dept suggests not leaving anything of value in the car. While this is a good general rule to follow in any city it is clear that San Antonio is having trouble with criminals praying on travelers. 2) was from the hotel suggesting that you not order from any pizza parlor that leaves a flyer under the door as they have been known to have poor service and require a credit card when ordering and then may not bring your food.

The King bed and the couch are separated by a partition/desk area that is a decent workspace but blocks the A/C from reaching that side of the room where the thermostat is. So, for me to be comfortable my wife and kids would have froze as the bed is RIGHT NEXT TO the A/C unit. In the end I was warmer than desired.

The TV was OK but no station guide to be found and the picture flat out stunk on several channels.

The free WI-FI was fast and easy to "setup".

We took a quick trip down to the pool. It was small and indoors. The chlorine/chemical fumes were intoxicating. They need more ventilation in there. There was not one towel to be found. I had to go back to the overworked front desk clerk for some. The floor of the pool room was glazed tiles and absolutely covered with water. Not smart, at all. The water was a little cloudy and so we didn't feel the pool was clean and didn't stay long. The pool also has these odd shower like jets coming from the ceiling over the shallow end, making the pool almost useless for little ones. Disappointing overall. Why a pool is indoors in SAN ANTONIO, TX is beyond me.

The room included a breakfast buffet. Breads, fruit, yogurt, muffins, cereals, juices, coffee, ham, sausage, eggs, waffles. The food was OK, at best. The place was crowded and the staff had a hard time keeping the bar stocked and clean. My wife said the waffles were tasteless. I would not have paid extra for this breakfast. That is for sure.

Overall, since it was a one night stay it was OK. Had I been going for 3 or more nights I think I would have checked out after the first and gone elsewhere. If TripAvdisor offered a 2.5 star option, I'd have chosen that as we feel the hotel was poor in some areas and average in others.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 2, 2011

I definately recommend this hotel to anyone attending a BMT graduation @ lackland. They have a pool, a pretty good free breakfast, and a computer for guests to use. If i'm ever in San Antonio again I will def. stay here again!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Kathleen J
ttribby, Owner at SpringHill Suites San Antonio SeaWorld/Lackland, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2011

Thank you for your review of the Springhill Suites! It is always nice to hear when we are doing a good job. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you on your next visit!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stayed here July 20th for 5 nights for our son's graduation from BMT@Lackland AF Base. Close location to the base with plenty of restaurants close by. Every thing went well until we discovered that someone went thru our bags and stole my wife's diamond cross. Reported it to the hotel/San Antonio police and Marriott Corporate Office. Very disappointed that this would happen at a Marriott hotel. And to think the military uses this hotel. This only goes to show that there are low lifes no matter where you go. May the person who took it die a slow death!

2  Thank upset57

Thank you for your review of the Springhill Suites. Congratulations to you and your son on his graduation. We strive to provide all of our guests with excellent customer service, especially our military guests and family. It is unfortunate that your wife's cross went missing. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to San Antonio!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Upon our arrival, the hotel seemed nice, but the longer we were there the more things we noticed that we were unhappy with. First off the door to the bathroom where the shower was, the lock was broken. The closet in our room smelled like mildew. Due to the sliding design on the bathroom door and the steam from the shower there was mold on the wall by the bathroom you could only see when the bathroom door was closed. Our first night the kids wanted to swim in the pool, boy was this a dissappointment. The pool is indoors which is nice but that is about the only thing. It is very tiny for the size of the hotel and the fact the hotel is constantly full. Not only is it to small, it was very noticeably GREEN and the chlorine smell was so strong it burned your eyes while sitting by the pool. There were not any clean dry towels in the pool area either, just an empty rack. Another issue was that house keeping neglected to change the bedding as they should, I know this because, the first night my daughter got a bit of chocolate on top of one of the bed covers and the next day not only was the chocolate still there but it had been hidden by the decorative cover. The third day our sheets were finally changed, must have changed housekeepers because everything was clean, neat and fresh. Also, at one point we requested extra towels, which 2.5 hrs later we still hadnt received so we had to call and request them again. Finally about another half an hour we received them....speaking of towels there are no towel racks in the bathroom only small hook that barley holds one towel. The breakfast was pretty good for continiental, they had a pretty good variety of things and it was well stocked but it does get very busy down there early on. The beds were fairly comfortable and it was nice to have the couch with the additional pullout bed for the extra room. Lastly, this hotel is to close to 410 loop. Initially I thought it would be good because close to Sea World but its hard to get in and out of because the off ramp is literally right there. It is close to sea world, about 3 miles but far from everything else. It took us anywhere from 15 - 30 minutes to go to the other places we wanted (like downtown to museums) if there wasn't traffic issues. So, to sum up our stay...personally our family will not be staying there again, to many little inconviences and unhappy issues.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
ttribby, Owner at SpringHill Suites San Antonio SeaWorld/Lackland, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our SpringHill Suites hotel. We appreciate all feedback and use it to better our hotel for our guests. It is unfortunate that you experienced issues and you did not enjoy your stay. We are looking into the issues you stated and hope to improve on how the hotel is run. Hopefully you will reconsider and give us another chance to wow you on your next visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We selected this hotel because of the Marriott name and usual quality. The location met our needs and the price was higher than we hoped but seemed fair for location. Unfortunately the hotel was a major disappointment. The housekeepign staff was rude, could or would not communciate with guests. It went from no towels, to absolutely filthy floors and hallways. The stairwells are a mess. The breakfast was a battle ground to get food becuase of the crowds and insufficient food, though the staff was trying. The only pleasant part was the front desk staff who were pleasant but not knowlegable of local eateries. Just not really Marriott quality, should not have that franchise in my mind.

4  Thank gvcolby

Thank you for your honest review of our SpringHill Suites hotel. We appreciate all feedback and use it to better our hotel for our guests. It is disappointing to hear that we did not live up to your expectations of a Marriott hotel. Obviously that is not the impression we want to leave on our guests. Hopefully you will give us another chance to change your mind about our hotel. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to San Antonio!

Reviewed July 26, 2011

We were originally booked for one night here and booked for 3 nights at the Residence Inn, Lackland/Seaworld. Upon arrival I asked if any rooms had been released (as we had 3 rooms booked) and was told that they could accomodate us all 4 nights. Needless to say we were very pleased and the rooms were all very close together which made it very convenient.

The hotel itself looked clean and the rooms on the first night were cleaned. However, the next morning we received a check out bill and I had to go to the front desk to care of this not only the 2nd morning but every morning. There was little to no staff available every day. The person who put breakfast out was also the same one running the front desk. One morning my husband purchased a beverage and had to leave a note asking them to charge it to the room there was no one available to pay for at least 20 minutes.
Housekeeping did not make the bed or clean the room 2 different days we were there which honestly is okay if you at least leave clean towels. I don't mind using the same bath towel more than one day but I won't use the same wash cloth more than once. I clean from the top down and I'm not using that day two!!!!!!!!!
When the room was cleaned there were alot of long black and short black hair on everything including the toilet.
Management please, please, please, ask your housekeeping staff to use hair nets. I too have long hair and I know I shed ALOT!!!! It would be appropriate to require housekeeping to wear hair nets. When furnishing the rooms with clean towels and washcloths, please add enough wash clothes to each room. All of our rooms had 2 queen beds and were left 2 washclothes. Please ASSUME there will be at least 4 person's to a room with 2 queen beds.

We are Marriott Gold Members we only stay at Marriotts and I would really like to see this one get more staff and put less chlorine in the pool and it would be a very nice hotel.

On the upside, this hotel is perfect for Air Force Graduations and vacations at Seaworld. You are very close to both, we spent alot of time at Lackland and Seaworld and the location is great! There are alot of restaurants and a Wal Mart and Target very close to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review in regards to the SpringHill Suites. We appreciate your feedback and hope to use it to improve how the hotel is run. The cleanliness and staffing issues are the most disconcerting and will definitely be looked into. We don't want any of our guests to leave with a bad impression of our hotel and hope that you will give us another chance to wow you on your next visit to San Antonio.

Reviewed July 25, 2011

Recently stayed here while attending my son's graduation from Air Force BMT. Located off I-410, the property is very convenient to the base; with moderate traffic, it was a 10-15 min drive to Hi Valley Gate. The accommodations, service, etc. were similar to other Springhill Suites in the Marriott family. The one complaint we had about the property was the design of our room (do not know if all rooms are alike). The toilet was in a wholly different space than the shower space. Also, the doors to the toilet room and shower room were glass, so early in the morning the light from either toilet/shower room would shine into the primary room disturbing those still trying to sleep. That item would not be a problem for a business traveler; could be a problem for a family.

1  Thank bassra

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our SpringHill Suites hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed our stay and the convenience to Lackland AFB. It is important to us to provide our guests, especially our military and their families, with excellent customer service. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to San Antonio!