“Can't believe this is a Comfort Suites Very disappointing.”

Comfort Suites Medical Center near Six Flags
Ranked #177 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Let me say the last 2 years our family have become great fans of Comfort Suites.. BUT this was the worst experience.. We chose this hotel to be close to Six flags and for the indoor pool. Upon checking in I could tell right away this would be a rough experience. Bad luck on our side was a volleyball team of young people were booked that was just the start of a bad experience. The pool area was very HOT!! at least 100 degrees in there, the water was cloudy, and very small. I don't know where these people came from that stayed here but it was just awful, as if a local jail opened there doors for everyone to go to Comfort Suites, and that is saying it nicely. I am not trying to be mean but it was just swarmed with gangsters it look like. On top of that I get a random phone call to my room no one announcing who they are but screaming at me asking if we were making noise in our room, mind you I was on the 3rd floor with the entire floor being booked with this volleyball team, they were extremely loud. Our bad luck we were in a room right next to a room of what sounded like 50 people, college frat party. I had to call the front desk 3 times begging them to please control the noise and the "party" did not quiet down until around 4 a.m. Yes 4 a.m.... I could hear there party clearly.. There walls must be paper thin. The front desk did not even apologize for inconvenience or try to get it under control. I was very disappointed with the staff and just overall feeling of the hotel.Breakfast was very basic not like the other Comfort Suites we stayed at. The bagels were not put out we had to ask to have one, the sausage was not out,yet we seen the ladies serving it to certain guests only. Toaster was broken, it was just all run down... Very low class and for the price I should of paid 20 dollars more to stay at a Marriott.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Scott V, General Manager at Comfort Suites Medical Center near Six Flags, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2013

Thank you for your most recent stay and the feedback you provided. I will review with the Front Desk so the issues you experienced will be address to ensure other guests enjoy their stay regardless if the hotel is occupied by individual guest or groups. In regards to the pool area, our Engineer is working with our local pool supplier and our HVAC provider to address the clarity of the pool and the temperature in the pool area. Per our Choice Hotels standards we have a variety of options when it comes to our breakfast offerings and while we do have bagels we rotate between bagels, english muffins and toast to ensure our guest have a variety of breakfast offerings for multiple night stays. We appreciate your stay and invite you back in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Stayed at this property for business trip, 4 nights. Good location for the NW area of San Antonio - close to Six Flags and La Cantera, close to shopping and restuarants (not really walking distance). Worth the rate of $67/night. Hotel is well kept and clean - seemingly secure; staff was friendly and attentive. Room was large and comfortable - loved having the extra sitting area and always appreciate a micro-fridge. Beds were comfortable but not plush - which is good on a business trip (saves over-sleeping). Fairly quiet - did have an issue late one night with some teens in the hallway but front desk resolved that problem. Bath ammenities were on par for this style chain, nothing fancy. Towels were gray, and again, average. Breakfast bar was okay, it was nice having warm scrambled eggs. It also offered sausage/sausage-gravy, yogurt, small pastries, toast, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, coffee, juice, and waffles.

All-in-all the hotel was exactly what I expected...WOULD stay again, but would also check out a few nearby places to see what they offer in comparison.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face main parking lot and I10, ice machines on 1st and 3rd floors...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed here with my wife and about 15 family members this last week. We had about 7 rooms. The hotel receives the rating of #17 in all of San Antonio. This is surprising and leads me to believe San Antonio is lacking in the hotel world. As soon as we arrived at 11pm they had no record of our name or reservation. They said the hotel was full with a band group and it was looking like we were out of luck. Thankfully after a few phone calls it was discovered we had already been checked in to our hotel room....They gave us a room key and when we went to open the door it was the door of my mother in law who was already sleeping. Oops. They then gave us the correct key and we finally got our room. The continental breakfast was exactly what you expect from a hotel, nothing more nothing less. Mass-produced eggs, waffles, cereal, yogurt, juice, coffee.....

The next night we all decided to try out the hot tub. The closing time was 10pm but the front desk was gracious enough to let us use it after hours as we were late getting back from wedding rehearsals. The hot tub was......well let's just say I refused to get in (and i've jumped into some pretty sketchy Texas rivers...). The water was a dark shade of urine yellow and the people sitting in the hot tub disappeared in the cloud of.....whatever that was. The next morning we could not figure out the awful stench coming from our room. Any guesses? Swimsuits. I can tell you right now swimsuits should have a hint of chlorine but the stench was overwhelming and we ended up doing laundry in the tub. I would be surprised if something hadn't died in the hot tub recently....

For the good: Staff was incredibly accommodating and helpful and great at keeping the somewhat rowdy high school group in line. The rooms were clean and beds extremely comfy. The internet and tv worked great and they have a mini-fridge and microwave as well. The location is easy to find and convenient for those along I-10. For the price it was what I would expect from a hotel room. I just would skip the hot tub next time.....

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MontanaPilot

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear the staff took great care in accommodating you while you were with us but I apologize for the few issues that arose while you were with us. I understand that someone from the family booked the resrevations for the wedding party and some names had multiple reservations but I'll review with the Front Desk to ensure we have guests blocked and checked-in to the correct rooms. In regards to the pool my Engineer has already corrected the issue with our pool supplier so it stays regulated regardless on the amount of guests utilizing the pool. I appreciate your feedback and welcome you back to the hotel in the future. Thank you!

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I enjoyed my stay here for a quick business trip. They have all the amenities you need in the room like Wifi, coffee maker, small fridge and microwave.Breakfast buffet and coffee is great! Easy access to I-10 and nearby restaurants. I'll definitely stay here next time!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Angie L
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Me and my family stayed here for about 5 days, overall it was a good experience. Check in was easy and fast, although they didn't personally tell us check out time, breakfast times and such. Staff was great though, very nice and helpful. The room was very clean, there was one day that the trash was not taken out of the room but other than that really clean and plenty of space.. One thing that was a Little aggravating was that we could hear everything above us, we were in the first Floor and could hear people walking and running all the time. Breakfast was good as well, regular continental breakfast, Texas shape waffles! It is a little ways from downtown, but if there's not too much traffic you can get there fairly quick. There's a Walmart and chain restaurants and la cantera mall close to it so not a bad location. For the price it was great!

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank rnana
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Some of the best beds I have ever slept on...better than the Hampton bed, and miles above e Weston heavenly bed. Best sleep I had on my trip through San Antonio. The location is a little tricky but once you find it it's easy to find again. Great staff and very clean. My new hotel of choice when staying near UTSA and the Boerne corridor.

Room Tip: Any of them...if I could rate the beds a six star I would.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 19, 2012

The room itself was nice, and the hotel was comfortable with great staff. That's where the positives end.

My wife and I opted to stay here this past weekend and after the first night, it was regretted. Despite the hotel being about 1/4 mile from I-10, the cars sounded like they were zooming right past us, and we were at the back of the hotel. For a basis of comparison, I last stayed in SA at the Comfort Suites just east of I-37, and I didn't barely heard traffic being 2 rooms from the highway.

I thought it was my imagination, but were were both able to distinctly hear neighbors having conversations that sounded like they were on loud speakers. I sneezed while watching the Notre Dame vs. Wake Forest game and my neighbor to the right of my room said bless you - no joke. I didn't complain or bring it up to the management team, just because there was nothing they could have done to fix the walls bleeding sound. Next time I'm in town, I'll be more apt to make a longer drive around to save sleep.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the hotel (101, 102, 201, 201, 301, 302, etc) to see if it's an...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple