“Good location poor choice”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld
Ranked #224 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We arrived after 4 and they weren't sure if the rooms were cleaned. It was as if all of the front desk staff were in training. I asked the girl about checking for my priority club number but she left in the middle of checking us in and said that the other girl would finish. I finally got my room and the room was dirty. The floor needed to be vacuumed. There was dust on the night stand and some unknown substance on the lamp. The worst there was something floating in the toilet. I called and they came to check it out. The item in the toilet was what the maid used to clean the toilet. Housekeeping came in dusted, vacuumed and mopped the floor. The people on the floor above me was must have been bowling or playing Twister until around 10:30. The breakfast the next morning was nothing but breads, sweet rolls, sugar cereals and bad coffee. When checking out it took several attempts by the young lady to get my bill correct . Again she ignored the request to ensure my priority club number was entered. Finally the young man at the desk hot it straight.

Room Tip: There was no room service or spa so please disregard those ratings.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Dear Aquanetta B,

Thanks so much for reviewing our hotel. We strive to provide a clean and comfortable place for our guest to stay and to provide exceptional customer service with all of our guest needs. We sincerely apologize for failing to meet your expectations during your stay particularly with housekeeping service, breakfast selections and level of staff service received. Rest assured that your comments will be reviewed by our team and take actions accordingly. We greatly appreciate your feedback as this is the best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope you will allow us an opportunity to better serve your needs in the near future.

Zelyn N

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I booked this hotel for its proximity to Sea World for a weekend trip for my child and myself. I booked it about 2 months out and when I checked the rates about 2 weeks before my arrival the rates had dropped so of course I rebooked at the lower cost. My first disappointment with the property was when walking into the main entrance there were 2 smokers standing right in front that you had to walk by and it smelled. When I commented on the fact that it is a nonsmoking property and they had 2 smokers right at the entrance the front desk clerk just said that is where the ashtrays are located. Maybe they should move the ashtrays around to the side so you don't have to walk through smokers to get into the hotel. Later saw the same desk clerk, while he was working, standing right in front of the hotel smoking. Very Unprofessional! Front desk clerk did not recognize my priority membership. I had requested a quiet room away from the elevator and soon as we got off the elevator right there was my room. Had to go downstairs and request a different room. Why put in requests when they obviously do not read them. Room appeared to be clean but do not like where the towels are place. There is a shelf under the sink near the pipe so you had to bend way over to get the towels and it just seems dirty to have clean towels so close to the floor. The lighting in the bathroom is awful - don't even think about trying to apply makeup. If you are a light sleeper you may want to request a room in the back of the hotel because Friday night the restaurant located close to the hotel had live music and was quite loud. If you are going south on 1604 during rush hour it is difficult due to the traffic. Several times when we were going in and out of the hotel there were smokers hanging around the entrance. The breakfast was typical, nothing special. Close to Sea World.If you really dislike smoking would definitely not stay at this location. Would not stay at this location - very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Dear travelwithchild,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay. Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable, clean and friendly accommodations. It is my regret to hear your disappointments on your overall experience particularly with the smelt of smoke, quality of the room you received and the unsatisfactory customer service at the front desk. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience or discomfort it may have caused you. Rest assured that this isn't reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves. We always want our guest to have a pleasant and professional experience when interacting with our staff. I appreciate you bringing these unfortunate incident to our attention. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world class service to our guests.

Lera P

Reviewed June 14, 2013

It was encouraging that things might be better this time around when I entered the lobby and was pleasantly greeted by Andrew, a familiar face that had been missing for a few months. After he acknowledged my Priority Club status, Andrew made sure that I had the correct room type and floor that I had requested, offered some bottled water, and asked if I needed any restaurant recommendations in the area. Quite a change from the previous rude and non-caring check-ins from the grumpy, disinterested girls that manned the front desk on the previous couple of visits.

My room was clean and had all of the toiletries in place (I didn't have to use my own soap or shampoo this time!) and it looked like housekeeping actually had cleaned the bathroom, emptied the trash cans, and wiped off most of the flat surfaces. Towels were neatly hung this time (and dry!) and didn't look like someone had stopped by to wash and dry their hands just prior to my arrival.

As is the case with almost all Holiday Inn Express breakfasts, they lack a good choice of fresh fruit and healthy choices, but if you arrive early, there's usually enough of the hot food to go around. After 8:15 or so, you might be out of luck on some of the offerings. They rarely replenish any of the hot foods and the juice dispenser did not chill the fruit juices. Hopefully, this has been rectified since my visit as hot cranberry juice is not very appealing...or healthy.

Upon checking out the next morning, I had the pleasure of meeting and having a nice visit with Samuel, the new General Manager, and Carmen, the Director of Sales. It's obvious that they are interested in improving this property and were very receptive to listening to suggestions and ideas from guests.
I'm thankful that positive changes are being implemented as I love the location of this hotel, but was ready to look elsewhere for future business trips.

With a number of restaurants and shopping venues within a short drive, it's a convenient spot if your destination is on the west/northwest side of town. Egress onto the Loop 1604 access road during the morning rush can be dicey, particularly with the number of motorists that are too busy texting and/or putting on makeup to courteously grant you entry onto the roadway. It's often easier to head around to Braun Road via Amelia Pass and go to the traffic light should you need to head south on 1604.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HornJock
samuel q, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

Thank you for such a pleasant review. We strive to reward our guest with world-class customer service and a comfortable destination. We have changed many features in our hotel with the intention that these changes will benefit our staff and our guest, and it is reassuring to know that our guest are satisfied and pleased with what we are doing. If you are ever intown again, please, come stay with us! Thank you, Karina Nazario (FDA)

Reviewed June 1, 2013

First, the good stuff: good bed, good sleep. We were there 4 nights. My first shower; hairdryer dead. Wet hair; got new one by evening. The first morning, there was no coffee at breakfast...we had to go find someone to make more. The second morning, there were no plates. We had to go find the person that was supposed to be running the dining area and ask him for some. The third morning, there were no pancakes. No explanation other than "We're out.". The entire stay, the back/side door card key lock didn't work, so we had to walk around from the back to the front door to get in. We reported it 3 times...never fixed in 4 days. One of two bathroom lights didn't work. Also, the sink faucet was a cheap one so the spout didn't stick out far enough; we'd rub the back of our hands ON the sink wall while washing them. Ick. Our 5th night was a weekend and they raised the prices $40/night. That was it. We moved out.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear SanAntonioJane,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor customer service from our staff. We will address this point. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Omg front desk manager is so friendly and always greeted us with the smile everytime we came in the hotel,all other staff are very friend just one person that seemed mad i cant remember her name but we were on the 2nd floor she never had a smile or said hi it was like if we were not there but other then that i was happy there ,breakfast lady never came out to see if we needed more coffee i had to tell her and it was frezzing cold in there i went to the lobby to drink my coffee and the front desk manager asked me if i needed anything i told her that it was way to cold in the breakfast and she asked me if i told the breakfast host and i told her i did not see her there so she grab some keys and i assume she was trying to turn down the thermostat and yes sure enough she came back and said she had turn the air off she responded very fast and i like that and know that is what you can say great customer service

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed April 15, 2013

1. The printer wasn't working in the business center and they immediately let me use their computer at the front desk. I didn't even have to ask to do it. I love it when customer service staff solves a problem WITHOUT me giving them the solution.
2. The ceiling in our room leaked before we checked in, so one of our beds was wet. They brought up a key to a new room (they didn't make us go down to get it!), and we moved into a new room.
----
My only problem would be that we had four people in our party, but only three towels in the room each day. That was odd.
----
Great location!!!! This hotel is RIGHT on the highway, but it's not noisy at all. If you're coming for the San Antonio Highland Games or another event at the Helotes Fairgrounds, THIS is the place to stay.
It's across the street from a restaurant, dry cleaners, Thai place, gas station and Walgreens. It's also close (5 minute drive on feeder road) to a grocery store, bank, Target, dry cleaners, mall, etc. Great location!
It is a 20 minute drive on the highway to the Alamo or airport, so this isn't the best place to stay for that. But we did go to the Alamo in non-rush hour traffic time periods and the 20 minute drive was fine. I shudder to think what it's like during rush hour, though.
We will DEFINITELY stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We've been staying at this particular Holiday Inn since it first opened, and stay here at least once every quarter. When it first opened staff and service was excellent. However our last stay was the most disappointing yet.
After checking in and entering our room we found the bath faucet completely unattached from the sink. As the hotel was full we could not get another room and had to deal with it that night & in morning. The following day, housekeeping service was lousy! Our room was left without clean towels, the floor was not vacuumed, beds were left unmade, & trash was not disposed.
When I called the front desk, the attendant was so rude, I had to walk downstairs and ask for towels. As she accused me of "raising my voice" I was left to wonder if the about the mantra of "the customer is always right" doesn't apply here.
Also, the hotel stopped leaving wash cloths for your use.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank robjrpena
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites San Antonio NW Near Seaworld, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear robjrpena,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret you received service which was less than satisfactory. I have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.

Once again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B