“Good taste, cheap lunch eats” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1,762 of 4,589 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: North Central
Description: Thai & Vietnamese Restaurant in San Antonio. Lunch & Sushi Specials. Sushi Bar. Boba Drinks. Bubble Tea Drinks
San Antonio, TX
“Good taste, cheap lunch eats”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012 via mobile

I usually come here for weekday lunch because they are fast and the service is acceptable. They aren't warm and inviting, but I didn't come here to be coddled. The food is $7-8 for lunch and fairly healthy. Noodles, meat, tofu and veggies. Maybe a lot of carbs, but certainly not dripping in oil. Taste is comparable to other Thai/Vietnamese/ fast food Chinese type of meals.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

“Our favorite thai restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

We go here at least once a month. Service is good- the teenagers welcome us and remember our special requests. At first we had problems with too much spice once or twice for a #1 level, but that is ok now. Always friendly and open to substitutions (I prefer pad thai sauce on my salad). Bubble teas are great. Good family atmosphere.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Excellent. Fresh food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

Manola's is a family run restaurant in a strip center. If you're looking for atmosphere and a professional waitstaff you're going to be disappointed. Servers are attentive and helpful (why would anyone be looking for more than that at this type of restaurant?)

The food is the shining star here. Every menu item we've tried has been delicious. We've even gone off-menu a couple of times and asked Manola to surprise us. Never a disappointment.

As a remark to the customer who was looking for healthy choices: If you can't find anything healthy on Manola's menu I have a difficult time believeing you'd find something healthy across the street at a Mexican Food establishment. Something about that review doesn't ring true.

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
San Antonio, Texas
“Good food, poor service, fattening.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012

I'm torn on how to rate this restaurant as I write this review. I've been a long time customer of Manola's ever since they opened (it's been about 3 years now).The food is excellent. It's fresh, tasty, and reasonably priced. The Pho is very tasty. On the downside, there is nothing healthy on this menu that they can actually serve. I tried to order two different salads, only to hear that they didn't have the ingredients to make the dishes. I asked for a chicken satay with no sauce, and I was assured that the sauce came on the side. Instead, I received chicken covered in a sugar based sauce. Quote: "That's not a sauce, that's a marinade". Hmm...interesting perspective I guess. I asked if they had anything healthy that was available, and the answer was no. So, I had 1/2 a cup of salty miso soup for lunch. This was truly disappointing, especially since I make it a point not to be high maintenance at restaurants. Actually, our party asked for several entrees, only to find out that what we wanted was not available, even though it was on the menu.

Service has always been poor. The soul of this restaurant is behind the kitchen door. While I admire family run businesses, this one has serious limitations. The servers / front of the house staff are teenagers who obviously have very little interest and no experience with providing good customer service. They try as much as a couple of teenagers who work for the family business can, however it's a very poor substitute for good wait staff. I had hoped that after three years these kids would get better, or the restaurant owner would have enough stability to replace the front of the house with more experienced servers, but this hasn't happened and it doesn't look like it will change soon.

Given the lackadaisical and disinterested teenage customer service, a very poor selection of health conscious items, and the fact that they couldn't prepare 4 of the 6 items we requested (that were on the menu), I'm saddened to say this will be the last time I visit Manola's.

Hopefully, other customers will have better luck than I did. Next time I'm hungry, I'll cross the street and visit Guajillo's instead.

• Visited May 2012