“delicious meats”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 4,714 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Walk
Description: Fogo de ChaoR (fo-go dee shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, FogoR began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 16 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet salad bar, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I have eaten at a few Brazilian steakhouses during my travels, but had never tried Fogo de Chao. However, on a recent conference to San Antonio I decided to have dinner there as it was located just outside my hotel on the riverwalk. The restaurant was packed, but I was seated fairly quickly. The service was fantastic. I picked up my choices from the salad bar (which is okay, but does not have as many options as other places (e.g., Texas de Brazil or Brazzaz in Chicago), but it's not a big deal because one comes to these churrascarias to eat meat not salad, correct. Once seated the meats can fast and furious. So delicious. Was asked by the servers a few times how I liked my meats cooked and they made sure to offer them that way the next time they came by...superb! Also, some of the cuts of meat were huge (I've never had such big pieces in other Brazilian steak houses). Unfortunately, they didn't carry the Brazilian beer I like, Palma Louca, so I had an Xingu, which is Brazilian, but very dark; it tasted oaky, but was a bit strong for me, so I settled for diet coke, which I was happy to see was delivered in a can with a glass of ice (fountain drinks are always a disappointment, no matter where you get it from). Anyway, I walked away pleasantly full and happy. Not a bad deal for $45. I will visit this location again next time I find myself in San Antonio. If you like meats and are hungry, I recommend Fogo de Chao highly.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

If you like meat, this is your place. Be prepared to eat! There were three people at the entrance. I would not say they were welcoming - two of them seemed to be more interested in chatting with each other. But don't get discouraged. Once we were seated the service was exceptional. Although the restaurant was crowded we could not have asked for servers who were more friendly, engaging and attentive. My wife had the salad bar ($22.50) and I had the dinner ($48.50). The salad bar was unbelievable. One could easily have a great meal with those offerings alone - the cheese selection, everything first class. If you have the entire meal, don't fill up on the salad bar. Once you turn the card to green, look out, they are in line with incredible selections of meat. Look at the brochure and be certain you sample all of their offerings. If you are adventuresome with drinks, try the Caipirinha, you can tell them how sweet you want it. Will most definitely return.

Reviewed October 5, 2013

My husband and I both LOVE Churrascarias. Because we were so close to Fogo de Chao, we decided to pop in and have dinner there. Let me just say : WORST DECISION EVER. Before you continue reading just know that it is NOT worth your money. PLEASE go to TEXAS DE BRAZIL instead. It is just a couple of blocks away and the food is 100x better. You will not regret it.

The place was dirty, the servers were rude and most importantly the food was atrocious.
-Mash potatoes: I am pretty sure they were $1 box potatoes. They tasted absolutely hideous and were topped with shredded cheddar (TexMex style).
-Fried Plantains: Soggy and tasteless
-Cuts of meat: all were tasteless. We had to keep adding stuff on it to make it taste a little bit better. Ordered medium rare and kept on getting well-done. Meat was hard and chewy. Sausage was hardly edible. Lamb was actually pretty good! (I do not like lamb.. but their lamb didn't taste like lamb so it tasted great to me).
-Salad bar: Only half decent thing on the salad bar was the chicken salad. It was nothing special, but compared to all the other things, it was pretty good.

I can honestly say that I have never left a restaurant feeling so disappointed. Please save yourself the trouble and go else where.

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Great meat and salads. Love to to again. Wish there was one in Charlotte. This is definitely a place everyone should attend. The service was great.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

They have one price - 45 dollars per person. For that you get your choice of the salad buffet as much as you want. And the salad buffet has really high end content. From smoked salmon, to asparagus, to a salad of crustaceans, and what not. Luckily the waiters tell you to be careful with it and leave space for the meats. And well you should. They have a system whereby you get a card with a red and green light on each side. When you desire them coming to your table with meat cuts, then you turn the card to green, when you want them to stop, then turn it to red. You should do so promptly because if you get so into eating into the first bit of meat, the waiters will keep coming to your table and plate with other choices. The meat is extraordinary good. It is done on standing up on a firepit in an extra room. Did I say that the place is Brazilian? The side dishes are also very nice. There is the Brazilian cheese bread, little pieces of yams as well as some other offers like fried banana pieces. And keep the meat coming. There is pork and chicken and veal. If you ask me, go for the cow meat. And let it melt on your mouth. The service is spectacular and the best time to go is at around 7 to 8 p.m. My partner is still enthralled by the quality of the service. While I, being from that region of the world originally still get dreamy when I think of the meat we ate. If you have to party something, go! If you do not have to party anything, go anyway. It may well be the best place you have ever eaten in your life. Well, unless you are a vegetarian. Cannot say anything about desert, as we certainly did not leave any place for that one to fit in. So on that account, read the other reviews about the place. Oh the location is very central, right in front of the convention center and next to the River Center shopping center.