“Great time had by all!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed March 8, 2011

I'm a bit late adding this review, however, my son has been asking if we can return for his birthday which prompted me to write a review. I was very nervous about this booking from some of the earlier reviews in regards to traveling with young children (6 & 6 months) but was quickly put at ease upon our late arrival. The staff was very welcoming, had our room ready, set up a pack n' play, asked if we required additional "baby amenities" and gave us a quick overview of events and the lay of the land so we would be able to make the most of our stay. The water park and kids pool were great. And although the resort is big, I had no problems shuffling the kiddos back and forth from pool to room. My son loved the evening movie at the pool. I loved the Agava Margaritas!! Yes, there were a couple service hiccups by a life guard who missed the customer service memo and a pool attendant who gave away my chairs when I was less than 4ft away-but I will still rate this hotel excellent! And it looks like we will be returning in April for my son's birthday!
PS...For what it's worth...I have not been to the Hyatt Hill Country Resort (but have been to it's sister property Lost Pines) however, two other guests I spoke with rated this hotel better than the Hyatt. Just thought I would pass that along.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,642)

Reviewed March 7, 2011

This property is very attractive with service that leaves something to be desired. The spa is incredible, comparable to any of the others in this range. The staff provides excellent service. The pool is heated and very nice but service is better at the pool with only one wait person than the restaurant which is poolside (Rivertop). Most of its staff stand around checking their text messages. We were a party of six who could not get any service whatsoever and there were not menus on the tables. Strange as we wanted to make sure there were vegetarian options for one of party. We left the property to have drinks and some munchies in the late afternoon. Although there is a lot of staff standing around the pool and ample lifeguards, I wouldn't suggest this property until summer time. Then I am sure it is heavily staffed and your children will be delighted with the pool and the other amenities. The golf course, I would bypass on service alone. They do not carry the types of clubs other resorts do for rentals.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 25, 2011

Just returned from spending our winter break in San Antonio and loved this resort. The property is enormous, rooms large and comfortable, and the staff was always friendly and willing to help. The pool complex is huge and features water park style slides that kept my kids entertained for hours. The lazy river pool was also very nice for taking a break. We also found the restaurants on-site to be absolutely top notch, and not a bad value for families with kids (breakfast buffet was $8 per child, and included freshly made omelettes, pancakes, waffles and a great selection of fresh fruit). I treated my wife to a massage at the spa, and she was very impressed with this as well.
It is about 12 miles north of downtown area, so a rental car is a good idea if you plan on venturing into town more than once or twice during your stay. We also went up north further into Hill Country for a day of horseback riding, that was arranged by a very helpful and knowledgeable concierge staff.
All in all, the JW resort was a great homebase for a week in San Antonio and is highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank L0ngIsland_familyguy
Reviewed February 21, 2011

Tip - rent a car! This resort is not close to anything within walking distance.

Rent a car. Stock up at liquor store down the street from hotel. The JW does not have a bottle shop on site. We purchased everything we needed for our hospitality suite at the liquor store down the street.

Rooms are nice, good wi-fi!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2011

Recently we decided to try out JW Marriot for a short leisure trip. We were not disappointed with the attention detail that the staff was focused in on. Every single employee there was cheerful and overly helpful. The rooms were spotless and cozy. The pool areas were clean and kept nice and warm for swimming in Feb. We did enjoy one site rest., Cibilo Moon. The food was made to our order and very tasty. Local entertainment was easy to get to outside of the resort and the front desk was helpful in finding local events. If you get a chance go downtown San Antonio and eat at Green Rest. on S. Flores--absolutely a must! Overall we got what we expect from a JW resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank myocastor1
Reviewed February 19, 2011

Compared to numerous other resorts, the beauty and service here was the best! I did not pass anyone in the hotel during my 1 night stay for business who didn't offer me a pleasant greeting or ask to assist. It is a very large resort and has numerous scene's depending on which windows you are looking through. I'm sure that Spring and summer would amaze the eye as I could see grasses and flowers coming up. I've been in San Antonio numerous times for business and stay near or on the River Walk; this was different and quite appealing. If I were traveling there again, I'd look forward to staying at JW Marriott, and hopefully have access to the beautiful pools (too cool this trip).

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Jim and Sheila K
Reviewed February 13, 2011

This place is absolutely beautiful!!! The service was top knotch in all of the areas we experienced. We golfed, ate in the sports bar and had a few drinks in the bar. The staff was amazingly accommodating, particularly the golf course personnel. We had a problem with something added to our bill and had no problems getting it removed with few questions asked. It was a busy weekend, being it was valentine's weekend and the staff were outstanding. They gave me a rose upon check-in. :) The bathroom was so nice with marble countertops, robes, seperate shower and tub, etc. Beds were very comfortable. I generally stay in Marriotts and this one did not disappoint.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple