My wife's company was having a meeting at this hotel and since I had the time off and it was our anniversary (not to mention that San Antonio is one of my favorite places), I tagged along. We drove from Downtown San Antonio where we had stayed the night before to the northern city limits where this property is located. Do your research before driving here. The address was not in my GPS. My iPhone was able to give me an approximate location, so I was able to figure it out. The property is 3 miles from Route 281, down the road from some upscale stores and new construction. It is very isolated from everything. Downtown San Antonio is 20 miles away. If there is no traffic on 281, you can get down there fairly quickly, but you may want to budget 45 minutes for visiting downtown and I would not recommend this hotel if your sole purpose is to do the Riverwalk, Alamo, Hemisfair Park, La Villita, Market Square, and the Missions. There are a few restaurants, drug stores, and other typical shops within five miles or so of the resort.
When you pull up to the hotel, there are a multitude of employees ready to help you. They will help you unload your car and will offer you valet parking (very expensive) or you can self-park. I self-parked, as I am young and able bodied. If you are not so young and able bodied, they have a guy on a golf cart that will take you to and from your car from time to time. Check-in was easy and the bell-hop rode up with us, told us all about the hotel and showed us to our room. This hotel has complimentary self-service laundry with a flat-screen TV and a microwave in the laundry room and ice and soda machines on every floor.
The room was beautiful. There is a small marble topped bar on the right that hides your coffee maker and ice bucket. Next to that is a closer with iron and ironing board. On the left is a bathroom with bath, separate shower, toilet, and sink with ample counter space and mirror. We had a king room with a flat screen TV, input port if you brought your own DVD player, video games, etc. There was a couch (I believe fold-out), chair with ottoman, desk chair, pull out table for work, and a narrow balcony. Other rooms had a full balcony with a table and chairs. There was climate control in every room via central air. There was even an ipod dock/alarm clock! The only negative about the room was that the numerous pillows on the bed were not particularly supportive.
The highlight of the property, in my mind, was the "River Bluff Experience" which featured a main pool, kiddie pool, adults only pool, lazy river, action river/slide, and two amusement park caliber water slides. There were also plenty of lounge chairs, umbrellas, and poolside wait staff for food and drink orders. Lifeguards and waitstaff were very friendly. The drinks at the bar were typical resort/cruise pricing, but I found it a bit overpriced for San Antonio.
I ate many meals off of the resort, as I would rather have good local food at local prices, not resort prices. I did eat lunch at the spa restaurant one day. The food was tasty and I got free refills on my Diet Pepsi, however the service was very inconsistent. Our waiter forgot the lemon for my wife's iced tea, brought the wrong berry plate, then made it incorrectly in the kitchen the second time before getting it out to us on the third attempt. The food was not delivered all together, so it made dining awkward for a party of three. We also had an inexplicably long wait for drinks at the bar on the first night.
The resort is sparkling clean and aesthetically pleasing. There are plenty of people to help you and answer your questions. Despite being out of the way, almost everything you need is on site.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa has firmly established itself as the city's premier luxury destination and the renowned resort in Texas' Hill Country. Rated 4-Diamonds by AAA, and just 12 miles from San Antonio International Airport (SAT), our luxury resort features the 36-hole TPC San Antonio golf course, home to the Valero Texas Open, Lantana Spa, a six acre water park and seven restaurants. Our restaurants are sure to please with Texas BBQ, genuine Mexican cuisine and private dining rooms for groups. Our rooms offer cozy beds, scenic views, soft robes & large bathrooms. Guests will also enjoy the open lobby with free Wi-Fi. Whether you're seeking a peaceful respite, productive conference or fun-filled family vacation, our luxurious Hill Country resort will not only exceed your expectations but redefine them altogether. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Jetsetter and HotelQuickly so you can book your JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort And Spa