“Worst hotel stay I have ever had!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“Worst hotel stay I have ever had!”
Reviewed March 21, 2010

This was the "Grand Opening" weekend, it was anything but grand. The hotel staff was not very customer focused and they were overwhelmed. The beds in the rooms are horrible. The staff was rude. The room temperature was uncomfortable, and when we left on Sunday, not one person offered to help with our luggage. When I checked out, the girl did not even bother to ask how our stay was, most likely a good thing she did not. I will never go back to this hotel again. You could not pay me to stay here. You are going to have a real problem with this hotel….too many rooms and not enough restaurants, pools, and staff, to take care of your guests.

2 Thank deethebluesman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Houston
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My wife and I always take our young children to either, The Westin La Cantera, The Ritz in Miami or The Ritz in Scottsdale, during spring break. We heard mixed reviews on this hotel but wanted to try it out because of the pools for the kids and the supposedly great service.
For starters when i made the reservation and I asked for a double and we got a king with a fold out. We were told that the hotel was completely booked and there was nothing they could do for us. I decided to ignore this and not let it interfere with our stay but little did i know it was the beginning of one of the worst hotel experiences ever.
The pools were great and there was an abundance of activities for our young children but the staff was HORRIBLE. One hour wait for two margaritas, had to get them myself on the second round. Staff was not helpful whatsoever and you had to get your own chairs from plastic bags that were laying next to the grass. On various occasions We complained to staff and management and we were told "please have patience, we did not expect to be this busy." Seriously...
We ate dinner at the hotel restaurant Cibolo and I will stop short here and just say don't waste your money or time. 1 hour wait and another 30 minutes after we were seated to get drinks and food just not up to par. On the second night we did risk it and decided to head outside the hotel for dinner. Plenty of better choices just minutes away. McDonalds , Whataburger, papajohns pizza...
On our last night at the hotel the temperatures in San Antonio dropped significantly and we called room service for extra blankets. Three calls and two hours later they showed up with one blanket as thin as a sheet.
Overall our stay was very disappointing and from talking to other guests that we befriended during our stay it appeared that the feelings were commonly shared amongst many guests at the hotel.
I would like to point out that one of the bartenders was extremely nice and made good margaritas at the main hotel bar. Also the Valet was helpful and fast, room service was efficient and well trained. The starbucks coffee bar was probably the best service and product around that hotel. Never staying here again. I hope this review helps you.

2 Thank jrmlaw
San Angelo Tx
Reviewed March 21, 2010

After staying at La Cantera 3 nights my husband and I were very disappointed in JW. Beautiful property but terrible service and food. Waited 1 hour for room service and thefood was cold and Chardonnay warm. Excuse was everything was so crazy because Mr. Marriott wason property. Excuse me? It all shouldhave been topnotch then. You may have the Valero Open but the food and service need help. Will stay at La Cantera anytime over JW. Same amenities, but better service, food, and golf is just as good, maybe better because of the great staff. Get your staff trained and work on a restaurant or lounge for adults only

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank chardonnaygeek
Urbandale
Reviewed March 20, 2010

This is a beautiful resort but I would think again about staying for the price. First the pros... beautiful hotel, gorgeous landscaping, wonderful pool & slides which are nicely heated, beautiful bathrooms.

Cons... the staff needs a little help in all areas - first reservations. I was told by two different reservationists that the $20 resort fee was OPTIONAL. Upon check in I told the check in personnel that I wasn't interested in obtaining the $20 resort fee package b/c we would never use it - he then told me it wasn't an option. We automatically have the resort fee of $20 included in our stay for each day of our stay.

We checked in at 2:30 p.m. and asked for a rollaway - at 10:45 p.m. we are still waiting for our rollaway and after 3 phone calls to inquire about it it finally arrived at 11:00 p.m.. Our room didn't get cleaned until 5:45 p.m. the next day - I was hoping it would have been while we were out from 9 - 3 but no such luck. But by golly the next morning when we were going to be checking out and wanted to sleep in, housekeeping was knocking on our door at 8:50 a.m. to clean our room!

The service down by the pool was slow - the waiter forgot to order the families meal next to us and it took 25-30 min. on two seperate times to get one coke for us. The food at the resort is very pricey. And if you get the rate that includes the $50 resort credit, beware, it doesn't carry over from day to day nor does it apply to the resort credit. So if you don't buy food or something from the gift shops each day you lose the credit.

If you have a lot of extra money laying around and don't mind spending it give the hotel a try. However, I believe there are other resorts in the area that would have been just as nice without all of the kinks and hidden fees.

Stayed March 17-19; room 9151.

2 Thank jlafrentz
Austin
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We ate in 18 Oaks the finest restaurant on the property. I had a Prime Ribeye which was tough , over salted and over priced. The peice of meat was closer to a bad choice cut rather than a prime cut. My wife had seared scallops which were more poached than seared.
Service was poor, (an empty table next to us had dirty dishes for most of the meal) service was slow, food was bad and terribly overpriced.
My recommendation if you stay here, eat the breakfast if part of the package and eat elswhere for dinner.
Personally we will not return.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
texas
Reviewed March 18, 2010

I spent three days/two nights at the resort March 16-18, 2010 to give a treat to my teen son. We live about an hour from the resort and decided t o take a mini-vacation near home.

First, the positive attributes: the room was new, great bedding, decent view, no smoke smell in the entire resort, nice waterpark/lazy river area.

That's where the positives end, sadly. The staff seemed completely overwhelmed, and the vast majority were completely uninterested in helping despite the fact that there were guests standing around everywhere who needed help, directions, etc. I am extremely well traveled and have stayed in my share of budget hotels all the way up to the finest resorts. Ironically, my profession is as a travel writer; however, luckily for this hotel, I was not on assignmen. I don't expect prompt and courteous service in a $69 a night hotel. But when I am paying more than $350 a night (see 'sneaky charges' later in the review), yes-- I expect to have good service.
I began calling the hotel about 10 miles away to get driving directions (I left my GPS at home by accident) and they literally kept me on hold until after I missed the turn, finally saws the resort on a hill and figured out how to get there ONLY because I was vaguely familiar with the area. Just for grins, I left the phone on hold while I CHECK IN and eventually they answered 14 minutes later.
That night, I needed a wake-up call and used my room phone to call the front desk. I began calling at 11:25. The phone went into voice mail hold for 10 minutes, and I got frustrated, so I hung up and tried again. This went on until well past midnight. (The alarm in the room was extremely complicated, and I didn't touch it but JUST TO MOCK ME (LOL), it went off at full volume at 3:30am waking up my son and I, and I was unable to get back to sleep.
The next day, we went to the pool and it was fine. But at lunch, we went over to the pool bar/cafe to grab a coke and an appetizer. Our waitress comes over to get our drink order, and then disappears for 30 minutes. By now, I am losing my patience and walked up to the bartender and placed my food order with him. There was a language barrier and I could not completely understand him, but he handed me a bill for our food order, which appeared correct. After another 20 minutes, we still have no food, so when a different waitress walked by, I flagged her over and asked what was going on. She asked what we had ordered (twister potatoes and chicken strips) and she informs me that the hotel doesn't yet have th twister machine so would we like to order something else? OMG!!!! I pretty much freaked out at this point and asked for a manager. A lovely, nice young lady (worry, I didn't catch her name) came over and informed me she was the overall GM for the poolside cafe, and she did proceed to bring out chicken strips and apologies to her credit.
That night at dinner, the service and food were nice at the in-house steak/seafood restaurant, so we went back again for the second night. Bad mistake. Sat there for nearly 25 minutes waiting for a bill, food was appallingly not the same quality as the night before (even thought we ordered the same thing) and the place looked like it was in some sort of chaos. Our waitress was covering two sides of the restaurant and would frequently come back to check on us out of breath and noticeable winded (though she was also very sweet and apologetic).
Okay, that night we tried the 'wake-up call' again, and the exact same thing happened. When the guy finally came on the phone, I said, "What is the problem?" He said that the entire hotel only had TWO people on phones, and that he was 'getting slammed'. He said "I don't blame you for being angry. This is a horrible situation."!

I tried to keep it calm in front of my son, because after all, he is the reason I came to the resort. I didn't want to ruin the trip, so I tried to shake it off. And then... we checked out.

With ZERO mention of this anywhere in any marketing materials/websites, etc, I was informed (after already paying a rate of $289 a night for the room) that there was a $20 resort fee per day in order to use the spa facilities, Internet, etc. NOTE: I told the desk when I checked in that I wasn't interested in using any of those things and I was told that it was a mandatory fee. (Making the room night now $309 per night).

When we checked out, there was an additional $49 per night added for "City Taxes", and another few dollars for State Fees, etc. OMG! Are you KIDDING ME? The charges were added insult to injury because of the disastrous service.

I had intended to tell the front desk about the distrous service, etc when I checked out, but they never asked how my stay was.
Room 9131
March 16-18, 2010

2 Thank TXTRAVELWRITER
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Was here for a conference, everything esthetically about the hotel is wonderful. They didn't scrimp on anything and it shows. However, the food was "so so" and drinks are very pricey. I understand this is an upscale resort, which you can definitely appreciate. However, it was very expensive to enjoy the establishments on the premises.

It is a 20 minute drive to the Riverwalk. I would recommend renting a car, cab/shuttle service was roughly $65.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business