JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 4, 2014

I have visited many first class hotels, but this JW Marriott really stood out. First, the customer service was first rate in every way-- when I arrived, the front desk want out of there way to provide me with the exact room I requested-- overlooking the pool on a high floor. They gave me a suite with a great view to accommodate my request. From that point, I felt the staff was willing to bend over backwards to accommodate my stay-- in the bars, restaurants and grounds, the staff said "good morning", "good afternoon" and "can I get anything for you". They treated me like they really appreciated my businesses-- which really meant a lot.

Second, the grounds are in meticulous condition, clean, well manicured grounds, clean rooms and spotless restaurants. I felt like they really cared about the property and that the staff took pride in keeping things first rate.

Third, the food and beverage people offered an outstanding experience-- farm fresh eggs, oatmeal, starbucks coffee, you name it, they tried to offer it to you. Simply put, I felt it was an outstanding value at a great price.

Finally, the lazy river was a great pool experience. Floating down the river offered a very relaxing experience. I could spend the entire day with a drink and the lazy river.

While the hotel is about twenty miles from San Antonio, I felt the outstanding facility made up for it. I had no interest in visiting San Antonio after spending time at this facility.

I strongly recommend and wish I could go back. Thanks JW MArriot!

Room Tip: take a room overlooking the pool--- very cool view. AC seemed to work fine.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank sanjuan787
Write a ReviewReviews (2,597)

Reviewed August 4, 2014

I've stayed at this property four or five times now, but this is definitely the last year I'll stay during the family vacation period. The hotel is filled with yelling children, yelling adults, slamming doors, pounding feet, screaming kids in the restaurants and the bar (why are you bringing children to a bar?), and this inexplicably happens at all hours. Children are yelling and running up and down the halls at midnight and again at 7:00am. The parents not only don't do anything about it, they just look at you and shrug. It's like a really expensive Chucky Cheese.

Two other adults and I like to go to Lantana Spa for a girls' weekend and have a reason for choosing this particular date. We want to relax, have spa treatments, have some drinks and chat, and then do brunch on Sunday. Although the spa is really quite great, the brunch at 18 Oaks is to die for, and the staff at the hotel and spa are always wonderful, the other guests are ruining the experience.

There was also an ongoing incident at the spa pool (which is adults only) where a group of eight girls were celebrating a birthday. They were drunk and loud with a blaring boombox and one girl screaming the f-word constantly. This is supposed to be the tranquil pool away from the noise of the kids. Management and staff came and spoke to the girls several times, but they would just start up again as soon as they left, berating and taunting the management once they were out of earshot. They were never asked to leave, despite the many other guests' looks of disgust and complaints. We later found out that one or more of the girls' parents were TPC Club Members, which is why they were allowed to stay. Hotel management (different than spa management) more than made it up to us, but the whole situation shouldn't have been allowed to continue in the first place.

The Crooked Branch bar has good cocktails and a sufficient wine selection. The bar snacks, especially the spinach & artichoke dip with amazing chips, is fantastic! Cibolo Moon restaurant, however, continues to be a disappointment. They haven't changed the menu in the five or so years I've been going to the hotel, and it's not a great one at that. More than once, we've had a bad or mediocre meal there, but other than 18 Oaks and the noisy sports bar with unhealthy food, there's no alternative. This time one of our entrees arrived stone cold, another was lukewarm, and one was half okay and half lukewarm. The first night our server Tyler and the food was pretty great, but the second night the server friendly but the food was not. The management comp'ed the cold meal, but again - this is a consistent issue at the restaurant.

Overall, I'll go back just for the warm accommodating staff, Lantana Spa, and brunch, but I'll plan on driving to dinner nearby and definitely, absolutely, positively won't return in the summer.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 4, 2014

We stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa for two nights in August 2014. This is one of the nicest resorts I have been to. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's a great place for family to relax and enjoy the sun and fun. There's no need to leave the property as there are plenty of activities for all ages. We were a party of 10 (grandparents, children and grandchildren). All of us enjoyed the River Bluff Water Experience. Floating the lazy river was a perfect way to relax. The water slides were exciting enough for the teenagers, but also gentle enough for the younger kids. There's plenty shade in the water park which is especially good considering the summer heat in Texas. A golf course surrounds the property for those who are interested. Each night, a live band performed on the north lawn. There are scheduled activities for the kids and families, such as bingo, S'mores in the evening at the firepit, stargazing, etc. Some activities are free and some have a charge. We took a Segway ride around the property one morning and had a blast. You can book the the Segway ride through the website or at the consierge desk. We thought the hotel staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. Our room (7th floor) was very spacious, clean and tastefully decorated and we had a great view of the north lawn and water park. The bathroom was large -- I especially liked the separate tub and shower. We ate in the Cibolo Moon restaurant several times and found the food to be excellent -- great service, too. We had dinner at 18 Oaks -- a bit pricey, but excellent. We also had several meals in the High Velocity Sports Bar which we enjoyed, too. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to have a nice getaway with family or friends.

Room Tip: Our room, which was at the end of a hall on the 7th floor, was very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

The property is gorgeous.

The pools are clean with attentive servers. The kids chix tenders & grilled chix sandwich at the pool are both awesome! Lots of adult beverage choices as well but def pricey. The lazy river, kids splash park & water slides were a blast and well run with no long lines ever. It was easy to get a tube.
We had dinner at Cibilo and it was fab. Some of the best chix fried steak said my hubs and I loved my shrimp salad.
We enjoyed the free cocktails in the lobby bar and all of the live music including band in lobby bar plus outside stage. We two stepped, waltzed and danced to reggae - great night.
The kids went to the 6-10pm kids club and loved it!
We were able to check in early to our room, get a late checkout and self serve parking was free and easy to get a spot. We never waited long in line for anything but when our room key didn't work late at night.
Due to our marriott reward status we were given a king suite with a large beautiful balcony on the 10th floor.
Although def pricey (but also due to adult libations we chose to indulge in), we enjoyed every second and will be back to make new family fun memories. My 4 year son learned to swim in the pool. (:

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Rangerbach
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This property is luxurious, beautiful, with excellent, friendly staff and multiple amenities. It (overall) is what you would expect from a resort: clean, spacious, with lots to do in a very polished, somewhat elite environment. There is very little negative I have to say, but their MAIN issues are of such a great magnitude that I would NOT stay again unless they were fixed.

The room is VERY clean; I believe they make every effort to be stellar in this area; even so far as to purchase mattresses and blankets (duvets) that are some sort of a poly/fiberfill in order to keep sanitized. HOWEVER; you CANNOT move at ALL without making a loud, scratchy/crunchy noise! I have never slept on a bed that was so loud. It almost sounds like someone scratching their nails on a metal window screen. To make the matter an even more difficult situation, the rooms are so quiet that it is even more obvious once the TV is turned off for the night.

So you can understand our terrible experience, imagine the following:
We were so tired from the day that the 4 of us were in our 2 double beds by 10pm. With all the loud noise from the blankets & mattresses, it took a while to settle down. Finally, all becomes quiet. REALLY quiet. While I'm lying in bed, trying NOT to move, listening to the silence, I almost drop off, then the mini-fridge kicks in (loudly). It runs its course, turns off, and then the room is quiet again. My granddaughter in the next bed crunchily turns over in her sleep. Then the other 2 room inhabitants are disturbed by the noise and they have to settle again (noisily). About 5 minutes goes by, then the thermostat LOUDLY clicks on. Due to the "white noise" of the AC fan, I almost drop off until it LOUDLY clicks off again. Back to the quiet. Then I have to roll over! All the noise disturbs the other 2 adults in the room; now everyone is moving. It gets quiet again. Then some motor/machine/fan (?)-- something outside turns on & runs for a few minutes. (We're on the 7th floor, so I can't imagine what it could be from below, but we could still hear it through the glass window.) Then that turns off; now the thermostat again; now more rustling/scratching... It went ON & ON all night... At one point, we all laughed in the darkness (sharing the same thought), it was SO ridiculous!

I continued staring at the ceiling, as the others drifted in and out. I listened to the cyclical routine of the clicks, scratches, fan, rustling, etc. until 2:30! I finally got up, as I could not take it anymore. I grabbed a paperback in the darkness, and then sat in the bathroom so the light would not disturb anyone else, and read for 2 hours until I thought I was so drowsy that I might be able to sleep. I went back to bed, noisily settling in, disturbing everyone else. Despite all the chaos, I finally nodded off about 5am. Due to the noise, my husband got up at 6am, and all of us were up by 7am. It was truly a miserable night I would not want to repeat, EVER.

My adult daughter said her arm had fallen asleep, as she was too afraid to move and disturb everyone else. I had to laugh, as the same thing happened to me in the night.

2 other negatives: The pool/water area is WONDERFUL, but so overcrowded it is completely unenjoyable. They either need a larger space, or to limit the # of people. It was over capacity.

They need better signage. I noticed several people, many times being confused on the Lobby/1st floor/2nd floor set up, not being able to determine how to get to the lobby or their rooms: lots off wrong turns & backtracking. Also at the same time, there were 3 out of 4 elevators not working. At 1 point, all of them got stuck on the Lobby floor. We ended up using the stairs (all the way to the 7th floor).

Obviously, some fine-tuning is still needed. Sorry, I can only give this hotel a 3 out of 5. It seems like in their pursuit of the "resort concept" they forgot some of the most basic needs of a good hotel. I love Marriott, it's a wonderful company, and I started my career with them. JW Marriott truly believed in his "4 Cornerstones of Success". Looks like his namesake in San Antonio has some cracks in one of the pillars.

Room Tip: NOISE is a major issue. Not because of other guests, but the facilities themselves.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Robin E
Reviewed August 3, 2014

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Resort is amazing to venture through. Rooms are nothing special and for the price it's a let down. Real problem is noise all hours of the night. From kids screaming in the hallways to adults yelling late at night then doors slamming, don't plan on a good nights sleep. Then we realized that everything we had on the floor was covered in fire ants. Food was good with good choices but very pricey. Bottom line skip this place during summer due to too many kids, adults acting like kids, and too pricey for what you get.

Room Tip: Go when school is in session or expect lots of noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Good Afternoon CS
We appreciate your candid comments and thank you for acknowledging that our staff was friendly and helpful. I do apologize for any hallway noise that you experienced as during the late evening hours, quiet is absolutely required. Please know that I will review your comments with our Security staff and our evening manager to insure we implement steps to improve.
Thank you and we hope for the honor to welcome you back.

Reviewed August 3, 2014

I brought my daughter and husband along for work conference being held here once I saw hotel online since both had never been to Texas before and glad I did. This JW Marriott did not disappoint. We enjoyed a very nice stay here in well appointed room with spacious bathroom and beautiful view of the golf course and pool. Speaking of the pool, it really is fabulous with its lazy river, waterfalls and especially the amazing slides. My 11-year-old daughter was in heaven and I even joined her for a couple of trips down the slides and my husband for a float down the lazy river.

The staff throughout the property was consistently very nice and accommodating. The food was generally pretty good. They also had some nice activities for the kids and while my daughter thought she was too old for many of them, she enjoyed watching Nemo again at night over the pool and making s'mores at fire pit just outside pool area.

My husband and daughter also enjoyed a round of golf on a very hot Monday morning and paid dearly for it - $409! That seems ridiculously high, wasn't even on the PGA course there, and is my one and really only complaint about the property. We also made a visit to the River Walk in the city, about a 20-minute drive, and I was reminded how charming it is even with the crowds on the night the Spurs won the championship.

Overall a nice visit and I'd recommend this hotel for families.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the pool and golf course - lovely view especially as you go higher up.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family