“Looking for Family Fun? Do Stay Here!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Frisco, Texas
“Looking for Family Fun? Do Stay Here!”
Reviewed July 10, 2014 via mobile

I have known of this resort for quite some time but just recently had the opportunity to treat my family to a long weekend at this secluded Hill Country resort. First impressions are critical and this spot passes the test - upon approach you can't help but be in awe of the massive resort. The staff was very polite at every interaction. The grounds were flawless, restaurants terrific. The true gem here, particularly if you are traveling with kids, is the aquatic park. I simply can't just call this a pool...it is so much more! Water slides, lazy river, energetic baby pool, abundant pool side chairs and umbrellas, even cabanas...they have it all!

I did have a couple disappointing moments and I feel obligated to share those when providing reviews. First, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite member and I used Rewards points to book this stay. My family had stayed the night before at the Marriott Rivercenter (also on points) and had received an upgrade to a suite. I called this resort the morning of check-in to inquire about an upgrade (traveling with a baby, having a separate living room can be a life saver). The professional I spoke with indicated that there was plenty of vacancy during our stay and that an upgrade should not be a problem whatsoever. Great! So, I was a little disappointed at the point of check-in when I was told that my upgrade was simply an upgraded view of the pool area. We didn't even get a full size balcony. I was traveling with 3 other families - none of whom are Marriott Rewards members, all of whom had full size balconies. From my vantage point, there was little appreciation for my status and more focus on rewarding non brand loyal guests who were paying for the stay. Big picture - not a deal breaker...the room was fine and the baby was cooperative. The one real issue I had, which I now realize that I never reported to the property, pertains to the extra pillow and blanket contained in a zipped bag in the top of the closet. I had a need to use those items our 2nd night and, to my horror, when I opened the bag at about 3:00 am, I discovered what appeared to be a dried blood stain on the pillow case and dark black hairs on the blanket. Needless to say, I tossed those right back in the closet. To the resort management, if you happen to read this, please check on this in room 3362 (we just checked out on 7/8/14)..someone else may throw a huge fit.

Overall, despite the couple of hiccups listed above, my family and the 3 we were traveling with all had a great time. We will go back and I am hopeful that the next time around my Platinum Elite status will yield a little better upgrade, whether I am paying or redeeming points.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Investigator1256

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Reviewed July 9, 2014

The person that cleaned our room was exceptional! They are very customer service driven. The only thing that I would say was concerning is that a group of our friends were swimming in the pool after hours and their wallets were stolen. Even though it feels safe, be careful!

The pool area is great, the restaurant by the golf course - excellent.....the main restaurant in the hotel Cibola Moon sp? The lunch menu was better than dinner menu, the service was slow but it is pretty busy in there.

The rooms are very clean and comfortable.

Room Tip: Not sure if there was a bad room.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My eight year old daughter and I just returned from our fifth trip to the JW Marriott. I can't say enough good things about the hotel. The lazy river and waterslides are so much fun, and they have a cute craft or other activity for the kids every day with enough variety to keep them interested. S'mores at night are also a fun tradition. This is the first time that we visited around a holiday, and I have to say that we didn't enjoy the crowds. We figured out how to avoid the busy times by our second day, though, so it was still quite fun. I would recommend staying there during the week to avoid busy weekends.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

No real complaints from the rooms, multiple restaurants, pool, cabanas, lazy river and slides, kids activities (wish they had more geared towards pre-teen age group), service, golf course. This was an absolutely fabulous resort with several things to do and close enough to experience what San Antonio has to offer.

• Stayed June 2014
Austin
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We have stayed at this resort at least 12 times. The hotel is fine with kids. Not one we would pick for couples weekend. This weekend we were celebrating my sons 10th birthday. We tented a sweet an cabana. The guys wanted pizza. We ordered from outside the resort from their fav pizza spot and were addressed rudely by servers (?) and manager (Justin) for having outside food. We would have gladly have ordered from the resort if staff and menus had been visible and our previous experience had not taken well over an hour for service and food! If you choose the spend your hard earned $ and well deserved time off here, I would only do it if it is free or you have exhausted ALL other options. Would rat "0" if an option.

• Stayed July 2014
4 Thank Kspatteson
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

I stayed over the 4th with my wife (only) but have stayed previously with our daughter as well. I travel quite a bit and am a marriott lifetime platinum member. I expect a lot and am somewhat picky. V

This hotel is our now our "local" favorite after the horseshoe bay changed hands. Actually, that may have happened regardless, it's really a nice plan to stay.

The rooms are very big and nicely appointed and very clean. There are many activities going on in parallel, including lots of live music. The 2 drink coupon is a nice touch. And, randomly, one day an employee walked around passing out free cookies.

The food everywhere is excellent. I think it's reasonably priced for a resort. It's better than any other domestic resort I've stated at. Everything from from the quesadillas at the pool to the cibolo moon buffet was tasty and well prepared.

Being a holiday summer weekend the pool was very crowded. Folks were lined up at 7:30am for the 9am pool opening. The Waterpark is very nice The adult pool is a bit small and space is limited but I don't know if this is just an issue during peak periods or not.

For the size of this place, things move well and you don't feel like you're just a number.

If I had to find fault it would be that the garage should be open to self parkers and the pool could use some more chairs (if that's possible to do).

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Mike_Austin74
US
Reviewed July 5, 2014

I just came back from a wonderful, relaxing leisure stay at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa. The property is immaculate with wonderful rooms. The bedroom portion of the suite was amazing. The bathroom is huge and spacious with a door that separates the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. The housekeepers are very tidy and they keep the rooms spotless. I wanted to recognize several staff members that made my stay at the JW just that much more special: Justin Chancellor, Randie Sinclair, Casey Adams, Todd Walther, Chris Potter, Jamie at the concierge desk, Caren at the concierge desk, Anthony at the front desk, Jessica at the front desk, and Norma the housekeeper. I truly had a wonderful stay at this lovely resort. These staff members I have recognized are the epitome of hospitality; I just wish all hotel staff members were just like them. The onsite restaurants (18 Oaks and Cibolo Moon) were terrific as well. I am looking forward to a return visit and staying at the JW again. This JW is truly the best of the best.

Room Tip: High floors are great.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family