“Great Hotel/Staff, Poor Walls/Insulation (Noise Reduction)”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Great Hotel/Staff, Poor Walls/Insulation (Noise Reduction)”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

When you first drive up, you're in disbelief as to how big this thing really is. It's a giant monster in the hill country. It's a beautiful hotel with lots of helpful and attentive wait staff - even the bell hops were inviting and a delight. The food was good at the restaurants and we enjoyed ourselves at the children's pool. The only downside is the insulation and thin walls. There seems to be no noise barriers in the entire building. We had a room on the first floor (which was great because you can walk right out on the grass fro/m the patio) but it seemed that the family above us had a knack for bouncing basketballs on the tile floor, yelling at someone on their cell phones or slamming their door over and over and over. The constant flow of people down the halls would be fine if there was better noise reduction in the walls.
My last note is that, my husband, who is normally a fine sleeper in any condition - slept horribly. The mattress was way too uncomfortable and shook at any tossing and turning. For the $ that was spent on the room - we expected a little better bed comfort than received.

1 Thank Lauren B
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Good Morning Lauren B.
Thank you for spending the time to provide us with detailed feedback regarding your experience at our Resort. We are pleased that you found the service to be attentive and helpful and that you enjoyed the River Bluffs pool facilities and the food in our restaurants. As a side note, our 18 Oaks Restaurant was just named one of San Antonio's top 25 restaurants.

I do sincerely apologize that you did not experience a restful night due to noise and your bedding. As we have started our busy summer leisure season, we do host many families with children and we are taking the necessary steps to insure our guest room areas are quiet in the evenings. We will remain diligent in monitoring this. I will contact you outside of this communication to determine your room number so we might check the bedding in the guestroom you occupied.

Again, thank you and we hope to host you again during your next visit to San Antonio.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (641)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 10, 2014

My family and I stayed at the JW Marriot San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa. We were served everywhere we went and were treated like every guest should be. The restaurants were amazing as well as the pool. My family and I got the chance to rent a cabana at the pool during our stay. Among our arrival our cabana attendant Wesley Brown treated us with amazing service and made us feel at home. He continued to walk us to our cabana while establishing amazing connection with our family. Throughout the course of the day he came to check up on us several times and went over and above to make our day a great one. I have never seen employees that act so upbeat and joyful to serve guests. My family and I will most definitely be returning to this resort.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy J
Friendswood, TX
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This stay was a conference that had been help in Arizona for a long time, and moved to San Antonio for the first time. The Hotel is a copy of the JW Marriott Desert Ridge in Phoenix. It is just larger being 10 stories rather than 5 stories in Arizona. It seems the hotel is great but not bad, but missed some chances to be a perfect event. Meetings in suites had reservations lost, and one breakout meeting that was scheduled at 2:00pm, I had to help the hotel clean up from lunch that ended at 1:00pm.

Room Tip: We had family so we chose to be over the patio area, but I think over looking the pool may be a bett...
Green Features: The hotel uses air conditioning condensate to provide water to the outside water features. This is common in the area.
1 Thank Reggie B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed June 7, 2014

My wife and I came to to this hotel for a week long conference on a Sunday afternoon. The conference was well attended and most of the hotel guests were conference attendees. The grounds and service were nice though all the overall price was still extravagant with a significant conference discount. The main problem came later in the week when families with kids started packing out the hotel. We quickly noticed that there is almost no insulation in the rooms. It sounded like Chuck E Cheese with kinds screaming up and down the hall at 11pm. We won't be coming back unless its monday through thursday.

1 Thank Tyler B
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Good Morning Mr. Tyler B and thank you for taking the time to share you experience while at our Resort last week.

I appreciate your high marks for our service, cleanliness and grounds upkeep and am pleased that you enjoyed your conference.

I do acknowledge that in Texas, once school is out for the summer, our Resort is a great location for families especially due to our fabulous Rivers Bluffs Water Experience. That is no excuse for anyone to have to experience noise the the guest room areas in the evening. Rest assured that we have addressed this and will continue to monitor it, especially on weekends.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Warm Regards
South Carolina
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I'm not used to staying in such nice hotels. I normally travel on more of a budget, and don't really need to feel "pampered". However, I stayed several nights while attending a recent conference.

The first thing I can say about this hotel is it's simply beautiful. From the stone work, to the layout, to the landscaping, it's just a beautiful well kept facility. It is large, quite large, almost on the scale of some Vegas casinos. But, it's well laid out and doesn't feel that large.

Being alone on business, I didn't spend much time at the pool, but I did hit the water park late one afternoon. The water slides aren't overly thrilling for an adult, but they were fun enough that I did them a few times. The pool area is well kept. The only downside is that the plants that add to the beauty, also cause there to be lots of leaves and flower petals floating in the water. They are plants though, so nothing anyone should really be grossed out about.

My room was quite comfortable, and I personally had a great view of the large waterfall feature. The only downside of my room was that it was somewhat loud at night due to the large number of patrons outside, since the patio area was directly below my room. It wasn't so loud though that a little music could drown it out. Plus, the glass blocked the voices enough that I couldn't make out any one voice, so that helps it become more like background noise.

I didn't eat in any of the restaurants, but can say that the food served in the conference facilities was flavorful and well prepared.

The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful. The only negative was that I was told I couldn't use the closed stairway (not closed as in not open, closed as with doors for fire safety). I prefer stairs to the elevator, so I had to use the side stairs which were out of my way.

Green Features: They claim to be environmentally friendly, and in general they are, but it's the same "joke" as all hotels seem to have: hang towels for reuse, floor or elsewhere for new. Even after hanging towels they were changed for fresh each day.
Friendswood
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Must stay experience was awesome. Golf courses were in great condition & every individual that works there seemed to be happy to work there & were excellent help. I wish my team hustled & worked like the Marriott Team. We will be back!

• Stayed June 2014
seven valleys, pa
Reviewed June 6, 2014

I've stayed in San Antonio several times, but never in the Hill Country. We usually travel with the children and stay closer to the River Walk area. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this resort. Though it was HUGE (other reviewers are not exaggerating when they say it rivals the size of a Vegas casino hotel). In fact, one of the only negatives comments I would have is that it is a bit difficult to find your way around the first few times.

The rooms are clean and comfortable with a lovely balcony with chairs. I would have liked a coffee maker in the room, but there is a Starbucks close to the lobby.

We played the golf course twice. It was in amazing shape (one week after the Vallero Texas Open). Definitely a VERY challenging course unless you are a seriously good golfer.

All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and polite.

While there we dined at the Cibolo Moon, Crooked Branch, 18 Oaks and High Velocity (and of course Starbucks). The service was excellent at all. We enjoyed Cibolo Moon the most as it had a much better selection. 18 Oaks (in the same building at the golf club house) was more upscale. The food was outstanding, but the selection is pretty limited if your are not a huge steak eater. High Velocity is your typical bar fare, but it is worth going there just to see the sports bar. I would love to be there during football season! Crooked Branch is better for just VERY limited (I think maybe even pre-made?) snacks. The drink selection and service is pretty good though and the atmosphere is nice.

Sadly, it was too cold for the pool, but I would love to come back another time with the children. They would love the lazy river and slides for sure.

The gym was very hot, but had a great selection of equipment. The exterior walls are all windows facing to a part of the garden area so it's nice to see out while you are working out. Their machines all have their own TVs and they offer complimentary headphones if you forget yours.

I absolutely loved the outdoor fireplaces and seating. It was so relaxing to have a drink by the fire in the evening. I also loved that the hotel was not so uptight as to make you put your drink in a plastic cup outside. (it's the little things in life - but who wants to drink wine out of a plastic cup)

The gift shops on site offer a really good selection. There is even a small golf apparel shop if you didn't have time to hit the pro shop.

Honestly, if you are looking for a place where you never have to leave the property - this is a place to consider. However, if you do, there is plenty near by to do and the city is very easy to get around.

Room Tip: Depends on what you like. Hill country views, pool views. We had a view of the front garden area and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business