“Nice stay but very crowded!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Texas
“Nice stay but very crowded!”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went for a quick trip for one of my son's birthdays, so he and his dad could play the course. I really liked the guy at reception who checked us in. For a fair price he upgraded us to a very nice suite with a terrific location and view. Food in the sports bar and by the pool was pretty good (and I am picky), better than Hyatt and La Cantera, I think. Pool was very crowded on a Thursday, not my cup of tea but fun for kids. Everyone on the the golf course was very friendly and helpful. Grounds and facilities are pretty and well kept. Staff were all pleasant. When we left, the lobby was grand central station, and I was glad to be leaving because I didn't think it could get any more crowded than it already was.

Room Tip: Go in off season
2 Thank dosmadre

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Never, never go to this hotel on a summer weekend. I was told by hotel staff that it is just as bad during a summer weekday. We just left this hotel. Checking in is chaotic since none of the rooms are ready. While,Dolores, who checked us in was just wonderful,nothing else about our experience here was good. I asked for an upgrade and spent $200 extra dollars per night for the room. When we went to the pool with our Grandchildren there were no chairs or any seating available. Since we are in our 70's I called for help and a supervisor came to help and he was unable to find ANY empty chairs for our group. There were also no available tubes for going on the lazy river. Even though the sign says do not hoard tubes at your chairs, everyone does. There was no apparent attempt by staff to change this. I understand that people go to the pool at &:00am to reserve tubes and chairs.There are so many people in the lazy river it does not move. Unless you do valet parking at $28 a day, there is no place to self park. All the parking is taken. We had wi-fi in the room, however, it was over an hour after we checked in until we got it. You will be paying a very premium price for a room you cannot even get in until 4-5 in the afternoon. Then check out is at 11:00am. Even though we called for dinner reservations early in the day we were told that they were not taking anymore reservations. When we finally got in the room and they brought up our luggage, one of the bags was missing. My husband had to go back downstairs and wait will they found it. Other than the pool and slides for kids there is really not anything else to do. If you want to tour San Antonio there are so many better hotels to stay in. Even though we are Gold or Plat.members at Marriott, i would never stay here again. Such a disappointment. Of course, I complained but no one seemed very interested. We left a message for the manager. However, we never heard from him. This hotel is a waste of your money.I had planned a special weekend for my Granddaughter's Graduation. What a miserable disappointment.

2 Thank pmptexas
Abilene, Texas
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resport & Spa for my wifes birthday the first week of July. The resort is beautiful, clean and well kept. The most impressive thing I noticed was the incredible customer service. Everyone that we encountered that was an employee of the resort was friendly, helpful and extremely pleasant. We were so surprised at this because it seems as if good customer service is a thing of the past. A bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries were in the room on my wifes birthday, compliments of the house. I just inquired about it and the resort staff took care of it!! Impressed!! Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The pool was quite big and our 4 year old loved the water slides. Although it was quite crowded we didn't have any difficulties and the lines for the water slides weren't bad at all. Overall, this was a great experience and we will be back for sure!!

Athens, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This review is a little difficult because my experience here was quite mixed - some really nice things but some really bad things as well. On the nice thing its a really nice facility. Well appointed throughout. Rooms were spacious, functional, yet stylish. The facility has a wide array of features and initially has a good presentation.
The problem though emerges in that they can't seem to keep up when occupancy rises. It was apparent on arrival when I had to wait nearly 20 minutes just to pull up for an unload. It continued with having to wait past 4 to get the room. It further presented as the pool was overrun with too many people chasing too few chairs and floating tubes. Further still it was presented when it took 30 minutes to get checked out.
They also aren't really keeping the place up. The nice lawn is being overrun by milkweed.
I think the problem is a basic one - they have far more room capacity than they have facility or staff to serve to provide the expected experience. I expect this sort of thing at regular play places like Great Wolf Lodges, and so on. To be fair the place didn't reach the crowd levels those places have. However, this is a JW Marriot Resort that charges over $300 a night for a basic room. The experience does match either the brand nor the upper cut rate. I feel like I was sold prime steak and got chuck. (which actually matches the experience at their 18 Oaks Restaurant.)

3 Thank Paul M
Richardson
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I found a good rate that included the resort fee and $100 spending money. I selected a roll away bed on-line. I also called and requested a roll away bed. During check in I was informed you could not have a roll away bed in a room with two double beds - it would have been nice to find this out before hand. This was an annoyance but not devastating. The hotel is very large and its spaces are very large in scale. There is great seating in the main lobby and outside. The hotel is in great shape and quite attractive. It is fairly loud and energetic (lots of kids on the weekend). Bands playing indoors and out. The pool complex was great fun. The three water slides were all great and the lines were fairly short (summer weekend). The pool area gets very crowded and it was difficult to find four chairs together to sit and put down our stuff. We enjoyed the bar/lobby area, sports restaurant and regular restaurant. The room was quite nice with a big modern bathroom and nice deck with a pretty view. Wish they had two queen beds instead of doubles but we still slept OK (family with two teenagers). Worked out at the exercise room by the spa - had some very good equipment but was small. Enjoyed the smores and rubber duck race (my daughter came in last and won a prize). Great staff - everyone was extremely friendly except the check in guy, but that was probably due to me being a little upset about the roll away bed. We enjoyed just grabbing some Starbucks muffins/scones for breakfast each day.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 21, 2013

First of all, would like to say that it is indeed a beautiful, clean resort with helpful employees. This is our 2nd stay and we had a good time. I did feel as though the resort fee was way too high. It is now $32 and they add hotel tax to the resort fee which brings it to about $38. I've never seen a resort fee this high. They give you two free drinks but it is a limited selection and if you're not a drinker then there's no benefit to you. Also, if you are a Gold Elite member staying in the summer on a weekend, don't expect anything extra. There's no club floor, or breakfast coupons, or upgrades to be seen. Not sure what Platinum members are offered. Would love to know though. Lastly, the entire day we were in the Adult pool, people were smoking in and around the pool. I even stepped on someone's discarded cigarette....disgusting! The front desk said this was a non-smoking resort but obviously they don't enforce it because the bartenders that walked through the adult area never said a word to the smokers.

Room Tip: The rooms that have two beds are doubles, so they are so much smaller than queens. If you have kids...
1 Thank Leanne P
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We were there for the TWA Convention and this is a well run resort. The adult pool is nice and the pool for the kids is big enough so it doesn't seem crowded. We are here twice a year and look forward to coming back. The only problem we had was a young lady got sick in the adult pool after to many shots and well let's just say they had to clear the pools for awhile.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business