“Super Staycation in SA!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“Super Staycation in SA!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This is our families fourth stay at the JW Marriott in San Antonio. We have spent romantic weekends, conference weekend and family times. This is truely an amazing getaway in San Antonio. Our latest stay over Memorial Day Weekend was well...memorable. The size and scope of the resort, rather large, are contrasted by the details noticed when you stay. This hotel was very popular and large crowds were evident. However, the staff of the hotel was everywhere and ever helpful and friendly. Great weekend for family. Wait was extra long for food at the High Velocity Bar, but again staff made sure we were taken care of. Cibolo Moon for breakfast is a must. Head of the resort was even pitching in and sweeping around our table! All hands were on deck for this weekend. Very enjoyable, relaxing and friendly! Check it out.

Room Tip: Get a terrace for enjoyment of hill country and golf resort views. Take advantage of the Lazy River...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (658)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Spent 3 days here at this newest poshest resort close to Houston. Never saw this many people at a hotel in my life and I have stayed at some big hotels. Hotel is huge by itself and it was flooded with families with small children everywhere. Staff did their best but they were overwhelmed by massive crowds. You want to eat at a sports bar? That would be a three hour wait. No kidding. You want to eat at Cibolo Mexican restaurant? That would be forty five minutes please. Massive pool was teaming with kids. Arrive after nine thirty am and you will have hard time finding a place to lay down. Granted this was a Memorial Day weekend but the staff told me hotel is always this crazy busy when school is not in session. Six restaurants, including a nice steakhouse, well equipped gym, kids club, kids activities, lazy river. Facilities were good considering the hotel is only three years old but all of this was negated by insane number of people. Four Seasons or Ritz would have planned better. Please keep in mind that this hotel is very expensive. Room rates, food and alcohol prices were very high. Twelve dollars for a glass of red wine, thirty dollars for the kids painting class etc. Try this hotel when it's offseason otherwise look for a more quiet and peaceful place.

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Visited resort with my family for a work conference. The hotel room was huge with a nice balcony. The resort is very new and everythng is nicely decorated. The River bluff water area has something for everyone. We used all of the kids water attractions and they were all great. Our son loved the lazy river and all the slides. We did not try the steakhouse, but heard great reviews from our friends attending the conference. The sports bar has humungous screens and plays several different games. The food was presented in interesting ways and the breakfast buffet at Cibolo Moon was very tasty. There is a real Starbucks, not the hotel kind that only makes some of the drinks. Being from the Northeast, we were amazed that everyone said hello and was very courteous to us. I am glad our company paid for the room, I'm sure it was not cheap, but it was definitely worth every penny. I highly recommend this resort. If you plan on making frequent trips to the downtown area, invest in a rental car as a cab ride is about $65 each way.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a great view. We were closer to the pool, which we loved, but quite a ways away f...
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed May 22, 2013

ABout a 20 minute cab ride from the airport if the traffic on 281 is cooperating. We were there for a conference of 3 days, and we tacked on 2 more to just kick back. What a great idea that turned out to be.

The staff there is uniformly great... wait staff at restaurants, room cleaning, front desk. Could not fault them on anything. Lobby is beautiful but not gaudy. Our convention of several hundred plus guests did not overpower the place and it never looked overcrowded. We received a coupon for a welcome drink which was a nice touch.

The Lantana Spa was one of the 2 or 3 best spas I have ever been to. Steam room, sauna, aromatherapy, hot tub, and a great pool with cabanas. We opted for a couples massage that included exfoliation and head massage. It was 2 hours of great relaxation, and our group had negotiated a 15% discount...

Cibolo restaurant in hotel will be covered in a separate review, but it was excellent and reasonable value for a high end hotel.

Were there problems, yes a few, but no deal breakers. No place to hang a wet bathing suit in the bath. Pillows were not comfortable, and while the bed itself was great, the fitted sheets seemed a bit small for the mattress and were loose by morning.

The rooms looked up to date, smelled frest and had a small balcony (various sizes balcony available). The golf courses looked a bit dry, and expect the place to be windy most days. The main pool area was large and full, but never seemed overly crowded due to really good design. Water slides and a lazy river for kids of all ages and sizes.

Very, very happy we got to stay there!!

Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a 3 night getaway. The hotel was beautiful the moment we walked in! We had a room with a balcony. We arrived late to a baby crying in the next room. Due to this being our "romantic weekend" and we would be there 3 nights, we called the front desk to be moved. We were quickly moved to the 7th floor, same room, but better view! It was amazing! I was very pleased with the quick accommodations they made for us. The hotel has many restaurants and outdoor seating that we utilized. We enjoyed laying by the adult pool ALL day and the server was wonderful. We definitely want to bring our kids back seeing that they had many activities for kids! I was very impressed by the whole hotel experience. The only negative thing was the $28/day "Resort Fee", I could understand if it was a one charge stay, but I think it's pricey for a daily fee. Overall, I really loved the resort!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I was there for a corporate session. Staff was very condescending and I felt like every question I had was an imposition.
My flight was late so I needed to take a cab. I called the hotel for the address because I did not have it written down. I was given the zip code. ???! Did they think I was hitching a ride from the post office.
When I asked her to give me the full address she said it so fast I could not write it down. When I asked her to slow down, she said one letter at a time with long pauses; as if we were playing a stupid children's game.
I was never informed that I had internet already charged to my room, so I spent my time trying to use my phone for internet with the lousy 3G/4G coverage there.
If you try to buy anything on site with a credit card, they make you feel inferior or stare at the card until you agree to charge to the room.
The gardeners outside were pleasant and cheerful. Other than that, no one on the hotel staff said "hello". I never heard the words "may I help you" or "thank you" from anyone on staff.
The conference center and grounds were outstanding.
The hotel, retail and restaurant staff need an attitude upgrade.

3 Thank K K
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 18, 2013

As a frequent San Antonio visitor, having stayed on multiple properties, this one is the absolute best. The property is on beautiful grounds and noticably well kept from the moment you enter the parking lot. I was there for meetings with a group of about 200 and the meeting space was first class. One evening we were taken to the Knibbe Ranch, which this property has partnered with, and had an awesome time. A true Texas experience. My room was on the 4th floor, where the balconies are huge! It's May and relatively cool, so my room facing west was not an issue. I wouldn't be on the west side in the summer. The east side has a better view of the hill country anyway. The staff from the valets, check-in, bartenders, housekeeping, and concierge were all top notch. Don't miss the velocity sports bar. Management should be proud of the experience they are providing their guests.

Room Tip: East side of building for best views. 4th floor has large balconies.