“Super friendly staff”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
“Super friendly staff”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed here with my boyfriend for a conference. Just after the Texas Open so the grounds were immaculate! Room was great. Cleaning staff did tend to arrive a little early... All the employees were extremely friendly! Britney with the pool staff was awesome! Only disappointment, they don't serve pitchers of margarita pool side... What?!? We had the bartender make 4 individual margaritas and put in a pitcher... Duh! :) Recommend this be added to menu.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
College Station, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2013

The facilities are simply outstanding and beautiful, inside and out, from the rooms to the restaurants. And the pool and lazy river have something for everyone plus the separate adult pool/hot tub and separate spa pool area. The breakfast buffet at Cibolo Moon is huge and delicious with everything you could imagine and every garnish you could possibly want - whiskey syrup, whiskey butter (among a couple of others), several unique jams/jellies, multiple local types of honey, etc.

Room Tip: It doesn't look like you can go wrong in terms of Hill Country views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Located about 20 minutes from downtown, this is a nice conference locale. TPC golf and spa along with distance from the river walk keep attendees from activities off site. Food was acceptable - nothing exceptional in the restaurant or for conference, but good. Service was expeditious and accommodating and staff appeared to smile and be happy. Resort is spread out and large - not crowded even with a packed hotel. Plenty of space for large 2000 attendee conference or small intimate setting. Downside - not enough outdoor casual seating and gathering areas. Rooms are standard, well appointed and what you would expect for the brand.

• Stayed April 2013
New York
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I, too, just attended a large conference and agree with the other reviewer. I started fawning at the registration desk when the agent gave me a room with a terrace. The property is western beautiful decorated. It was landscaped perfectly. And,the nicest people are in staff. I have told every employee, tweeted and now this review. I suspect this apps a great location to vacation with its spa and lazy pool. Went into town for the Riverwalk. Overall, it was a fantastic four days.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Milton, Georgia
Reviewed April 14, 2013

First of all, let me say my wife and I do not stay at Marriott properties unless we have to because of multiple prior bad experiences with them. In fact, both her business and mine have eliminated them as travel partners due to prior experiences, but we were forced to stay here due to a large seminar being held here. Well, as tradition would dictate, our stay here was riddled with problems from the beginning to end.

When we arrived for a seminar, the hotel was already booked up, but fortunately we had reservations (made in October) which I re-confirmed THE WEEK BEFORE. Based on my last experience with a Marriott, I wanted to make sure they would not screw this up, they assured me we had the rooms we reserved. Well, maybe not. We arrived and immediately the reservation was not in their system. So, we delayed plans for several hours to get this straightened out. In all fairness, and as a positive, the hotel staff at the front desk was (and remained) very friendly and were very helpful in resolving the problem. Nonetheless, as we had experienced in the past, the reservation system at Marriott is fluid, riddled with mistakes, and we have previously had rooms given away with no notice to other guests. This situation, had we not been part of the seminar, undoubtedly would have occurred again.

We then move to the event our group hosted. The hotel put us in the most isolated part of the hotel for the event, and did not advertise the event at all. Why? So they could load up their bars and restaurants downstairs (at inflated prices, of course). After the bill arrived, we were stuck with a ton of extra food and drink (which I am sure they re-appropriated) along with a 24% added in gratuity (and after we were charged, already, for the service personnel). The food was mediocre at best. However, I should have known this would happen given the chain involved.

My wife lost her razor and had to buy a new one from the store downstairs. We expected it to be pricey, but it was $18.00! FOR ONE RAZOR! It gets better. We ate a couple of times (as we were captive on the isolated grounds) at Cibolo Moon, the restaurant downstairs. The service was terrible - 30 min just to get served drinks (water) by a largely empty restaurant. The food was terrible. The entrees, of course, were in the mid $20's. Again, gouge and ignore guests.

We were greeted the next morning by a cleaning crew banging on our door at 8AM. Again, not acceptable at all. The reason? They wanted to get started on their shift early as they complained there were not enough staff for the over booked hotel. Once again, in an effort to squeeze every dime out of the situation, the Marriott overlooks service.

On the positive, I wlll say the grounds are well kept and the work out rooms were well equipped. Then again, for a hotel that runs $300+ per night, one would expect all of this. The guest rooms are also nice, but not $300+ nice, you can find equally nice rooms for far less at any Starwoods mid-level properties.

The hotel is very confusingly laid out and the signage is not always visible. Be prepared to get lost a couple of times along the way.

As I had to expect, there was even trouble with checkout. The system at the hotel was down, and they promised they would email me a receipt. Well, 4 days later, I am still waiting.

Do yourself a favor and unless forced to do so, spend your money staying on the Riverwalk in San Antonio (which is about 18 miles away and also a $50-$60 cab ride away as well). My wife and I travel all the time and dont mind spending money on good hotels, as you can tell from a number of places we have stayed previously on here. This place is not even close to a resort, just priced like one. The Marriott properties in general are overpriced rip-off centers and this one is no exception. Short of the desk staff, which again were excellent. there is little redeeming value in this property.

If you are coming to San Antonio, I advise you stay in one of the multiple Hilton or Sheraton properties in downtown, all of which we would have stayed at (many looked beautiful and we will be staying at one of them when we return next time).

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank manu4t
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Check in was fast and friendly. All staff was friendly. Room and beds were comfortable. We had a blast at the water park. Also, the kids loved roasting s'mores and running around the golf course at night.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from the JW Marriott in San Antonio from a large conference of about 1200 folks. I was greeted warmly with no wait at the registration desk and my room was pretty typical of a Marriott but I noted that there were more than adequate electrical plugs at the desk and near the beds for all my chargers. I was there for 2 nights and did not experience any problems or complaints and the whole conference ran smoothly. I was surprised at the quality of the food at the breakfasts and events at the conference at the hotel since it was way above "hotel" food. All the staff of the hotel was polite and friendly and willing to assist. It is a very large property and I got lost more than once trying to find my way to a meeting. Other than the large meeting meals, I did have lunch with a few folks at Cibolo Moon, a restaurant on the property on its outside covered patio and it was shockingly excellent. I did not have an opportunity to check out the other amenities but overall this was a great experience and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business