“San Antonio Treat”

Ranked #17 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
BC
“San Antonio Treat”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We enjoyed our stay. The rooms were very comfortable. The hotel is so large, so lots of walking. The pool was great as was the staff. We ate dinner at 18 Oaks, and enjoyed our meal. We had breakfast Cibolo Moon, and lunch at Rivertop Grill. All our meals were good.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (651)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed October 26, 2012

This place really knows what customer service means. To give you an example, I was walking down one of the long hallways when I came up on two hotel service people waiting on the elevator. They had two large carpet cleaning devices with them which they must have just used. About the time I arrived the door opened to the elevator and one of the men asked me if I would like this elevator. I said no because my room was on that floor and just a little further down the hallway. I have at other hotels been crammed in a corner of an elevator with service personnel. These guys really understood what it meant to put the customer first.

The food was fantastic and the steak with wine sauce was the BEST I HAVE EVER EATEN. We tried all of the food places including the one in the golf clubhouse. All were first class and very tasty.

The room was so clean that you would have thought we were the first people to have ever stayed in it. The pool was also very amazing with its three water slides and large lazy river. Needless to say, I can't wait for another opportunity to go back.

Room Tip: I do not think there is a bad room in the place. The higher the floor the better the view. I have ne...
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 25, 2012

After spending two nights at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort, I was hooked! I visited the hotel to attend a conference and was blown away by both the property and the service.

In my experience, conference hotels are usually decent but rarely more than that. After all, they already have you. For better or worse, you’re there for the duration and, given the nature of conferences – especially large ones – there will likely be few (if any) other hotels nearby that have space, even if the conference hotel falls into the “for worse” category.

Fortunately, the JW Marriott Hill Country Resort gave me no reason to wish I was staying anywhere else.

The desk clerk upon check-in was very gracious and welcomed me warmly. They could not accommodate my request for a room with a king-sized bed, but she provided me a room with two double beds and what she called “a very nice view.” Although that was not my first choice, the clerk nonetheless made me feel like a valued guest, which is a good first step toward a pleasant stay.

As advertised, the room had a very nice view of one of several courtyards and the golf course beyond. In addition, the room itself was nicely appointed with two beds, an easy chair, flat-screen TV, safe, iron and ironing board, coffee maker with a selection of coffees and teas, and a bath with separate tub and shower, and high-end amenities by Aromatherapy Associates. Augmenting the lush soap and shampoo was a cascade of water that was very soft, a nice change from the hard water at my home.

The desk workstation, complete with a proper task chair, offered A/V inputs so guests can hook their computer to the LG flat screen TV and listen to music at a higher fidelity or watch videos on screen.

The resort boasts at least five restaurants in addition to a bistro at the on-site Lantana Spa.

After my late evening arrival, I opted for nibbles at the Crooked Branch lobby lounge. The bartender as well as several servers made suggestions and one even brought me a menu from the nearby sports bar when it appeared I was having trouble choosing from the bar’s menu. In fact, I was deliberating between two items that had my attention; the addition of another menu made it that much more difficult. Thanks a lot!

Later in my visit, I would enjoy a dinner at 18 Oaks, which is the on-site steak house, and the High Velocity sports bar.

18 Oaks features locally-sourced, grass-fed beef along with seafood and other items. While the selection of wines by the glass was less impressive than it should have been for a resort, my petite filet was perfectly prepared and incredibly tender. The accompaniments, including rolls with salted butter, house-made beef jerky and house-made pickles, added a special touch.

Food in the sports bar was tasty and well-prepared, if typical sports bar fare: fish tacos, burgers, BBQ sandwiches. While prices reflected the resort atmosphere, they were not unreasonable.

The banquet food was the weak point.

As with many conferences, several meals were provided and those catered meals fell far short of the fare in the restaurants. Breakfast offerings, generally egg-based sandwiches, oatmeal, fruit and yogurt, were OK, but little more than that. Of two lunches, the one offering the ubiquitous “rubber chicken” was only fair while the other, featuring a Caesar salad with sliced beef, would earn a rating of “good.”

The one provided dinner, however, stood out for its utter lack of appeal.

A Texas-themed tailgate party offered brats, BBQ sliders, and burgers. Each and every one was disappointing. A fellow conference-goer agreed the brats were bland, the burgers tasteless, and the sliders stale. The food quality was so poor I left the party to find a dinner that would actually satisfy.

Fortunately, BMW was offering guests the opportunity to test-drive a Beemer as part of its Resort Driving Tour and I had acquired a car earlier in the evening, so I was able to go off-property to satisfy both my appetite and my need for speed. Unfortunately, the BMW tour won't be there for long.

Service was outstanding.

Every person I passed in the hall greeted me with a smile and “Good morning!” or “Good afternoon!”

At one point, I was having trouble opening my guest room door, and a call to the front desk brought security within minutes.

Checking out before the end of my conference sessions, the hotel was more than happy to hold my luggage until it was time to depart.

The only drawback is that its location is a bit remote. Guests who don’t have a car will find it inconvenient or expensive to get off property if the need or desire arises.

The resort also offers the River Bluff River Experience, a group of water-based recreation offerings including a pool, water slide, lazy river, and rapids ride. The resort is adjacent to PGA Tours’ TPC San Antonio golf course, and includes a fitness center.

I would definitely return, and gladly recommend this fine property for your consideration.

1 Thank TheTravelPro_us
Piedmont, Oklahoma
Reviewed October 25, 2012

This resort is exceptional. I was there for a conference and towards the end of the conference, there was a Pro Golf tournament being held. The location of the resort gives a bit of seculsion and gives a great view. The hotel itself, with it's amenities, is enormous. If you love golfing, this is a great place to play. I don't golf, but looking at the greens and the fact that the Pro Am was there, should tell you a few things. The grounds around the whole place were kept very nice. The staff was always pleasant and helpful. There are shops located in the hotel and even a Starbucks. There is plenty for the kids to do with the pool and slides and lazy river. There is also a very nice game room. The workout facilities are the best I have ever seen at a hotel. This is very expensive, but if you have the money, this is a great place to stay. The rooms are big and the bathroom is great. There is a separate tub and shower, which I love. The only downside was that the food was just ok for the price and my bathroom kind of smelled like a wet dog.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Beautiful resort! This was our first time at the JW and just loved it. It is very elegant and beyond comfortable. The rooms are nice and cozy. The grounds are breathtaking and you can enjoy the view from your balcony. They have a couple of bars and a restaurant downstairs that are great for socializing. The best part, without a doubt, is the pool area. They have a huge pool, lazy river, kiddie pool, adult pool, and several slides. Loved every part of the pool area, especially the lazy river. It was so relaxing! It is a great place for the whole family....will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, WA
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This is really an impressive place. It reminded me of being at a Hawaiian luxury resort--the warm weather probably helped. The hotel is about 30 minutes north of downtown & 15 minutes north of the airport. It is very large and modern, with a lots of great amenities an on-site PGA golf course, large and attractive conference facilities, an upscale spa, and a great water park, complete with a lazy river, a sports bar, and other amenities. There is also a nearby outlet mall with some good shopping.

I like this area of San Antonio. It is in the hills, so the setting is nice. It is a reasonably short drive to the Riverwalk, which is worth a visit. But the downtown area is a bit dilapidated, outside of the Riverwalk itself. The JW Marriott is in a much more attractive setting.

I'm very impressed.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Great hotel. From the moment we walked in we were greeted right away. The check in was fast and hassle free. Everyone was very welcoming. Lots of things to do with the kids and again everyone was extremely helpful. At the kids zone, they were helpful and even offered my kids to select some board games that they were able to check out and take to the room. Definitely very kid friendly. The food at the 18Oaks restaurant was very good but very pricey.
Overall, we had a great experience and will try to go again.

Room Tip: We had 5 people in our room, my husband and my 3 kids. Their basic room with the 2 double beds, not...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family