“Amazing - STAY HERE!”

Ranked #23 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Dayton, Ohio
“Amazing - STAY HERE!”
Reviewed September 12, 2012

From the moment we spotted this resort from the drive in, we were in awe. If you find yourself in the San Antonio area, I highly recommend making this your stay. We pulled our car up to check in, and were immediately greeted by hotel staff who promptly took our luggage out of the trunk, loaded it on the cart, and wheeled it in the hotel. They guided us to the check in desk, and within 5 min we were headed to our room. I can't get over the staff at this resort. So friendly and helpful. You truly don't have to worry about a thing.

Highlights:

~Pool Area: Thousands and thousands of COMFORTABLE beach chairs! Nice bar as well.

~Spa: Had two treatments here (pricey ~ but avg for resort) and they were both phenomenal. Again, staff was so accomodating and friendly.

~Grounds: Absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Lovely walking trails.

~Laundry room: Spending 10 days away from home, it was wonderful to have a laundry room right around the corner from my hotel room. Everything was provided (detergent, fabric softener). Just another worry that you don't have!

~Drinks: Again, kinda pricey, but normal for resort. They comp you two free drinks at check-in.

I was only here two nights (not long enough!!!!) and didn't have time to explore the ENTIRE resort, but honestly, it was by far the best experience I have had a Marriott, or any resort for that matter.

Thank you JW for a memorable experience!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We had a fantastic time at this resort, and took full advantage of the Lazy River and kids pool area. My 2 year old had a blast and so did we. We stayed a few days before and after Labor Day weekend and while I preferred it without the crowds over the weekend, it was manageable. The room was lovely and the bathroom enormous. We had very good service everywhere we went in the hotel, as well. I would go back in a heartbeat!

My sister also had her wedding here, the ostensible reason for our visit, of course. That went off elegantly and the staff did a great job. The venue was charming, especially the Sunday House.

Some of these other reviews seem to be surprised and/or annoyed this is a family-oritented place. What do you expect with a Lazy River and kiddy water area, etc? It's MEANT to attract families. If you want a hushed, adults-only ambiance go to the Ritz or Four Seasons, or some boutique hotel, etc.

Belton, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Went for a two night getaway with the grandkids. Megan and Brian at the front desk were so knowledgeable and efficient on their own . Any issues we had were actually fixed right away. I thought the food was wonderful at the 2 main restaurants and the lasy river and slides even lured my not-a- big -swimmer husband into the brink with the grandkids. I took a hard spill on Sat morn around 11am and was rescued by one of the Loss Prevention Guys. I can't remember his name but he's a big guy with dark hair. He fixed me up with an ice pack and a Starbucks and even wheeled me to our room. The nicest thing was he didnt make me feel like the idiot I knew I was. I have been to alot of hotels and the staff at this one is special.

Room Tip: The facility is large.If you intend to do alot of swimming ask for a room closer to the pools. You c...
1 Thank nancy n
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 10, 2012

One man’s chalk is another man’s cheese, and if you’re a parent with young children and have at least a few thousand dollars to blow on a high-end hotel, the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort is definitely for you. If you’re a single person on holiday or, like us, a couple escaping for a romantic anniversary weekend, the JW Marriott is less than ideal. This place is infested with kids. Noisy, running, screaming kids, which accounted or at least half of the resort’s guests during our weekend-after-Labor-Day stay. I can’t complain about the resort itself; the rooms were deliriously luxurious and equipped with all of the amenities, the sprawling pool area was well designed, and the restaurants were all high quality. Spending $400 for a room and between $150 and $200 for food per day normally wouldn’t put me into a tailspin, if I felt that money had bought me a bit of R&R. But that’s just too high price to pay to deal with screaming kids all over the place (we were awakened in our room by children thundering down the hall). In actuality, I give this resort two-and-a-half stars, but I’m rounding up to be generous. Also, the adults only Lantana Spa, adjacent to the resort, gave me a bit of respite away from the sound and the fury.

Room Tip: Request a room in an isolated wing, or one that's not in direct proximity to families with small...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa M
Italy
Reviewed September 10, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed at the "other" resort with similar amenities in the past, but the JW is hands AND feet above the competition! This is a huge facility which can sometimes lend itself to be understaffed and unclean....this location was VERY well maintained and the staff were extremely professional. As mentioned in some of the other reviews, we went to lunch and came back to find our umbrella had been "taken." However, it was pretty easy to locate since it was a giant canvas umbrella which was immediately returned. I would suggest that the hotel "install" all of the umbrellas as we saw on one side of the river. Our room was well appointed and the only "miss" was the rollaway we requested in our reservation, then at check-in, again before dinner, and then after returning from dinner....(4) reminders is too much for a facility of this caliber. The poolside lunch was just ... Ok, but the breakfast at the Cibolo was excellent. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone needing a weekend getaway!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2012

One of the best experiences we've had at a hotel/resort! Attending a large conference can frequently have a negative impact on facilities, staff, food & amenities. NOT SO @ a 4-day conference we just attended. The food was delicious and a nice variety at all of the events as well as in the restaurant and out by the pool & lazy river. Every staff member was friendly, courteous and professional and the rooms were large, clean and had turn-down service each night. The lazy river and pool area were great...well-maintained & staffed. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: I can't imagine any room not being a good one. Just ask for one with a view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Antonio
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed 3 days over labor day weekend and have to say that some issues we had in the past were non-existent this time around. This was probably our 6th time staying at this resort and the biggest complaints we had in the past were 1) food at the restaurants was not that good and 2) good luck getting an umbrella at the pool unless you lined up first thing in the morning. This time around the food was quite good! We ate mostly at Cibilo Moon and enjoyed their night buffet. While still a bit pricey, at least the food was enjoyable. One treasure that you HAVE TO TRY is the Spa restaurant (you do not have to use the spa services to eat at the restaurant). The food there was amazing! Limited menu but everything is FRESH!! And to top it off, you get a 15% discount by paying the resort fee as a guest. I highly recommend trying it out.

The other nice surprise was they installed a mulitude of umbrellas in the pool. And, they are the type that are installed in the ground (meaning people cannot steal them which I have seen in the past). One lifeguard said they now have about one umbrella for every three chairs. This REALLY helps when the afternoon summer sun kicks in.

Checkin went smoothly as well. When we walked in, we were asked our name and out comes a book with our keys ready to go. No worrying about checking in at the counter.......everything was quick and smooth. Very nice!

Service this time around was fantastic as well. I have to say, however, that the pool service was slow. Not sure if they were short staffed or just over-run by guests, but ended up going up to the bar to get what we needed. Other than that, service was great wherever we went!

The activities they offered for Labor Day weekend were good. Some of the same as before (Smores, telescopes, hamster balls, etc) but they did offer some new stuff. Had an outdoor band and even some food trucks come in. Only downside was it was the same band and same food trucks for two nights in a row. Would have been nice to get a little variety, but still a nice touch to see some new things!!

Overall a great (but expensive) stay at the JW Marriott. Agree with other reviewers that we cannot stay as often as we like due to the costs, but when we can, we have a great time. Looking forward to the Thanksgiving dinner in November. Been the past two years and well worth it!!

Room Tip: Always ask for rooms with a balcony overlooking the pool or the lawn. These are usually higher pric...