“Fantastic Week at the JW”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family and I spent a wonderful week here at the JW in San Antonio (husband, wife, 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter). I am a Marriott Rewards platinum member and used points for our stay and I must say it was worth all of the time saving my points. My wife and I are already talking about how we can make it back here again soon.

Check in - Got here on a Thursday evening and check in was fast and easy. They offer valet parking, but I went with self-parking to save the cost. It's a bit of an uphill walk, but was no more than a couple of minutes. I found parking pretty easy except one day when the resort was sold out. The lobby was big and beautiful.

Staff - The staff throughout the stay were very accommodating and always helpful. We are pretty self-sufficient, but the concierge helped with a couple requests and the housekeeping staff were great throughout the stay.

Room - We got very lucky with the best upgrade we could have ever asked for. I sent a note letting them know we had 4 people sharing a room with kids and would appreciate a room with extra space if at all possible. D reached out to us and took great care of us. We actually got a regular room with two beds and a connecting suite that included a king size bed and a sitting room with a pull out sofa. The extra space was incredible. The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were great. Great quality and plenty of space.

Pool area - Wow is all I can say. The water slides were a big hit with the kids. The two bigger ones were definitely a lot of fun and the smaller one going into the lazy river was fun throughout the stay. The pool area is really laid out well and the padded lounges are a nice plus. It's great that there is a huge family pool, a lazy river, the slides and an adult only pool with great views.

Restaurants - We enjoyed many meals at the sports bar, pool restaurant and main restaurant. A few nights were busy, but most times there was no wait and the service was great. The quality of the food was good and I was pleasantly surprised at the prices which I thought was pretty reasonable. Usually resorts like this really jack up prices for even basic meals, but could get sandwiches/burgers for like $13-16 and liked the kids meals were like $6. We didn't drink much so can't give any tips on that.

Location - There are great views in the Hill Country. It's only about 30 minutes from the airport and easy to find, but you will need a car. There isn't much within 10 minutes of the resort, but there is a lot around outside that 10 minute loop.

Other amenities - The resort grounds were beautiful and well taken care of. There was a kids club and workout facility which we didn't use. The kids loved the nightly s'mores near the pool. There were always activities and little games for the family going on. The JW is part of the TPC of San Antonio golf facilities (they say only members or JW guests can play there). There are two course. My son and I played on the Canyons course. It was pretty hot and there weren't many players. Course was nice, but greens weren't that great because of the lack of rain.

Keep up the great work JW.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I write this from the balcony of my gorgeous executive suite plus an added bedroom for the kids.

The Room:
Beautiful furnishings
Fabulous bath products
Amazing shower- separate tub (huge)
Comfortable bed - great sheets!!
Balcony- comfy chairs - amazing view!
Great service by everyone we encountered. This staff is trained well and here to accomodate guests.

The Pool:
Sparkly clean! Earlier reviewers noted otherwise whatever happened during that time has been fixed.
Adventurous watersides
Lazy river - just my speed!
Tons of chairs - padded and comfy!
Pool service was friendly and available often.

Restaurants:
Pool restaurant $6 kids meals - fairly priced options loved the fish tacos
High Velocity Sports Bar- very good food for sports bar and again $6 kids meal included a drink too. Tasty options and big salads!
Cibolo Moon- lunch - great service -lots of variety and note: huge portions easy to split meals!

Grounds are pristine.

Adult Pool is really awesome with infinity pool Overlooking golf course and hill country - very tranquil-

We also easily visited Sea Word and Alamo.

Hope to visit again!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My family and I stayed here and we loved it. Everyone we encountered was friendly and offered great service. The kids loved the water rides and pool. The bar located in pool area was convenient and offered easy access for food and drinks. Excellent experience and great service! Thanks Marriott..

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The waterpark is amazing and worth the stay. The buildings are absolutely beautiful. The place has a wonderful feel to it--families having fun. However, that is what the place specializes in...families, which can make for a rather loud visit. We were located on the "quiet" side of the hotel and I was continually woken up all night long. That was especially disappointing in such a nice hotel. I expected thicker walls/doors. I can see why though if you have kids, this is the way to vacation. For us, the adult pool was a nice oasis and it was a pleasure to be able to get into a hot tub without a bunch of kids in it.

On a side note, the hotel is located by some good restaurants as long as you can traverse the baffling road design that is unique to that section of San Antonio (I think the city planners were high when they designed it/approved it). I would recommend Lupe Tortilla (on 281) and the beef fajitas. They are the best beef fajitas anywhere. Drive a little further down 281 to the Donnella exit, look to the left for the giant ice cream cone on Freddie's Frozen custard, do the turn-around (I think its two lights down), and have yourself some excellent frozen custard on the cheap.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C B
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We had a wonderful stay even though the Texas Deer convention was at the resort at the same time. Check in was nice the self parking lot was good hike they encourage valet for 25 a day I walked. Caught a coulple of rides on the random golf car which was nice. The pool and slides were nice. The wait staff was sparse so I just went to the bar and tipped the bartenders. The pool food was great watched a movie and ate at the pool one evening. Sports bar was awesome you could sit outside and feel the ac blowing on you. Breakfast buffet was also very good although we waited for a table only to find numereous empty tables inside. I guess they were short on wait staff.
Great visit will return again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Dogparkdutch
Reviewed August 20, 2012

J W Marriotts as a whole are wonderful properties, but this one is superb! The staff at every level, reception desk, concierge, wait staff etc, cannot do enough for you. There was no request that we made at any time, that wasn't filled with a sincere "My pleasure" and we never received a no to any request that we made.
The property is beautiful, with a huge pool area and huge slide. We met families that come there year after year to enjoy a long week end or more. The buffets serve it all, both breakfast and dinner.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor on the pool side.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This is definitely a 5 star hotel, but that being said it is extremely popular and consequently very crowded during the summer months. It is the place to be for families with young children, the majority of activities cater to such. We traveled with our 4 twenty something children who seemed to enjoy the lazy river, water slides, and beautiful grounds, we stayed at the adult only pool.The hotel has 1002 rooms and it was at 80% occupancy during our stay so yes the restaurants, pool area, are very crowded. Alcoholic drinks served poolside average 12.00 each and lunch ran us aprox. 15.00 per person for a burger or wrap and chips ouch. Rooms are nice, very clean. I guess the best advice I can offer is if you have the luxury, avoid staying there during the peak travel season ( Memorial Day thru Labor Day) to avoid crowds. I will definitely go back, but in the off season.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family