2,810 results
All reviewscibolo moonlazy riverhigh velocityhill countrycrooked branchtpc golf coursepool areaadult poolkids activitieskids clubbeautiful propertylounge chairslobby barlabor day weekendbusiness conferencefire pitconference center
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We took our one-year old daughter here over Labor Day weekend for a fun family getaway. The resort was packed because of the holiday and we apparently were the last people to check in because at first they told us that our booked room type of one king bed wasn't available. Luckily after about 10 minutes, the desk clerk came up with a room, albeit the last room on a very, very long hallway, so farthest from the pool, but that was okay.

The room was great! Clean, modern, comfortable. Bed was super comfortable and we never heard any other guests, so the soundproofing was great. While they did provide pack & plays for babies, we brought our own, and there was perfect spot to put it, right by the door, away from the main room, which was perfect at night when we were trying to be quiet so our baby could sleep.

This resort is FAMILY-oriented!! We received a long list of activities at check-in, including crafts, painting, magic show, etc. Perfect for older kids for sure! Will be even more fun to come back when our daughter is older. But even for a one-year old, we had lots of fun. She loved splashing in the kiddie pool, especially playing on the slide, and the main pool has a graduated entrance, so she could walk out pretty far in that, too. We even all went in the lazy river.. we brought a little baby tube for our daughter, which worked out perfectly. The grounds are beautiful, and she enjoyed running around on the grass, and smelling all the flowers that lined the walkways.

The staff were all super friendly and gracious.. I don't think I ever saw any of them not smiling or asking if we needed anything.

So, the few downfalls.. I wish there had been more variety in dining. We ate at the Velocity Sports Bar two nights and the Cibolo Moon dining room for the buffet one night. I think there is a nicer restaurant that we didn't go to, but to be there with kids and only have two dining options.. (and I thought the food at the buffet wasn't that great.. fajita chicken cold-ish and more dark meat than white meat).. And since this resort is kinda far from anything else, it would have been more time to get in the car and drive to find other places to eat.. we didn't leave the resort the whole time, mainly because we self-parked so far away and also had a one-year old with us!

Also, the service at the pool on Saturday and Sunday was lacking. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to the crowded holiday weekend (as Monday afternoon was much better!) but still.. perhaps they could staff up during super busy times such as this.

Oh, one more thing.. we left two things in the dining rooms.. a sippy cup and a wet wipes canister, which I asked them about later, and they were never recovered.. just seems strange that a server didn't see them and bring to the hostess stand? I've not had such a trouble with lost & found items before.

Oh, and thank goodness we had Marriott points for 2 of our 3 nights.. this place is expensive! A poolside mojito or margarita was $10 each! Again, probably on par with other nice resorts of its caliber, but still.... expensive.

Overall, our family did love this resort. I will give it a high 4 stars and would love to return someday.. the place is less than 2 years old and just a really pretty property. It was an easy 5 hour drive from Dallas and made for a nice, fun weekend getaway with the family.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My husband and I wanted a quick but relaxed getaway for our babymoon. We went to the JW Marriott in the Texas Hill Country. Originallly, we thought it would be great because we could explore the hill country and head into San Antonio. However, we enjoyed the views, restaraunts, and relaxation of the resort so much that we didn't leave until our trip was over. The pools were lovely, floating in the lazy river was perfect for me at 6 months pregnant, and the brunches were incredible. We loved this resort, and are looking forward to going back to enjoy as a couple and as a family. But next time, I'll be sure I'm in a condition in which I can enjoy the waterslides!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamigtx
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Had a great time with friends, but staff acted a bit snobby and annoyed. Could have been the 100s of kids running around all over the place. They do a good job of trying to give non-families some privacy (adult-only pool and hot tub area). But with the water park and activities area, this clearly is a family-centered property. Great if you're bringing kids...if not, don't expect a lot of privacy or romance. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. Resort can be hard to find...check their website for exact driving directions. Cab to Riverwalk was $60 and took 30 mins minimum.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This is a great place for a family or to bring friends. We were there last summer and my granddaughter brought along a friend and I brought along her mother. We had a great time. Servants are so friendly and helpful. Room have everything you need. Such a beautiful place. You want to make this a must do in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We usually stay at La Cantera Resort but it was booked so we decided to try this location. From the beginning, we were disappointed!! The pool was restricted to 4 wrist bands - we had 5 in our group including our 5 year old daughter. We were told that in order for her to go in we would have to purchase another room. Once we finally entered the pool the service was horrible. It wasn't til we stopped someone and explained how upset we were that we were waited on. There were extra activities for the kids but all at an extra charge. The only positive I can say is that the food at the Sports Bar was great.
JW is much more expensive than La Cantera and not worth the extra money - there are FREE actives and designated places just for the kids - the service is better and everyone is happy:) Before you waste your money check availability at La Cantera, you will not be disappointed :)

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family