“A Great Place To Kick Back and Relax”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston
“A Great Place To Kick Back and Relax”
Reviewed April 18, 2011

My husband and I went here last month and enjoyed our time spent.

The rooms are gorgeous with beautiful amenities. Our favorite part was the BEAUTIFUL pool and lazy river. It was such a nice time to relax outside by the beautiful pool all day. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. THE SCALLOPS WERE TO DIE FOR!

They had a beautiful golf course, and the hotel is surrounded by beautiful trees and hills. Its a very nice secluded feeling away from the hustle of the city.

The only thing that was a suprize to us at check in was the 25 dollar per day resort fee on top of your room rate. But using the resort was worth every bit of the 25 dollars paid.

The food, service, and hotel is BEAUTIFUL. Ive been to many Marriott’s around the world and by far this one is one of the best! We will be back!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I was lucky to spend my 10th birthday here. This is a beautiful resort with an awesome water park! It has a splash area for little kids, 2 huge watersides, an adventure river, a lazy river, and 2 huge pools-one for adults and one for families. We had excellent service! They gave us soda, ice cream, and moon pies for my birthday! There is a fire pit where you can make s'mores every night, an arcade, some outdoor games, a pool table, checkers, and cool in room movies. We had 2 rooms that were super big! One room had a king size murphy bed for my parents, and the other had 2 separate beds for us kids. There were no disappointments! So if you want to have a great family vacation, come here!

Room Tip: Be nice
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mariobros3
Lake Zurich, Illinois
Reviewed April 13, 2011

I travel on business throughout the world and there is not one hotel that is perfect, but this one is close. Staff is trained well and it shows. The property is full of things to do for the young and young at heart. From the lazy river to the water slide to the 0 entry pool, to the golf course, fun, fun, fun. For those of us who want nothing but some rest and relaxation, a full treatment spa with an adult only pool (no kids!) for relaxation, soaking up the sun, and a cocktail! Ahhhhh....my kind of place! If you ever have the chance to be in the San Antonio area, please stay at this property; you won't be dissapointed.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We've stayed here five times in the past year. Our five year old daughter LOVES it. The water park, the kids activities (last stay-kite decorating and a duck race). Perfect family spot, s'mores on Friday night is a must. Dive in movies at the pool in the summer are great fun too! Rooms are well appointed, facilities are top notch, golf course is awesome, spa is high quality as well. Here is my one and only complaint. Every time we have stayed there service has been SLOW. We waited thirty minutes for drinks by the pool (it wasn't crowded) and over an hour after placing our lunch order pool side four of the five times we stayed there. Rented a private cabana and spent most ofvthe day asking other guests tobleave the "private cabana" which was frustrating (they did refund us half the cost of the cabana that night). Check in and check out can take 45 minutes if there is a crowd. Frustrating. If I am paying Four Seasons prices I want Four Seasons service. But....the kids LOVE it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Jodyhl
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I stayed for 3 days and 2 nights for a business convention. Facilities were very nice and VERY BIG. This is not a quaint venue for a couples get-away, but was perfect for business needs. Staff was very polite; catered food was good to very good. I did not play the TPC course, but friends did and you had better bring your A-game. All in all, Mariott got this one right.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I have been lucky enough to get to stay here twice for conferences and it is amazing!

The valets, doormen, bellman, and front desk staff all greeted me with smiles upon my arrival. Check in was very fast and my room was beautiful for both stays.

Hotel staff always made eye contact and greeted me, and several people offered to carry my computer bag for me on my way to a meeting room. I later heard a woman telling a friend that when she went to Starbucks in the morning, several hotel associates in line stepped aside and let her by.

The banquet staff is so meticulous and they set lovely rooms. I watched two men carefully setting water pitchers on tables, lining them up perfectly. Later I noticed that they take the same care lining up the legs of the tables.

Every restaurant item I tried was wonderful. The golf course looked amazing, ( I didn't get a chance to play) and all the public lounge areas were comfortable, inviting, and relaxing.

I love this hotel and hope to visit again soon.

• Stayed June 2010
Washington DC
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I was looking for an indulgent spa getaway for my mother, who uses a wheelchair, and a few other friends. We found what we were looking for at this resort. The spa, the grounds, the pools and the hotel itself were beautiful. We spent a lot of time admiring the detail (and expense) of the hotel's decor and its oversized public spaces. They've done a lovely job incorporating the natural elements of the Texas hill country into the themes and colors of the resort. One of our servers remarked that the designers were going for "casual luxury," which perfectly describes what we saw.

We five women loved the spa services and enjoyed lounging by the private spa pool (separate from the water park, no children allowed.) We were very pleased with the food, although the choice of restaurants does become limited after just a few days' stay. We dined at the rather pricey steakhouse, 18 Oaks, on the last night of our visit. Initially we were disappointed that there were two errors among our five entrees -- an overcooked steak, an undercooked salmon dish -- but then were flabbergasted when the waitress informed us that our entire dinner was being comped as an act of apology for the mistakes.

My mother was delighted by the wheelchair-friendly features we found throughout the resort -- flat pathways, accessible bathrooms, a roll-in shower in both our room and at the spa, and a massage therapist (Barbara) who took special care to gently work around her special physical needs. We all were pleased with the comfortable beds and the quiet rooms, where we slept soundly every night.

The staff seemed well-trained in the fine art of luxury hotel service -- well-spoken, polite and gracious, without being intrusive. (Texas servers can sometimes be overly familiar ... I'm happy to say no one called me "honey" or initiated a chatty conversation with me while taking my order.)

I've stayed at lots of high-end hotels and found this resort to be a bargain by comparison. The rates here were similar to those you'd pay in downtown Houston or Dallas, but you have access to all the resort features in addition to the room. I did notice that the taxes on the room increased the price by a whopping $50 per night -- I suppose that's what happens in a state that has no income tax on its own residents. Instead they collect the money they need from non-voting out-of-state visitors like us!

In spite of that, we all agreed that we'd enjoy a return visit, perhaps bringing our families the next time around. There seemed to be a lot there to entertain kids and teenagers over a long weekend or spring break.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family