I was looking for an indulgent spa getaway for my mother, who uses a wheelchair, and a few other friends. We found what we were looking for at this resort. The spa, the grounds, the pools and the hotel itself were beautiful. We spent a lot of time admiring the detail (and expense) of the hotel's decor and its oversized public spaces. They've done a lovely job incorporating the natural elements of the Texas hill country into the themes and colors of the resort. One of our servers remarked that the designers were going for "casual luxury," which perfectly describes what we saw.
We five women loved the spa services and enjoyed lounging by the private spa pool (separate from the water park, no children allowed.) We were very pleased with the food, although the choice of restaurants does become limited after just a few days' stay. We dined at the rather pricey steakhouse, 18 Oaks, on the last night of our visit. Initially we were disappointed that there were two errors among our five entrees -- an overcooked steak, an undercooked salmon dish -- but then were flabbergasted when the waitress informed us that our entire dinner was being comped as an act of apology for the mistakes.
My mother was delighted by the wheelchair-friendly features we found throughout the resort -- flat pathways, accessible bathrooms, a roll-in shower in both our room and at the spa, and a massage therapist (Barbara) who took special care to gently work around her special physical needs. We all were pleased with the comfortable beds and the quiet rooms, where we slept soundly every night.
The staff seemed well-trained in the fine art of luxury hotel service -- well-spoken, polite and gracious, without being intrusive. (Texas servers can sometimes be overly familiar ... I'm happy to say no one called me "honey" or initiated a chatty conversation with me while taking my order.)
I've stayed at lots of high-end hotels and found this resort to be a bargain by comparison. The rates here were similar to those you'd pay in downtown Houston or Dallas, but you have access to all the resort features in addition to the room. I did notice that the taxes on the room increased the price by a whopping $50 per night -- I suppose that's what happens in a state that has no income tax on its own residents. Instead they collect the money they need from non-voting out-of-state visitors like us!
In spite of that, we all agreed that we'd enjoy a return visit, perhaps bringing our families the next time around. There seemed to be a lot there to entertain kids and teenagers over a long weekend or spring break.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa has firmly established itself as the city's premier luxury destination and the renowned resort in Texas' Hill Country. Rated 4-Diamonds by AAA, and just 12 miles from San Antonio International Airport (SAT), our luxury resort features the 36-hole TPC San Antonio golf course, home to the Valero Texas Open, Lantana Spa, a six acre water park and seven restaurants. Our restaurants are sure to please with Texas BBQ, genuine Mexican cuisine and private dining rooms for groups. Our rooms offer cozy beds, scenic views, soft robes & large bathrooms. Guests will also enjoy the open lobby with free Wi-Fi. Whether you're seeking a peaceful respite, productive conference or fun-filled family vacation, our luxurious Hill Country resort will not only exceed your expectations but redefine them altogether. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cancelon, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort And Spa